ID:183514

Okay so I'm sitting here on NewEgg and I'm totally lost when it comes to buying a Motherboard, how do I make sure it will be compatible with everything I want? What do the differnt stats it can have mean?

I already picked out the case for the computer I am going to build and it supports ATX/microATX motherboards..And basically thats all I know..I need help! =P

I'm looking at getting this video card [Is that even a good one?]
And the processor I'm looking at is here [Is it good?]
And I plan on having Vista be the OS..Actually no, but I still want it to be Vista ready, for whenever I decide to upgrade

HELP! heh. This computer will be used for gaming if that helps..

-Dession
Dession wrote:
And the processor I'm looking at is here [Is it good?]

That's a pretty good one. I love the second review listed on the page:
Other Thoughts: This CPU fought Chuck Norris for 15 hours straight and almost won.
Yes on both.
You have selected a great video card and processor :)

One thing though, I've heard that July 24th (Somewhere around that) is the date that Intel is cutting prices of thew new Core 2's and the Core 2 Quad's. My co-worker is planning on purchasing a Core 2 Quad for what he claims is the same price as that Core 2. Even if he's wrong, if they do slash prices, you could be able to get one of the new Core 2 Duo's that were released with the Quads. (The Santa Rosa Core 2's have a little more punch than their previous counterparts)

Also, I have a Radeon x1950 Pro and I absolutely love it. Keep in mind, however, that the card is only DirectX 9 compatible. The Geforce 8600 series supports DX10, and a mid-range 8600 should be about the same price as the card you've chosen. Keep in mind depending on which model and make of x1950's and 8600's you look at can make a difference as well. For example, an x1950 XT could still probably outperform a run-of-the-mill 8600.

Just a couple thoughts. I mean, you can still purchase what you've linked here and still have a kick-butt gaming rig, don't get me wrong! :) You've definitely made some good choices, I'm just offering a couple alternative ideas. :D

Good luck; keep us updated. I'm curious to see your final machine, you'll have to post pictures!

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
Woo! Glad to hear the things I picked out were good..I thought they were but yeah, now for the motherboard...Can someone help me find one that would work with the processor and video card?
In response to Dession
In response to Kujila
Kujila wrote:
Sure! Here you go :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131162

~Kujila

Asus is a good board, but that board does not support SATA II. which is twice as fast as SATA I. Also it only supports DDR2 533 why not go for DDR2 667 or 800. Tell us how much you are willing to spend, so we can pick the most upgradeable board we can find. Do you already have ram and a hard drive? If so what speed ram and what interface hard drive?

Edit: I would personally get this board along with a SATA II hard drive and DDR2 800 ram dual channel. I also noticed that boad Kulija linked doesn't say it supports dual channel and it has onboard video(I know it PCI-E slot) don't get that board. Nice pick on processor though it should be a nice dual core since it has a fat 4mb(shared) L2 cache, my dual core AMD only has 1MB L2 cache. One more note I would also get a floppy drive if you do get a sata hard drive because you might need to install sata drivers when formating windows on the hard drive. I dont know if Vista has native sata driver support maybe someone else would know I have not upgraded yet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131030
In response to Soldierman
Soldierman wrote:
Kujila wrote:
Sure! Here you go :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131162

~Kujila

Asus is a good board, but that board does not support SATA II. which is twice as fast as SATA I. Also it only supports DDR2 533 why not go for DDR2 667 or 800. Tell us how much you are willing to spend, so we can pick the most upgradeable board we can find. Do you already have ram and a hard drive? If so what speed ram and what interface hard drive?

Edit: I would personally get this board along with a SATA II hard drive and DDR2 800 ram dual channel. I also noticed that boad Kulija linked doesn't say it supports dual channel and it has onboard video(I know it PCI-E slot) don't get that board. Nice pick on processor though it should be a nice dual core since it has a fat 4mb(shared) L2 cache, my dual core AMD only has 1MB L2 cache. One more note I would also get a floppy drive if you do get a sata hard drive because you might need to install sata drivers when formating windows on the hard drive. I dont know if Vista has native sata driver support maybe someone else would know I have not upgraded yet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131030

No I don't have anything picked out except the video card and the processor right now. For the ram I was looking at this here. And I plan on buying 2 of them.

My price limit is 100-200..I don't plan on buying everything at once, I'm probably going to buy [at least] one piece every paycheck [2 weeks].

That board you linked me too seems to have some problems, I was reading the reviews.

EDIT: And how's this look for a hard drive?

I picked out this soundcard. This PSU
In response to Dession
Dession wrote:
No I don't have anything picked out except the video card and the processor right now. For the ram I was looking at this here. And I plan on buying 2 of them.

My price limit is 100-200..I don't plan on buying everything at once, I'm probably going to buy [at least] one piece every paycheck [2 weeks].

That board you linked me too seems to have some problems, I was reading the reviews.

EDIT: And how's this look for a hard drive?

I picked out this soundcard. This PSU

Yeah it does have a some bad reviews, I looked through some other boards and most of them had alot of bad reviews probably just operator error :) . You can just look around and just make sure it will support all your other parts. As for the Hard drive that seems like a good deal to me it is SATA II. Power supply is nice one also plenty of power for your setup. Ram is a good deal to me also
Get a P5B Board from ASUS or a P35 board if you want to future proof for DDR3.
Get 667 or 800mhz ram.
Get a SATAII hard disk, seagate, wd or maxtor are normally good.
Wait for Dual Cores to come down in price this month.
So I ordered my case and an extra fan off of Newegg earlier this week and I just got it yesterday.

Here's my case

And I'm confused as to what PSU would work with this case. So yeah can someone help me? I'm looking for a 600-700watt..I guess hah.
I've had really bad luck with ASUS.

Over 4 motherboards that have gone defective on me. They're all the same type (ASUS P5N-E SLI) since it's covered under warranty.

Basically what happens is it gets hot here and even though my graphics card is running at 50 C and my processor 28 C my motherboard seems to fry. I don't know what it is about this board but it's crap. Worse purchase I ever made.

When I called ASUS tech support my first time they told me it was my processor. HAHAHA. My processor. If you have any idea how much testing processor's go through, and then understand the very slim chance that static electricity might actually damage it... there's pretty much no way for the processor to be bad on arrival. SO I sent the board back, got the new one and it worked fine. Now it just died again after a month of working. Stupid fans turn on for just a second then off again. Crap board.
In response to Jon Snow
What would you recommend instead?
In response to Dession
While I personally have had good luck with ASUS, if I had to choose a second it would be GIGABYTE

~Kujila
In response to Dession
MSI I hear has been making some good boards, and if you have the money go with EVGA. They make great overclockable boards if you're into that.

Honestly from personal experience motherboards are hit and miss, there's some good gig boards, asus, etc... just gotta figure out which specific boards are any good.
In response to Jon Snow
Yeah, GIGABYTE is a good company, another good company is ABIT . I personally have a Asus AV8 for 2 years with no problems at all. I also own another computer with a ABIT motherboard too and it works great. As for the boards going bad or being DOA you take that chance with any company.

Yes but you have to take into considering how the company built the board, that's why it's on a board to board basis.

The one I got I didn't pay attention to what I was buying and quickly found out that the heatsink and paste they put on the board is junk, making it run extremely hot even in a ANTEC NINE HUNDRED case!

So you just gotta be careful about those things, and consider the reviews of customers!

That's why neweggs a good one to go with, but you have to be careful with newegg as well... one of my boards, which was bought brand new not OEM had food on it when I opened it up!

So I think they recycle boards that were returned... not sure how it ended up that way.
In response to Dession
I think the CORSAIR 675 2gig (1gx2 sticks) is probably a better deal and performance is negligable. The 675 version was only 70 bucks as well, allowing you to put the money towards a more important part of the computer like the motherboard.

What's your budget?

I can give you some reccomendations if I know your price range.
In response to Jon Snow
YES! Don't use their silver paste, it's HORRIBLE!

~Kujila
So yeah I'm back with questions =P. Someone told me that SLI motherboards don't work with ATI Graphics cards? Is this true?

Well here's my build and could someone tell me if it's all compatible and whatnot?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102102 - Graphics Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017&Tpk=intel - Processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152052 - Harddrive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098 - Ram(x2)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130081 - Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002 - PSU
Page: 1 2