ID:183552

k so I've had two problems with my laptop I wanted fixed (the thing roared to life*... that shouldn't happen!!) so I transplanted the hard drive into another laptop I had of the same model and everything. I booted it up and Windows XP wants me to activate it again, even though I have a user name with 35 unread emails... Windows 2000 doesn't know about emails so I don't know how I could possibly not have activated it in the other computer :O but oh well.

But onto the problem:
The activation key it wants has seven parts to it, but the product code only has five... what is this number and how do I get it without calling anyone**? :O

~~footnotes~~
* - My fan was really, really loud. It kicked on for a few seconds during boot and turned off for a half hour or so.
** - Why does Microsoft have a toll number AND a toll-free number on the screen? Who calls the toll number? Can't Microsoft afford to cover the charges? Or did they hit a rough spot in '02 that they didn't tell the public about?
The number depends on the computer's configuration. Just call them up. I have never had a problem with re-activating. Just don't say you have it installed on more than one computer, (Which I don't think you do) and you will be fine.
Cowdude wrote:
k so I've had two problems with my laptop I wanted fixed (the thing roared to life*... that shouldn't happen!!) so I transplanted the hard drive into another laptop I had of the same model and everything. I booted it up and Windows XP wants me to activate it again, even though I have a user name with 35 unread emails... Windows 2000 doesn't know about emails so I don't know how I could possibly not have activated it in the other computer :O but oh well.

But onto the problem:
The activation key it wants has seven parts to it, but the product code only has five... what is this number and how do I get it without calling anyone**? :O

~~footnotes~~
* - My fan was really, really loud. It kicked on for a few seconds during boot and turned off for a half hour or so.
** - Why does Microsoft have a toll number AND a toll-free number on the screen? Who calls the toll number? Can't Microsoft afford to cover the charges? Or did they hit a rough spot in '02 that they didn't tell the public about?

Perhaps your PC has some sort of auto fan control that turns the fan to low or off with low temperatures.

As for the 2nd question, maybe some people can't call up Toll-Free numbers so an alternative is needed?
Do you mean the WinXP CD key? If so, that's affixed to the bottom of your laptop. I've not heard of a 'WinXP activation code'.
In response to Tiberath
I'll probably have to call then. The activation key is too short (it's five sections and it wants something with seven o_O it must be something only the Microsoft people have.)

In addition to calling them, they also have an option of activation online. Too bad Windows doesn't realize that you need to log in before it loads your network settings =\ the lights on my wireless internet card don't even light up :O
In response to Critical
As for the 2nd question, maybe some people can't call up Toll-Free numbers so an alternative is needed?

Perhaps, the toll number has higher priority?
In response to Cowdude
Cowdude wrote:
I'll probably have to call then. The activation key is too short (it's five sections and it wants something with seven o_O it must be something only the Microsoft people have.)

In addition to calling them, they also have an option of activation online. Too bad Windows doesn't realize that you need to log in before it loads your network settings =\ the lights on my wireless internet card don't even light up :O

Not true, my network card loads up half way through the boot process, before the login screen is even displayed.
In response to Cowdude
Cowdude wrote:

I have always wondered that, lol. Similar to those tv ads claiming : "Need internet? Go to whatever.com today!" or "Telephone service disabled? Call 1-800-123-4567 to try [insert phone company here]"
Just those little things that annoy me at how the methods they provide seem to be forgetting that you wouldn't need it in the first place if you could use said methods, lol.
In response to Jamesburrow
Jamesburrow wrote:
I have always wondered that, lol. Similar to those tv ads claiming : "Need internet? Go to whatever.com today!" or "Telephone service disabled? Call 1-800-123-4567 to try [insert phone company here]"
Just those little things that annoy me at how the methods they provide seem to be forgetting that you wouldn't need it in the first place if you could use said methods, lol.

I use Eftel for an ISP, but say I grow tired of them and I want another one. It's a lot easier to remember the URLs form television commercials than it is to go searching a phone book.

As for the telephone service, Mobile/Cell phones exist, thus calling that number isn't hard either.
In response to Tiberath
I know, I just find it funny, lol.