In response to Ben G
i'm still amused by the thought that Ben might consider homosexuality a hobby.

maybe it should be a hobby- then people could compare it to smoking pot 'recreationally'.

(yes i'm taking things out of some level of context, but then again, that's how my mind works these days)
In response to Airjoe
Airjoe wrote:
Uh, making your own alchol is actually really easy

Also remarkably dangerous, unless you're referring to something like microbrewing or fermenting wine, which some people do at home. Distilling grain alcohol tends to come with a risk of methanol poisoning unless you really know what you're doing.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Airjoe wrote:
Uh, making your own alchol is actually really easy

Also remarkably dangerous, unless you're referring to something like microbrewing or fermenting wine, which some people do at home. Distilling grain alcohol tends to come with a risk of methanol poisoning unless you really know what you're doing.

Lummox JR

Yeah, and then you can get moonshine. Moonshine = bad. Methanol can cause blindness and death, both which aren't good.
In response to Ben G
Ben, I think you want to make yourself believe that it's universally accepted to please yourself, and to make yourself feel that it is ok to smoke pot.
In response to Ben G
Ben G wrote:
Let's look at it this way.

Wikipedia tells me that 2/3 of illicit drug users smoke tobacco.

Roughly 16% of young adults are regular marijuana users. This represents roughly 28,000,000 people in this age group.

1/3 of that is around 9.3 million people.

I think it'd be fair to say that out of these 9.3 million people, if marijuana smoked in regular doses was carcinogenic, a good number of people would have contracted lung cancer, and I bet, were that the case, that not all of them would ashamed of their marijuana use.

Considering lung cancer doesn't tend to appear for a long time in most people, that tells you nothing. Any other cases that might have popped up could have been attributed to non-smoking causes (sometimes it just happens!) or to second-hand smoke.

Lummox JR
In response to Knifo
Knifo wrote:
Ben, I think you want to make yourself believe that it's universally accepted to please yourself, and to make yourself feel that it is ok to smoke pot.

I am pretty sure it is acceptable to please yourself. I touch myself all the time, it is pretty much a healthy part of being a human and alive. I want to ask you Knifo why you think it isn't OK to smoke pot. I have plenty of friends who smoke pot, almost on a regular basis that are good, productive people. And poy is most likely more healthy then it is to smoke normal old cigarettes which are loaded down with all sorts of harmful toxins. And more to the point, I hear less about people being indirectly killed by the misuse of pot then I do about the misuse of alcohol. If anything it shouldn't be acceptable to drink. But that is all based on one person's standard. So I don't think you should be telling people what is and what isn't acceptable.
In response to Revenant Jesus
We didn't need to know that you touch yourself, it's not okay to smoke pot because it's incredibly unhealthy and harmful, and cigarette use can be more or less harmful than pot depending upon one's habits.

You don't hear about people dieing of misusing pot because it's illegal and it sends the wrong messages. Also, regardless of what you may have heard, drinking is MUCH more common than smoking pot. Sorry bud.

And no, it's not okay to bite down into a McDonald's anything. It's acceptable and pleasing, but all it is doing is pleasing your hunger and hurting your health.
In response to Cavern
Where in the world did you get that idea?
In response to DarkView
I agree with you that my view of punishment may have been a little harsh and unnecessary, but if you catch someone numerous times with pot after a number of warning, they stand a chance of being a dealer and if this can't be proven, there should be some form of punishment. I like the idea of house arrest.
In response to Ben G
Ben G wrote:
We call that certain area planet Earth.

No, we call that Ben G's stoner corner of the Earth.

Haha, you know so little about marijuana, it's really laughable.
An ounce of average density marijuana fills a large freezer bag. There are 28 grams in an ounce.
The average blunt contains, at most, 3 grams.
Smoking an ounce of marijuana would cause you to pass out.

Everyone is different and some people can handle an ounce. And even so, if they passed out from smoking an ounce, they still smoked the ounce, did they not? Good.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
if you catch someone numerous times with pot after a number of warning, they stand a chance of being a dealer

Oh, wow. Wow.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
We didn't need to know that you touch yourself, it's not okay to smoke pot because it's incredibly unhealthy and harmful, and cigarette use can be more or less harmful than pot depending upon one's habits.

Okay, so why does the fact that something is unhealthy make it bad? Some people are willing to take risks and live a little.

You don't hear about people dieing of misusing pot because it's illegal and it sends the wrong messages. Also, regardless of what you may have heard, drinking is MUCH more common than smoking pot. Sorry bud.

Hrm. You know, it seems to me that anti-drug agencies would jump on the chance to talk about marijuana-caused deaths, just like they do with every other drug.

"We don't want kids to smoke pot, so we sure as HELL don't want to tell them about these people who died. That's just sending the wrong message."

And no, it's not okay to bite down into a McDonald's anything. It's acceptable and pleasing, but all it is doing is pleasing your hunger and hurting your health.

Thanks for, once again, telling me what it's okay to do with my body. I really don't know what the world would do without your infallible standards.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Considering lung cancer doesn't tend to appear for a long time in most people, that tells you nothing. Any other cases that might have popped up could have been attributed to non-smoking causes (sometimes it just happens!) or to second-hand smoke.

You can explain away a case here and a case there, but really, if marijuana was carcinogenic in normal doses, why hasn't there been one lung cancer case?
In response to Cavern
So. Are you saying that the enforcers of our laws, the police officers and judges, have not broken any laws themselves? Pretty much the same thing.

Not what I said at all... in fact, "pretty much" the exact opposite of what I said.
In response to Ben G

No, you really did imply that. Marijuana smokers don't think that smoking is a healthy habit, and you're implying that it is viewed as such by THOSE DAMN STUPID STONERS!

I know marijuana doesn't make you hallucinate, so I wonder what else you're taking that you see somebody saying these things.

Oh, well. Keep arguing with them, though. I'm feeling really good about my decision to drop out of this and all other BYOND community arguments right now.
In response to Ben G
Ben G wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:

You can explain away a case here and a case there, but really, if marijuana was carcinogenic in normal doses, why hasn't there been one lung cancer case?

You're completely missing his point. He's saying that there could easily have been lung cancer cases resulting from marijuana use that weren't diagnosed as such. It's hard to draw such a connection years or decades after the fact (especially if there is a prevailing preconception that marijuana doesn't cause lung cancer because it's "natural" or whatever), and so people will tend to blame it on a more "obvious" cause. Like second-hand smoke, or just pure chance (you don't need to be a smoker to get lung cancer, after all).
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
You're completely missing his point. He's saying that there could easily have been lung cancer cases resulting from marijuana use that weren't diagnosed as such. It's hard to draw such a connection years or decades after the fact (especially if there is a prevailing preconception that marijuana doesn't cause lung cancer because it's "natural" or whatever), and so people will tend to blame it on a more "obvious" cause. Like second-hand smoke, or just pure chance (you don't need to be a smoker to get lung cancer, after all).

I'm not, but you're sure missing mine. My point is that while that may be true, I am certain that at least -one- case of lung cancer would have been blamed on marijuana. A single one.
In response to Ben G
On what grounds could you possibly assert that? You're making an argument based on personal beliefs about probabilities that you can't possibly justify.

I'm going to exit the conversation now because it's reached the point where everyone is arguing from their own gut feelings without any actual proof. At this stage, any further discussion would be completely unproductive.
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
On what grounds could you possibly assert that? You're making an argument based on personal beliefs about probabilities that you can't possibly justify.

And you're not? You're saying marijuana is a carcinogen, disregarding the fact that there hasn't been a single documented case of a medical professional saying marijuana caused cancer, and you have the audacity to say that I'm speaking from my gut? I'm saying there is insufficient evidence to prove that pot causes cancer - you're saying there is, but all you're doing is making excuses for why the evidence doesn't exist. If you have a compelling argument that medical professionals have missed, please share it.
In response to Ben G
Ben G wrote:
You're saying marijuana is a carcinogen [...]

No, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying there is insufficient evidence to prove that pot causes cancer

And I agree, with the added stipulation that there is also insufficient evidence to prove that pot doesn't cause cancer.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5