ID:183818

I'm really going crazy here, I've looked everywhere, and I am a noob at this, so don't just say, "try partitioning your harddrive" that means crap to me...

Can someone please tell me how to get my computer to Partition a drive, then be able to dual-boot on to Mandriva.

I would really appreciate step-by-step instructions on how to do everything...

I really want to get linux on my computer...

Here is what I got so far, a Window's XP with a 250 gig harddrive...

Please Help!
Do you want Mandriva specifically or just any distro that you might be able to use? OpenSuSE is Novell's free version of Linux and it's pretty great. It will partition your drive for you during the installation and install GRUB loader so you can dual boot.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
If you want to make it easy, just use Ubuntu or Kubuntu.
It guides you through the process very easily.

For more information about BYOND and Linux in General; visit the Linux Guild (http://members.byond.com/linuxguild)
If you're not sane enough to be able to install Linux on your PC, you're not sane enough to operate it. There are many distros out there that offer help, but since you were too stupid to consult those resources you're probably no good at consulting them in the future.

The BYOND Forums are not a place to ask for tutorials, since you should be smart enough to get them yourself.
In response to Android Data
Android Data wrote:
The BYOND Forums are not a place to ask for tutorials, since you should be smart enough to get them yourself.

Your right! The Linux Guild is the place! :)
In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:
Your right! The Linux Guild is the place! :)

Perhaps, but a better suitable place would be the actual support for the distro itself, though Mandriva confuses me with their website.

I wouldn't advise using Mandriva then. Stick with Ubuntu. The installation guide (for the "alternate" cd) can be found here.
Keep in mind you'll have to burn the CD yourself. This is something we could help with (finding the right software and such).
In response to Android Data
A great CD burner is...
BurnCDCC™
This utility is used to burn an ISO file to a CD/DVD/BD disc. Many new systems come with a limited CD/DVD software package which lacks the ability to burn .ISO files.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads/burncdcc.zip
I personally just use Nero. It's always worked for me.
I'm doing Ubuntu, and I have a problem...

So I'm at the partitioning stage, and it shows that I have 2 current partitions...

First off, I have a total of 250 gigs of space on my hard-drive

my first partition

1.) 5.4 gigs K (the letter K apparently means something which I don't understand)

2.) 244.3 gigs

I can also wipe all of my partitions and start from scratch, which seems to make things easier, but my question is, if I delete all my partitions, will all my files on my computer be gone forever?

I don't have a copy of XP to install, and it's to dangerous to just test out...please help me...
In response to Moleboy
Moleboy wrote:
I can also wipe all of my partitions and start from scratch, which seems to make things easier, but my question is, if I delete all my partitions, will all my files on my computer be gone forever?

Yes, they will. So don't do that. =)

Personally I think the Ubuntu installer's way of handling partitioning is pretty crappy. It should be automated better in the (common) case where someone wants to keep all their existing data but just resize the old partitions down and create new ones.
In response to Crispy
It can do that, can't it? I could have sworn there was an option. I haven't had to install Ubuntu on a system where I didn't already have my partitions setup and ready for it in a long time.

I also don't know what goodies the new 7.04 beta have on the install CD. I hear it is a lot better.
In response to Danial.Beta
I hear it is too.
Yes; there is an option both in the GUI and Text Mode installers. I believe it's called "Resize hda1" or something of the such.