ID:183886

Hey, I was just curious what sort of features the wii has. I'm considering getting one, and i've been researching them etc. I was curious about how much they are (I can't find a real price anywhere), what kind of internet capabilities they have (like downloading games, running flsh games etc.). Just any useful information on the wii would be nice, though i'm especially looking of the wii's internet capabilities. Thanks.
You can buy and download a number of old Nintendo games and play them on the Wii (you'll need a gamecube controller or Wii classic controller, I think), plus there's an internet browser (I *think* you'll have to buy that too... it'll be super cheap though, if not free. They had/have a free trial of it though) that can run flash games pretty much fine.

The Wii has as much internet capabilities as the PS3 and XBox 360. No online Wii games out yet, but they will be soon (promise).

The Wii has this stick thing you can use to point and wave about, and the Wii can also play games. It's backward compatible with Gamecube games too, though you'll need gamecube controllers/memory cards for that.
From the prices of the latest gen consoles (Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3), Wii is the cheapest.. it's around $279.99 CAD (which I think is around $250 US or somethin')

The internet capabilities it has is similar to that of DS.. not much in terms of WiFi... sure you can download the opera browser for it from the store (free until June, right now it's a beta version but at the end of March, the full version will be ready to download for free until June and then 20 [or was it 200?] Wii points after that - http://wii.nintendo.com/wiimenu.jsp states it there.) and surf sites and such but there's just so much you can do..

Personally I like it because of the way to play it is unique..
In response to Elation
Thanks, though unfortuantly i've never had another kind of console before and therefore am not sure excactly what the comparision is. :/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii

Someone wasn't researching hard enough.
Probably a better idea to look for games that you like the sound of. The Wii is unique in that it has the motion-sensing controller and the ability to download various SNES, NES, N64, Genesis, Megadrive, etc. games for a price, but beyond that it's a console just like every other console. (Except cheaperr and sexier, clearly).

Games you might find interesting for the Wii include The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Smash Bros.: Brawl, the latest Monkey Ball iteration (I can never remember the name), Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, etc. Some of those aren't released yet.
In response to Nesso
Nesso wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii

Someone wasn't researching hard enough.

Haha, funny, actually, I did read 18 pages of that. I was researching VERY hard. Wikipedia was the first thing I researched >_>.

Anyways, I just needed to hear it from other people.
In response to Jp
Yeah, the legend of zelda twilight princess caught my eye.
Yes the wii can play games from oldr system such as : NEs, SNES, Genesis, and TurboGraphix for now..NeoGeo hasb een confirmed to be added later while there is currently a rumor about Sega Saturn games being playable. The internet browse(free beta) on the wii is free for download until June. AFTER June you will have to pay(about $2); but if you downloaded the trial, you can upgrade to the full one for free. So far, we have the everybody votes channel, weather channel, and news channel besides the default ones that allow picture and video viewing, and picture and video editing(although it won't save). Later, we're suppsoed to be getting a mii rating channel where you vote for which mii do you think looks better; inspired by the notion of there being so many hitler, mario, luigi, etc. miis around. Need any more info, feel free to ask meh. I'm a pretty well informed wii owner. :D
I've got one and I highly recommend it. If you're new to consoles then you're probably either a PC gamer or completely new to gaming.
If you're a PC gamer then you can get the sort of action a XBOX, PS2, XBOX 360 or PS3 offer on your PC pretty easily. You'd probably be better off just buying a good gamepad for the PC.
If you're new to gaming entirely then the Wii is a pretty good starting point. Very easy to use. Being a new console means that it doesn't have heaps and heaps of games but it does have decent games in pretty much every category.

It's particularly good if you enjoy offline multiplayer gaming. There hasn't been much word on online multiplayer gaming yet, but I expect it to be a refined version of the Nintendo DS online systems. They weren't the greatest but were still good.

The PS2 might also be worth checking out. While the majority of games on it are pretty poor quality there are MOUNTAINS of games for it. So there are a few gems in most genres. Compared to the other options it's not as expesnive. Online play is extremely rare. You'll need a slim PS2 console just to connect to the internet, then you'll need an internet compatible game, and then you'll need to find someone else who is playing that particular game. Unless you actually know someone else who owns a Slim PS2 and the same game online play is pretty much worthless.
I wouldn't choose it, but you should probably look into it as an option.
In response to DarkView
Well, the two things that really made me want the wii was the motion detecting remote, (for sword fighting etc.) and the Zelda Twilight Princess. The bonus was the internet on it.
For Basics the Nintendo Wii supports both Nintendo Wii games and Nintendo Gamecube games.

The Nintendo Wii supports all Wii Controllers and Gamecube Controllers. It also has a Gamecube memory card port and a SD card port.

The Nintendo Wii is Wifi compatable, but if you don't have access to WiFi you can pick up a USB to Eithernet adapator for like $30. Or you could just use USB.

There are no online games right now for the Nintendo Wii. But games such as Metroid Prime 3 and Smash Bros. Brawl are supposed to have online ability.

There is a online store where you can buy Nintendo Classic games, and there is already a large wealth of games, I bought a lot of them already. You can also save these games to a SD card just in case something happens. But once you download a game, its yours to keep forever. So if you delete it, you can re-download it for free.

A Nintendo Wii should cost you no more then $250. Anyone saying that it comes with a extra 5 games is BS'ing you. A Nintendo Wii should come with Wii Sports for free, which is like a collection of 5 mini games.

You can download a free demo of the Wii Opera Browser, but I mean, the browser is weak, and to be honest, the PS3 browser is weak too. Both of them are like broken versions of a PC browser. But I can watch NewGrounds cartoons and games with the Wii.

If your curious how it plays games online, we can't tell you yet, but I steal my neighbors WiFi for my PS3 and play Resistance without any lag at all.

It also has different "Channels" on the Wii, like the Weather Channel (which you can see Weather from all over the world), the News Channel and there is a Noteboard function, but right now it is just used for stuff like announced updates and stuff. But later on, a update is supposed to be able to make it, so you can send people messages online, or games like animal crossing, contact you on the Wii dash board.