ID:183933

I am thinking about taking a Java course for a few years. Would it in any way help my understanding of DM? How would it affect my DM knowledge?

Please Reply...Thanks in Advance...

...Moleboy
I think it would be better off doing it the other way around since DM is so simple Java is messy and confusing.
Learning more languages is a good thing to do. It helps you get different perspectives on the languages you already know.

That said, I'm really not a fan of Java. =)
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
I think it would be better off doing it the other way around since DM is so simple Java is messy and confusing.

Agreed, learning DM helped me pick up Java in my class a bit easier. Sadly, my class was crap and we barely learned anything..x.x
In response to Mecha Destroyer JD
What you might be interested in is C# it has its similarity to DM, pretty easy to pick up too.
It'll come easier if you know C++ or C, but if you know any language then you know some what of what to do..
Learning any programming languages would be beneficial to learning other languages. Programming will help you learn how many programs work, and if you experiment with different languages, you learn different things and develop your own style of programming.

If you've already had experience with one language, it's always easier to learn another and your experience can be really helpful if you plan on having a career in programming. I suggest OOP languages. With object-oriented programming, you learn the syntax and style of structured programming. Screw spaghetti code and never get into it.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:

Umm.
You DO know that java is pretty much the most structured language out there, right?
In response to CaptFalcon33035
Java knowledge should definitely make DM easier. As would any C style langauge. You will already know loops operators and statements, DM should be pretty easy for you.
In response to Jermman
Jermman wrote:
A.T.H.K wrote:

Umm.
You DO know that java is pretty much the most structured language out there, right?

It may be clean and structured but you really need to go out of your way to do stuff.
In response to Jermman
Jermman wrote:
Umm.

Yes, in the same way that legal documents are structured; wordy and obtuse.
In response to Jermman
Jermman wrote:
A.T.H.K wrote:

Umm.

Java is a brilliant language whose main flaw is that its designers shouldn't be allowed to write the basic packages for it. Java is so overladen with bizarre design patterns that you almost have to be an expert in factories, observers, producers, and streams to do something as simple as putting an image on a screen.

The language itself has only two important flaws: It has no goto command even though it's supported in bytecode, and it requires that there be only one public class per file. Both of those are flaws of the compilers, not anything critically important to the language itself as far as I can tell.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
1 public class per file is horrible, goto is useful in a switch and to break from a nested loop.
In response to Mecha Destroyer JD
I left my COBOL class going "Well, I suppose it's outdated but it can be useful."

I left my C++ class going "That was fun, I wonder what else I can do with it."

I left my Java class going "What the crap did I just learn?"

Ironically, they were all instructed by the same professor.
In response to SSJ2GohanDBGT
In C++ you need to learn alot before you can make anything useful.
In response to Xx Dark Wizard xX
That depends highly on one's definition of useful. Many companies would find some use out of the mere basics of the program.
In response to SSJ2GohanDBGT
Here here, my programming teacher is quite good at teaching programming even if he has to take it slow for the rest of the class. I just wish sometimes that they would all pay attention rather than play windows games...
I'm personally learning basic right now, simple enough to use, next quarter is Java though, and from what I hear (and according to my teacher) the entire class will hate it.
In response to Deathstar175
If everyone will hate it, why not teach something useful? all year round, like C++? Their are other languages, I know, but if he has already realized the evils of Java, why teach that?
In response to CaptFalcon33035
Better yet teach C#.
In response to Lummox JR
Java is a brilliant language whose main flaw is that its designers shouldn't be allowed to write the basic packages for it. Java is so overladen with bizarre design patterns that you almost have to be an expert in factories, observers, producers, and streams to do something as simple as putting an image on a screen.

Lummox JR

Look up ImageIcon.
Page: 1 2