ID:184047

1) I'm having trouble getting a DOS game (Death Rally) to work :( I've tried using DOSBox but it goes really slow. I turned up the frame skip and CPU cycles even though I dunno what the second of the two terms means (but it maked it go faster~) but it was still jumpy due to the frame skipping and that's no good in a racing game :O and it didn't have sound. Does anyone know of something that I can use in place of DOSBox (Besides a Win98 machine) or something I can do to DOSBox to fix it?

2) Are there any Playstation emulators anyone knows of I can use for netplay, but instead of the second person being player 2 it treats it as a Playstation link cable? It's really annoying trying to find two TVs within the 6-foot distance of the PSX link cable when I wanna play C&C: Red Alert with my cousin. They really needed to make that cable longer =/
Well I cant answer either of those questions, but why dont you get Red Alert for PC and just play that over lan?
Cowdude wrote:
1) I'm having trouble getting a DOS game (Death Rally) to work :( I've tried using DOSBox but it goes really slow. I turned up the frame skip and CPU cycles even though I dunno what the second of the two terms means (but it maked it go faster~) but it was still jumpy due to the frame skipping and that's no good in a racing game :O and it didn't have sound. Does anyone know of something that I can use in place of DOSBox (Besides a Win98 machine) or something I can do to DOSBox to fix it?

For the higher quality DOS games, your computer needs to be REALLY fast to run them properly. CPU Cycles is a magical number. You need to balance the speed & cycles needed by the game with your computer's ability to go that fast. If you don't have sound, and it's jumpy, that's a bad thing. Sound needs even more CPU cycles to emulate it properly. :(

You can play around a lot with DOSBox (some frontends like D-Fend make this easier) but sometimes you really just need a DOS machine. You can find something win95/98-era, and dual-boot linux and DOS on it, or something. :)
In response to Jon88
Wonder why MicroSoft took out the ability to use an atual DOS on XP.
In response to Shlaklava
It's not so much that they took it out as they didn't bother to add it back in. Windows XP and 2000 run off NT which does not require DOS to run. The cmd window is actually a dos emulator. Made for those of us who would rather run a command than use a shortcut(And those of us who like having some feed back from simple programs).

The real problem is Microsoft's half hearted attempt at emulating DOS. You could, however, attempt to install DOS on an Virtual Machine. I have done that in the past to cure my DOS needs, but it can be trouble even finding a copy of DOS these days.