ID:184174

Is anyone else impressed that the Wii is outselling the PS3 at a 3:1 (almost 4:1) box ratio? I've been a Nintendo fan for a long time, but I can definitely see why PSX and PS2 owned the market, from an outreach standpoint. They just had a lot more versatility in games and, frankly, a lot MORE mature content, and a lot more content period.

Being a Nintendo guy, I am obviously happy that the Wii is making the substantial impact that it is, because it will hopefully ensure that Nintendo stays in the console market for years to come. Also, I hope that the negative media regarding the Wii boomerang flying out of people's hands will not affect the sales as far as gift-giving and quality goes. Maybe the media should also say that people aren't bothering to use the wrist straps and exercising a little self control. Just because you CAN swing your arms all crazy doesn't mean you NEED to.

Thoughts on the next-gen battle?

~Polatrite~
Wii for the Wiin! :)
I'm going to get a chance to try out wii tonite, I'll tell you what I think of it. I havn't played any of the next gen consoles yet, but from what I hear, It's going to be a tight lead between PS3 and Wii, with x360 (which, to me, is totally redundent, a 360 rotation puts you back where you started.)

Wii will come out on top.
And on a good note, most third-party companies that design games are backing Nintendo. Like Square Enix. They are behind Nintendo's Wii 100%
In response to Partner420
Partner420 wrote:
And on a good note, most third-party companies that design games are backing Nintendo. Like Square Enix. They are behind Nintendo's Wii 100%

I would be too. Only the financially overpowered developers are probably vouching for the other systems, because investors don't want to take a chance. I'm sure most innovative developers are jumping at the chance to create something on the Wii.
Well, it can't be that shocking. More Wiis+lower cost at Christmas time means that it'll be outselling the PS3, regardless of games and other content specific to either system.

There was one article that mentioned a negative about the Wii being that people were sore after playing. No kidding, that's true about any sort of physical activity you aren't used to.
In response to Polatrite
Not t mention that, I believe, the SDK for the Wii is cheap (~$1.7k, currency unknown).

- GhostAnime
In response to Flame Sage
Although I am a nintendo fan. I like the 360 the best so far. A good game base, that are fun to play and good gameplay and graphics. All Ive heard is negative things from people that have played the Wii (note that this is not from my friends, this is gamestop workers who have played it). They said Red Steel was sort of dumb, kind of a let down. Most of them hadn't played zelda yet but were hoping to get a chance.
Anyone else think it odd that XBOX named thier next-gen system the "XBox 360" whilst the Wii was codenamed "Revolution"?

360 degrees = 1 Revolution

o_o Maybe the original name for the 360 was the XBox Revolution?
Of course it is out selling, there are more of them. The current demand for both Wiis and PS3s are higher than the amount currently being sold. So basic logic says that the one with the most consoles on the selves is going to out sell the other.

But that doesn't mean I don't want the Wii to do well. I plan on owning both a PS3 and a Wii, as soon as I can get my hands on them.
As much as I'd like to say that Nintendo is winning it's just too early and Sony have made too many mistakes that have limited their stock. They've got so few consoles actually out there that it's impossible to tell just how many people want it.
For all we know in spite of selling every PS3 on the planet the day PS3 shipments reach a reasonable level there could be no one left who wants one.
"Thoughts on the next-gen battle?"

Simple really.

Wii will have the most console sells.360 will have the most game sells.PS3 will have somethign in between.

"Being a Nintendo guy, I am obviously happy that the Wii is making the substantial impact that it is, because it will hopefully ensure that Nintendo stays in the console market for years to come."

Maybe, personally i think this is like Nintendo's very own "Limit Break" lol, Nintendo games have been going down in sells every Gen.Nintendo with its new style of play idea with the Wii 'might' grab some fans back but that doesent mean theyl be there next gen.

They already went 3D !!TWICE!!, sells for mario on N64 where 2times wat the best mario sold in GC, now with new 'style' they might get some back, like i said but it wont be so increadible.

Nintendos future has to do with the future 'new franchise' games.Nintendo doesent make new games/chars/etc.

Last new nintendo game was that GC RTS where the chars look like carrots right? o.o "might be fun" but only 1 thing new.
Polatrite wrote:

Maybe the media should also say that people aren't bothering to use the wrist straps and exercising a little self control. Just because you CAN swing your arms all crazy doesn't mean you NEED to.

Yeah that's kinda retarded. Some one in Japan broke their tv around launch date, that needs $2,000+ in repairs. Also, because of this Nintendo made a wii-mote with a thicker string(the one that connects the strap to the controller). You should have fun with the wii, but not TOO much fun(My video btw ^_^)..
In response to Anthony7
The Wii is winning now, that is plain to see. However, each generation of a game console is expected to last 5+ years. The 360 and PS3 are future proof, where as the Wii is not.

I know a lot of people who have bought a Wii and could not stop playing for days but then after that it gets boring. The Wii does not have enduring appeal. It's more of a console you pull out of the cupbord when your throwing a party.

I am not a fan of any of the companies but I do appreciate the tactics used by each of the companies, Microsoft releasing the console early, Sony releasing the most powerful machine with so many added features and Nintendo trying to change theidea of gaming.

My verdict, Sony will remain the market leader with Microsoft eating up ground and Nintendo still in the background.

PS. Anyone notice that sales of the PS2 overshadowed all the next-gen consoles. People think Sony are in trouble but they have so much $$$.
In response to Yellowmc
Hopefully Nintendo will release a slightly more 'orthodox' controller when the hype about the Wiimote dies down - I love the idea, but I think that people need familiarity sometimes.
What I think would suck is if every developer used the motion sensitivity simply because they can - although it'll be fantastic in most cases, it'll suck in some departments.

I can't wait to play Red Steel. Time Crisis meets a kind of Kill Bill theme. Yay!
In response to Yellowmc
Yellowmc wrote:
PS. Anyone notice that sales of the PS2 overshadowed all the next-gen consoles. People think Sony are in trouble but they have so much $$$.

Actually, Sony hasn't been doing so well financially. Nintendo Profits Up 72%, Sony's Down 94%

Nintendo is the one with ~$15 billion in the bank, anyways.
In response to Yellowmc
Yellowmc wrote:
People think Sony are in trouble but they have so much $$$.

They've got lots of money but what makes you think they want to spend it keeping afloat a console that is losing money? Having the Sony brand name in the gaming industry is important to them, but at the same time it has it's price.

I'm sure they'll end up making the money back on the PS3 eventually, but all these mistakes have really pushed them across a line the people paying their bills wouldn't normally allow them to cross.
In response to Hazman
They actually do have a more orthodox controller out right now.
In response to Hazman
There's already the 'classic' controller, which looks roughly like a GC controller with extra buttons. It's used mainly for Virtual Console games, but there are apparently some Wii games that will use it.