ID:184489

Bleh. This's been gnawing at me for a while. Namely, something funky with the driver is causing a loud background squealing generated by the microphone output. (Not the microphone, I was able to confirm this much.)

Edit: Clarification: The squealing is transmitted over any sort of voice chat program or sound recording, not coming from the PC itself.

I'd like to fix it, but at this point I'm starting to run out of ideas. If anybody knows any solutions, I'm running an HP a1510n, sound card apparently being Realtek HD Audio or something similar.

If anybody needs any more details, page me or reply to this with what manner of detail(s) you need and I'll try to get them in as quickly as possible.

Any help is much appreciated!

Edit: Changed the topic name to something a bit more relevant.
I hear the same squealing noise come from my Dell E1405 and I still haven't figured out what causes it. Also only time I hear it is when the room is quiet, other then that I don't.

~Link899~
Go into windows sound controls -> options -> properties.
Select "adjust volume for: recording" and hit okay. Make sure "advanced controls" is checked in the menu and go to microphone, hit advanced. Check to see if MIC Boost is on, this causes distortion/noise/squeeling sometimes depending on your hardware and the voice program you are using. Other than this, I'm not quite sure what could cause your problem.
In response to Hobbesx
Unfortunately, Advanced Properties is grayed out for some reason, and for the microphone menu, it's more "Line in/Mic in" than its own thing.
In response to Hanns
Then try this: Go back to the properties dialog and switch to recording. At the bottom there is a list that should say "Show the following volume controls:" check to see if Microphone is listed there. It might just be unchecked.
I'm not sure what's up with the advanced being greyed out but you can try checking on Skype.com's audio/mic set up guides, this is where I learned a bunch of this stuff.
I have learned that things like wires touching the sides of your case and whatnot will cause loose signals to go into the mic jack. I think this is caused by slight power increases that equal roughly to what is required to power a mic. The human body, for example, can cause increased noise squeak or hum when directly contacting the mic input hole. If possible, make sure that there are no unshielded wires touching the case and that your mic port is correctly fit into the faceplate for your case.

Outside of that and what others have said, I cannot help you.