ID:1844991

Resolved
BYOND Version:507
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 42.0.2311.135
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
I recently upgraded a failed GTX 570 video card to a GTX 760. Since that update, BYOND can no longer start in hardware accelerated mode, as it instantly crashes. Switching to software rendering solves the issue and allows games to run, albeit with the loss of hardware-only graphics features.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Start Dream Seeker with hardware acceleration on
2. Dream Seeker window appears, all-white except for black rectangle in center
3. App Crash dialog pops up

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
Not Applicable

Expected Results:
No crash

Actual Results:
Instant crash

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time
In other games? Every Time
In other user accounts? Not tested
On other computers? Not applicable?

When does the problem NOT occur? When I run in software rendering. Not gonna pull the GPU for this, sorry!

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? Not tested

Workarounds:
Use software rendering
Can you provide any crash details, like which module and offset the crash occur at? Without more info my hands are tied, but there might be something simple I can catch if I can trace it.
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: dreamseeker.exe
Application Version: 5.0.507.1283
Application Timestamp: 552dc6aa
Fault Module Name: nvd3dum.dll
Fault Module Version: 9.18.13.5012
Fault Module Timestamp: 55258e66
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 006ecc94
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: bc92
Additional Information 2: bc92d49f19a89c81d5cb9ed4e2730fc0
Additional Information 3: 8390
Additional Information 4: 83909b66301bf7afa0348d4a6aad2670

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
Hrm, that crash is in their DLL. I actually would recommend you report that info to your video card's manufacturer. Also, you should see if they have a driver update available.
I'm running the latest drivers. I've lodged a bug report, and if anything comes from that relevant to this thread, I'll post it.
Thanks. If there's any way you can think of to get a stack trace, like via a Dr. Watson alternative, that'd be a huge help too. If you can trace the stack back into dreamseeker.exe code (one of the helper DLLs isn't likely, as they don't deal with DirectX), it might also be possible for me to figure out which calls are upsetting the driver.
I'll see what I can do. I have a dumpfile from the crash, so I'll see what I can glean from it. I'll forward you a link to the download privately if you want it; it's roughly 130MB uncompressed, 36MB compressed
Unfortunately I can't seem to rewind the stack to get a trace for you, I only get a single line's worth of information:

0:000> Kb
ChildEBP RetAddr Args to Child
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
0028d534 00000000 0028d650 00000000 06169000 nvd3dum!QueryOglResource+0x23bf4
That might mean it crashes at loading the dll or during a operation in a separate thread.

How ever what might also be happening, and was an issue I used to run into with dlls, was that two versions could be loaded and conflict with each other.

One thing to try (make a system restore point before doing this just in case) is uninstalling nvidea's program from add and remove programs, booting into safe mode, opening up device manager, check show hidden devices, and removing both versions of nvidea in the display adapter list (since you said you recently upgraded, you should have two in there) rebooting, and reinstalling the driver for the new one.
As a followup to this, the crash was found to be caused by MSI Afterburner. That had been there from 6 years ago when the computer originally got made, I guess it just became incompatible with everything as of a recent driver update.
Ah! Thanks for the update. I'll close the issue.
Lummox JR resolved issue
It turns out that literally every DirectX app had been affected.

I just hadn't noticed since openGL worked fine, and everything I'd been playing was openGL.
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: dreamseeker.exe
Application Version: 5.0.507.1283
Application Timestamp: 552dc6aa
Fault Module Name: nvd3dum.dll

same problem

In response to Jiskou
The solution is already in this thread.
sorry Lummox JR but i cant find anything useful
but i recently found a new trick to get rid of this problem

the only thing what i do is to change the setting to "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" options in setting and solved by issue
you can see link
but thanks for reply
In response to Jiskou
When you link to a site, you need to put the http:// or https:// in the link. Your link is broken.