Yes, I love my job.

Good to hear :)
In response to Flick
Flick wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
Yes, I love my job.

Good to hear :)

:D Dang Straight.
I teach basic web development and multimedia design at a local college here in Copenhagen, Denmark. Surrounded by a class population largely consisting of women age 20-30, I'd have to say that I love my job. :)
A few months ago, in a very weird turn away from the normal business-to-business sales that I'm used to, I got a job as a Corrections Officer in a county jail facility.

What's weird is that I really do enjoy my job. It's new, it's completely random from day to day and even my worst days where I have inmates bucking up to me looking for a fight, I leave with a smile on my face because they've just been painted from head to toe with OC. And if you've never been hit with a 10% OC concentration from a Mk9 canister, "suck" is not even close to being a valid descriptor.

It's something totally new and, honestly, I think gives you an absolutely unparalleled insight into management and how to handle people as a supervisor. I sit in a unit, no weapons, just restraints and a radio, so it's not like I can really be a dick to these guys if I wanted too. You understand that most are good people who just screwed up, but that you need to be careful how to act around them, because most of them could whip your ass pretty confidently if you start playing "supercop".

I've learned that you have to be patient sometimes, but I also know when I need to light a fire and go into "asshole mode" to get them in the direction where I need. I earn enough respect from the people I supervise that I almost never have to raise my voice. They know when I give a directive to follow it, because I've never given them a reason otherwise and, because of that rapport, they are far more hesitant to disrespect me by disobeying a direct order.

So yeah, my job goes from dangerous to mind-numbingly boring some days, but I love it none-the-less. It should also be known that I'm not a "big" guy, either. I weigh 145 lbs at 5'11" and am thin as a rail, but to them, I'm the "cool" officer. Lol.
Page: 1 2