ID:184737

Why do you disallow non-members from commenting on your blog?

I lost my membership a few days ago, but I've still been constantly browsing the BYONDMembers site because I enjoy it. However, whenever I feel like leaving a comment about a blog post, I find that the person does not allow non-members to post.

It's pretty discouraging to see this everywhere I go, and I'm starting to visit the BYONDMembers site less and less-- it's probably the same reason people who haven't ever been Members don't feel like becoming one. They see that they're disallowed from posting comments, and feel as if they're unwanted; as if they shouldn't even be on the BYONDMembers site.

So my question to those who don't allow non-members to comment is: why?
I do allow it for mainly those reasons.
Though I allow non-members to comment on my blog entries, my guess is that the reason others do not is that it is seen as a way for them to encourage others to join...

"If you were a BYOND Member, you could comment! So go sign up and join in the fun!"

However, you may be right that it has the opposite effect...
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
SuperSaiyanGokuX wrote:
"If you were a BYOND Member, you could comment! So go sign up and join in the fun!"

If you were a member, you could make your own posts for people to comment on. If people don't get to jack around with the member's page, they'll be less inclined to join.
Yeah, I lost my membership just a week or so ago. After looking around the members sites the ammount of people who only allow Members to comment is discouraging.

There are heaps of great posts to reply on, but you just cant do it.
I never understood it when I was a non-member too, and I still don't. I always allow non-member comments.

Though, one reason might be is to keep out the trolls: most trolls on BYOND are not members...

O-matic
In response to O-matic
O-matic wrote:
I always allow non-member comments.

Yeah, same. Too much "YOU MUST BE A BYOND MEMBER" zeal is counterproductive I think...

Though, one reason might be is to keep out the trolls: most trolls on BYOND are not members...

And even if they are, they'll only have one (or maybe two) Membership keys. =)
I just went and rechecked on that. It appears that default has been changed and it now defaults to checked.

Byond is changing so many things now I can't keep up with all these little changes.

<s>I think one of the biggest reasons for this might be that the checkbox for allowing non-members to comment is unchecked by default, and people just either don't realise their disallowing it or don't bother clicking it even if they do.

If it was checked by default we would probably see more posts where non-members could comment.</s>
I haaaaaated not being able to reply to someone's topic because of not being a member myself, so I make sure to leave the check box in at all times. Someone being a premium member doesn't make what he has to say any more worthwhile than anybody else. It felt a bit discriminatory, to me.

Yeah, there's the ban system, but people are so idiotic with it they seem to cause more problems than the ban solves. "I've had enough of you so I've banned you from my journal AND I MUST LET THE ENTIRE WORLD KNOW BECAUSE WE OBVIOUSLY ALL CARE ABOUT MY PETTY DRAMA."

I look at the journals (I hate the word blog) as a seperate, unmoderated set of forums. It's generally much more entertaining to read but it reeks of attention seeking. I'm not saying I'm guiltless for that. :( Just a comment.

The only value I see in a membership is getting back the ability to page people that everyone used to have.
In response to Loduwijk
The default status of the checkbox is determined by the value of the option in your member preferences.
Zaole wrote:
So my question to those who don't allow non-members to comment is: why?

because we have the right to choose who we want to comment on our threads. seems pretty simple and straightforward to me!
In response to O-matic
O-matic wrote:
I never understood it when I was a non-member too, and I still don't. I always allow non-member comments.

O-matic

whats a troll?
In response to Eurobusker
Generally, people who get on the internet and have nothing better to do but make nasty comment on blogs, forums, etc.
Eurobusker wrote:
whats a troll?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll ;)

O-matic
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
O-matic wrote:
I always allow non-member comments.

Yeah, same. Too much "YOU MUST BE A BYOND MEMBER" zeal is counterproductive I think...

Yeah, as said earlier, it rather makes them feel unwelcome to the community...

O-matic
In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
because we have the right to choose who we want to comment on our threads. seems pretty simple and straightforward to me!

The question was 'why do you use that right?'. Heh. :P

O-matic
Eurobusker wrote:
whats a troll?

Look at me.
Now avoid me.
In response to Android Data
Admitting your problem is the first step to solving it greatness.
In response to O-matic
O-matic wrote:
The question was 'why do you use that right?'

digitalmouse wrote:
because we have the right to choose who we want to comment on our threads.

because we can.
In response to digitalmouse
Once I tried to make a joke post that only non-members could post in but Byond wouldn't let me and it made me sad. :(
Page: 1 2