ID:184739

For some strange reason sometimes when I download or upload files, (the box that lets you chose where to save the file or where the file is on your computer) after I click Save or Open it crashes. And not just in BYOND, on any and all programs. I have Windows XP. If you need anymore information please ask.
Which browser?
In response to Soccerking
All, BYOND Browser, Firefox, IE
In response to Y2kEric
Probably, one or several of the .dlls controlling that type of dialog box is corrupted. I think. Iunno.
In response to Jp
It happens on any type of dialog box, including the one in dream seeker.
In response to Y2kEric
that's because they all call the same dll. The dll is in one central location, shell32.dll
In response to Jerico2day
What can I do?
In response to Y2kEric
Reinstall windows! :P

On a slightly more serious tangent, if there's a 'repair installation' option for your windows install, that might work. Or you could replace the .dll if you could find a copy of it on your cd. I'm not sure what .dll it is.
In response to Jp
Try running the System File Checker, make sure you haven't got any viruses or spyware, and try disabling any background processes that might be the culprit. If all that fails, reinstalling Windows sounds like the only option.
In response to Crispy
yep, sfc cured my problem up. just a day or two ago, clicking on my computer, the drives would take +30 secs to show up, and anything that had to display the drives took that long..

sfc fixed it up, put in my sp2 disc and the files were replaced, and everything's fine.

I believe in the command prompt, all I had to type in xp was sfc /scannow
In response to Jerico2day
Thanks, I am doing it now. I just want to know how do the files get messed up i the first place?
In response to Y2kEric
Some (broken) installers sometimes overwrite system DLLs with their own versions. Apparently this is the way you were "supposed" to do it back in the day (provided you checked the DLL version numbers so that you were never overwriting newer DLLs with older ones), but of course most DLLs aren't fully backwards-compatible to all of their old versions, and some extremely broken installers would actually overwrite the DLL with their version even if it was an older one.

Needless to say, this can cause problems. =)