ID:184860

This is annoying the hell out of me - I've got a laptop recently, and using Firefox on it is strange - Firefox seems to be going 'back', randomly, every so often. It only seems to happen when I just start using the touchpad - right when I put my finger on it. It happens often enough that it's making it difficult to do anything online. I can't seem to make it happen when I want it to - it just happens. It's strange.

Any ideas how to fix it?
Don't use Firefox i know that may seem evil saying it but you might have to stick with eww IE...
Check your pad settings. Many laptops feature pad hotspots that are bound to forward and back comands for browsing and whatnot. There is a good chance that you are hitting the hotspot when you go to click it.
My first thought was mouse gestures, but no -- looks like it's a touchpad driver misfeature.

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-3478.html
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48523

Should have Googled it. ;-)
In response to A.T.H.K
No IE for Linux.
In response to Crispy
Yes, I should have. Thanks, Crispy, that worked. :)

Of course, I didn't know that I have a 'Synaptic' touchpad (I assume it's a brand name?) nor did I know that touchpads occasionally come with that feature - I'm not exactly laptop-savvy, yet. :P
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
No IE for Linux.

You didn't say that it was linux ... :P
In response to A.T.H.K
I just noticed that. Should have.

I sort of assumed it would be obvious. I mean, what sort of silly person uses windows if they can help it? :P
In response to Jp
ahaha good point.. good point i just game on it virtual machine my unbuntu..
In response to Jp
Heh, my lappy runs Ubuntu. It took a good bit of elbow grease, but I am happy to say that it is now running great.

My only real problems currently are with the touchpad. Typing can be a pain because the touchpad is so sensitive that my hand simply moving too close to the pad will cause a click, normally outside of whatever I am typing in.

I have been meaning to get an external mouse and keyboard for my laptop, just haven't got to it.

But yes, I was not sure what OS you where using. I assumed you where using windows because most people do. It is the safe guess, most of the time.

Synaptic makes most laptop touch pads. I am not sure if it is a patent issue or if it is just cheapest to buy from them rather than developing their own. I am not sure how much they vary from model to model. If they are all mostly the same, I am sure there is some sort of a tool for configuring a Synaptic touchpad in X11.