ID:184892

I think that the motion sensitive controller will make "Jack Thompson" do something. He might say something like, "You alreadly have violent games, now your teaching the gamers how to kill people." You think the motion sensitive controller is a good idea?
Ah, yes - instead of "murder simulators", we'll now have "the-quickest-way-to-a-man's-heart-is-up-through-his-stomach- with-a-knife simulators". Capital!
Who cares what the nut-jub thinks. As long as he dosn't get more than 10 congress people thinking this I don't really care. He can go ranting and raving and make himself look like an idiot all he likes.
In response to Dark_Shadow_Ninja
I don't care what he says at all... I'm in Canada, so I don't think he has any sway over my stabbing control motions... *grabs his mouse and pretends it's a Link's Sword* >_>

§atans§pawn
I think you have a very good point. This is the reason that we cant begin developing virtual reality, people make evil and voilent games because it sells and they dont give a <font color=green>[foul language is not permitted on the BYOND forums]</font> about anything else. I hate the guts of people like that because they are so selfish, but alas, there is nothing we can do...
Yeah well, if thats the case why hasn't Jack Thompson freaked out over the Resident Evil 4 Chainsaw controller?

The fact is, Mr.Thompson is nothing but old news. He was another idiot who thought he could get rich quick by being stupid in court.

Last time I checked, the last group he was suing, actually tried to counter sue so he could never work in Flordia as a attorney again..

He is nothing but a laughing stock and isn't something to be concerned about.
In response to Carved in Shadows
Uhh, what are you talking about? Have you gone to an aracade recently? I heard this place has virutal reality games. We have began developing them, the problem is that it's not cheap and can't be done on consoles yet.

People make evil and voilent games because that's what sells. Majority of people find them fun, and that's just plain stupid. You want to know why I play GTA or any other shootem up game? It's to relive stress and prevent myself from getting to the point where I would really consider blowing someone's brains out. If you don't like the games, than don't buy them.

Im with you Dark when i get angry i just grab the xbox halo2 , gta sa and black (not being racisted its a freakin game) i don't think ill go out to start shooting up people from on top of a building because i can do that in a game all i know is if i had a gun i would take it outside my draw unless someone is robbing my house whilst iam inside and then i still would not kill them just shoot them in the leg or get a baseball bat and wack em a few times until i have it under control :P.
Dark_Shadow_Ninja wrote:
It's to relive stress and prevent myself from getting to the point where I would really consider blowing someone's brains out.

If you seriously need to relieve that sort of stress you shouldn't be playing violent video games. You've got serious problems that need to be delt with. Using violent games as a release valve is just applying a temporary fix that will make things worse in the long run.
In response to DarkView
What?! I completely disagree. Having a way to let off steam is a perfectly valid way to manage one's anger. I used to use games for the exact same thing.

Far better to let off steam in a harmless way than to suppress the anger and let it build up and build up until it explodes and you actually hurt someone.

Yes, there are arguably better ways to manage anger, but most of them require emotional maturity, and you can't just make emotional maturity happen. Until one reaches the stage where one can consciously keep one's anger in check, a way to harmlessly let off steam is needed. Some people play sport. Some people go boxing. Some people play computer games. There's no difference.
In response to Crispy
killing some noob whats hacking on CS lets my all my anger dissappear i love it, its either video games or a boxing bag..
In response to Crispy
There are two types of people who 'do it to let off steam'. There are those that just find playing games relaxing in the same way I find jogging relaxing but don't actually take anything out on the machine. So yeah, it seems like a good way to 'release' their frustrations and such but that's not actually what they're doing. They're just relaxing their minds which makes it easier to deal with frustration.
Then there are those who actually do use them as a stress release. These are the unhealthy ones. Actually releasing anger like that causes them to forget, overlook or maybe never even learn how to deal with it any other way.
Now you can argue that it's fine and perfectly healthy because noone and nothing gets hurt, but you've got to ask yourself what happens when they find themselves in a situation where they don't have an outlet like that.

It's not just a video game thing. I'm not trying to present it like one. You bring up boxing. I see guys down the gym all the time who do the same thing. Just by looking at them hit the bag you can tell they wouldn't have a hope in controlling that without their outlet.

The games themselves aren't the problem. You can release your anger in an unhealthy way on Mario Kart if you're bad enough. I've just been hearing people spout this 'violent games are great because they stop me from actually doing it!' argument for years and it gets on my nerves. People just don't realise if you're actually one of the few people who need that release it isn't good for you.
I ment virtual reality consoles and stuff, that's arcade so they make them for something specific. If people made a at home virtual reality console (which would kick ass) then game developers would make evil games, and there's one thing watching someone kill for "fun" and another is doing it...
In response to DarkView
Freudian'd. Thanathos'd.
Uhh, and the Wii and Nintendo arn't taking steps in that exact direction how? You act as if that's going to stop them, guess what it won't. VR has been around for years now, it just really expensive.
Yea, that's great. How about we stop people from doing evil things in real life before we focus on the virtual?
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:
Now you can argue that it's fine and perfectly healthy because noone and nothing gets hurt, but you've got to ask yourself what happens when they find themselves in a situation where they don't have an outlet like that.

Well obviously they release it in a problematic way. But at least they're only doing it in some situations rather than all situations. And I disagree that releasing anger in a problematic way is the only way to learn to control it, or even the best way.
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
What?! I completely disagree. Having a way to let off steam is a perfectly valid way to manage one's anger. I used to use games for the exact same thing.

Far better to let off steam in a harmless way than to suppress the anger and let it build up and build up until it explodes and you actually hurt someone.

Yes, there are arguably better ways to manage anger, but most of them require emotional maturity, and you can't just make emotional maturity happen. Until one reaches the stage where one can consciously keep one's anger in check, a way to harmlessly let off steam is needed. Some people play sport. Some people go boxing. Some people play computer games. There's no difference.

I don't think it has anything to do with maturity. Some people know you can't shot people on the street, other people are a touch crazy in the head.

Everyone does things their own way, that dosen't make them any more or less mature then the other person.

I start little fires in the alley behind my house when I get stressed.
In response to Shades
Shades wrote:
Everyone does things their own way, that dosen't make them any more or less mature then the other person.

I start little fires in the alley behind my house when I get stressed.

Most people wouldn't consider starting fires mature.

People make evil and voilent games because that's what sells. Majority of people find them fun, and that's just plain stupid. You want to know why I play GTA or any other shootem up game? It's to relive stress and prevent myself from getting to the point where I would really consider blowing someone's brains out. If you don't like the games, than don't buy them.

Think of it this way, you'd never consider blowing someones brains out, if you never saw it happen. If you never saw any violence at all, you wouldn't consider trying to kill them. You'd only see the bad parts of the violence, and jail.

Page: 1 2