ID:184893

Recently I heard on TV the Nintendo Wii is now rumored to be priced around $250.00 or actully below that.

With such a competetive price, the other 2 companies better watch out.
It's rumored to be as low as $200.
In response to Dick Gumshoe
If that's true, it's gonna definatly be bought by me. $200 is only like..£150 - 50 above what I normally wait for consoles to drop to before buying them.

And I'm gonna start calling the Wii "William". Wii - Wil - William ^_^ (Yes, I'm very strange)
Not only did Nintendo have a very competetive price selling them at half rate than the other consoles with the Gamecube, but it also sold much less.

It stands that people will get the system with the better games (or in some cases better hardware) whether they have to wait until the price goes down or not.
Why on earth would it sell for more. Have you people not noticed that on launch date EVERY SINGLE CONSOLE NINTENDO HAS REALSED TO DATE HAS BEEN 200.00.
Also that not a rumor that it will be under 250. http://www.gamespot.com/features/6146540/p-4.html
and I quote "Shortly after E3, Nintendo senior managing director, Yoshihiro Mori, disclosed pricing plans for the Wii. He revealed that the console would cost no more than 25,000 Yen ($223 at current exchange rates) in Japan, and that US pricing for the Wii would not exceed $250"
In response to CaptFalcon33035
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
It stands that people will get the system with the better games (or in some cases better hardware) whether they have to wait until the price goes down or not.

That gave me a good laugh.

The real reasoning behind it is that people get what they feel like getting, period. Some people have legitimate reasons for buying what they do, but many people have no logical reasoning behind it. Not price or game quality at least. Most people are not logical, and they often don't care and/or are unreasonably biased toward or against something.

If Nintendo sells less, it is not because they have inferior games and hardware. That I can say with confidence since I think many of Nintendo's games are great. I bought the new Metroid game for Nintendo DS and had tons of fun with it. It was worth every dollar.
In response to JMT
Its self explanitory why the Wii can go that low. If you want a hint, think about all the things it will be able to do.

Okay, if you didn't figure it out already, the Retro Gaming list on the Wii is supposed to be "not over $10". This means that anyone, ANYONE who likes playing older games, or wants to play an old game that they used to have that wont/doesnt want to rip it, will pay that money for the Retro Game. There are HUNDREDS of Retro Games that people like and love, and its not 1 person per Retro Game that will buy it, its more like Hundreds of thousands. For not paying a damn thing besides someone to transfer the games over, they are getting hundreds of thousands of dollars for every single Retro game. This means games that they wont even make again, or edit in any way what so ever, will rack them millions. This is a major reason why the Wii can be so cheap, the Retro Games will make up for it a hundred times over.
In response to Loduwijk
Well, I meant in opinion to them. They buy what appeals to them because they think it the better quality system or game. What else could I have meant? You can't exactly measure quality of something because you'll be measuring opinions, biased or not.
In response to Dark_Shadow_Ninja
Everytime I see "below $250," I think $249.99.
Nintendo often makes more money and sales combined with all their systems then either Sony or M$
In response to Shades
Yeah thats true.
In UK if you want to buy NDS Lite trade in your old ds and just pay an extra £60 pound for a new DS.L
You also get a game with it i think.
In response to Shades
Well, they had more systems available. GBA and Gamecube, and now the DS and Revolution soon.

Do you know how much it costs to manufacter a Gamecube? They aren't making more money, just more of a profit.
Actully I used to have the notes for all that book marked.

When Sony and M$ first release a system, they lose money on on their systems and as the prices go down, they only lose more money.

Nintendo actully makes money on their systems when they first come out and by the time they reach their final sales prices, they are actully only losing a small percent on sales.
In response to Shades
Aye, they lose money when they first release it. They start to gain a profit when they are being mass produced more and more. Also, games they publish are an excellent way to profit as well.
In response to Polantaris
That, and it isn't filled with all the crap that Microsoft and Sony put in there consoles. If I want a console, I want something to play games in - not something to be a "Media Center". I can understand why some people would want that. I don't.

The retro-gaming thing is going to be utterly, UTTERLY awesome, though. No more screwing around with roms for me - although there will probably be problems with pal/ntsc. I.e, there are still some games, like Lufia 1, that we'll never be able to get over in Australia, because there was never a pal version. I'll have to get roms of those - no other choice.

If nintendo does make pal versions of those games, though, or translations of others, like Bahamut Lagoon, I will love them for ever and ever and ever and ever.
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
Not only did Nintendo have a very competetive price selling them at half rate than the other consoles with the Gamecube, but it also sold much less.

Gamecube sold as much as the X-box so I don't know what your saying.
Sony and M$ never make money on their systems. As they cost more to produce then they sell them for and as the prices drop for their systems, they lose more and more money on the systems.

Nintendo makes money on their hardware when they first come out and by the time they reach their lowest sales prices they are losing a very small percent. Thats why Nintendo makes more. JP made a good point too. They don't lode their hardware down with useless crap. Instead they release the hardware and then offer accessories later for those who are intresneted.

The rom thing was a good point too. I hope Nintendo decided to bring some games over that the Amercias never got. Granted it would cost a ammount to translate or convert those games, but not nearly the same ammount it would cost to mass market, packge and sell those games in real life.
In response to Shades
The only reason they make gaming systems is for money. If they didn't make money at all, they would not produce the system. It's as simple as that. Companies need money to survive. Where'd they get all the money to make the PSP and the PS3 anyway?
At least recently, Sony and Microsoft have been selling their consoles for less then it costs to make them - in other words, they make a loss every time they sell a console. The idea is that they make money whenever someone buys a game - either through licencing fees or because they developed the game themselves. So they intend to sell enough games for each system to make a profit. It's as simple as that.

Nintendo makes money on their consoles, AFAIK. And games.
In response to Shades
Shades wrote:
Sony and M$ never make money on their systems. As they cost more to produce then they sell them for and as the prices drop for their systems, they lose more and more money on the systems.

Factual information to support this?

I'm pretty sure a company doesn't release gaming systems purely for the enjoyment of mankind. I'm also pretty sure Sony made a completely massive amount of money on PlayStation 1 as well as PlayStation 2. And I seriously doubt MS lost money on Xbox, but I can't be as sure of that as I am of the Playstation.

Nintendo makes money on their hardware when they first come out and by the time they reach their lowest sales prices they are losing a very small percent. Thats why Nintendo makes more.

Source? Nintendo's machines are priced lower *and* sell less (in general); Its not likely to think that the price difference in production is huge between nintendo gaming machines, sony gaming machines and microsoft gaming machines.

The rom thing was a good point too. I hope Nintendo decided to bring some games over that the Amercias never got. Granted it would cost a ammount to translate or convert those games, but not nearly the same ammount it would cost to mass market, packge and sell those games in real life.

PlayStation already does this;
Page: 1 2