ID:1850310

Hey. Since I live in EU I really have trubble knowing if my byond friends are online or not since I do not know were they come from.

I would like to suggested that people could set their country on byond page. Example:

You could try asking them for their time zones.
Well it is just a suggestion. I dont mind if you diagree. I belive it would help alot of people out or at least in my case :)
The account management page has a time zone selector already, so it should be feasible to set the visibility of that on the card.

It's just that my suggestion is to consider trying to socialize with your BYOND friends instead of looking up their information, but that's just one way of doing things.
The people I talk to on a daily basis.... I know their timezones by simply asking what time it is where they are. I have a buddy who is 12 hours or so ahead of my time. So, I know if I want to catch him I have to wake up early. Interact with your friends. Also, just a friendly advice, don't work on a project with a guy 12 hours ahead. It doesn't end well. There ends up being no communication. We were better off having small talks about programming and playing some games together every now and then.

I'm against this idea because it's like facebook. You'd be steering towards the whole "let me look on your profile rather than actually interact with you" attitude. Facebook is a stalking media. Socialization doesn't go on there. Ever. Most news feeds are just people sharing videos now. Because all they do is stalk each other. None of them are creative.
In response to Xirre
You my friend need some project management skills or software :)
+1
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:

Oh? I'm perfectly fine with that. It's the issue with him being foreign, us not being able to communicate 100%, him barely understanding English, and it being a fresh team of 5 where 2 want to constantly throw in new ideas without first finishing what's on their plate.

I use SVN currently. And, I assure you, things are getting done and released. :P
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
A.T.H.K wrote:

Oh? I'm perfectly fine with that. It's the issue with him being foreign, us not being able to communicate 100%, him barely understanding English,

This has nothing to do with time-zones. Plenty of people in other time-zones speak English, and plenty of people in other countries do as well. I happen to have a guy in the Netherlands who speaks 5 languages fluently. More often than not this comes in handy.

Back on topic, I have no issues with profiles displaying time-zones. I happen to have many, many, many contacts and I cannot memorize every-ones time-zone.

Also, Xirre. Wtf, you're against the idea because it's like facebook? You do realize time-zones are used and displayed all over the internet, right?

Someone shutdown facebook, it's like the hundreds of other social networking sites. Better get rid of instant messaging and skype, it's like texting and using a mobile phone.

Now if you'll excuse me I got some more facepalming to do.
In response to Lavitiz
Lavitiz wrote:
Xirre wrote:
A.T.H.K wrote:

Oh? I'm perfectly fine with that. It's the issue with him being foreign, us not being able to communicate 100%, him barely understanding English,

Plenty of people in other time-zones speak English

But not the guy I spoke of. More than likely, you talk to someone who is foreign, they will know some English, little English, or barely speaks it fluently. Your "one guy" doesn't make a difference. Not everyone is bilingual.

Yes, in other countries other than the U.S. bilingualism is more common. However, through many experiences with many foreign partners, there was a problem with simply understanding what was trying to be said. And waiting for a translator doesn't help. That slows down the development of ideas. Yes, it can work, but, that's only if you have the time and patience to do so. Not saying that I didn't either. It just wasn't worth it and the guy agreed with me fully as well.

My point that I was getting at, that both you and A.T.H.K failed to get at, was that if you are going to talk to someone on a partnership-level, make sure you come to an agreement that you are fine with how fast communications are going back-and-forth. If it offended you in anyway, I really don't care. Sucks. That's just the way it is. It's obvious and there's nothing you can say to prove that without being fluent in a common language that you can pass ideas faster than someone who shared a common language. What that common language is can be anything.

Back on topic, I have no issues with profiles displaying time-zones. I happen to have many, many, many contacts and I cannot memorize every-ones time-zone.

Yes, back on topic. I have no issues with displaying time-zones either. In fact, it really doesn't bother me. I'm completely indifferent about this post. But, if it were my site and I was looking forward to the best interest that even Tom was gearing towards, I'd have to say, hell no. Do not add it. Why? Because you're fighting against the owner's wishes at this point.

"A house divided amongst itself cannot stand" -Abraham Lincoln

That's completely right. Tom may or may not agree with this. However, I'm pretty sure he stated that he'd rather move away from anything that resembled a social media. Whether or not a time-zone falls under that category for him, I don't know. That's up to him. It's also up to him whether or not he adds this feature in. Yes, there's a feature for that already. But, that's for display the time in the forums.

If you really want to remember the timezones of every person, do yourself a favor. You're on a forum that's mainly for developers it seems. Develop something to save their data for you. Just like people save birthdates in their phone or whatever. Problem solved. Think that's problematic? Then you need some memory management skills or software. Because I can remember the general time zone of everyone I feel the need to ask. I know when to get up to reach someone at a certain time. If I can do it, and I'm a human, and you're not a complete dunce, then you can do it to.

Also, Xirre. Wtf, you're against the idea because it's like facebook? You do realize time-zones are used and displayed all over the internet, right?

Read the above post. Nothing more to say here. I already shed my feelings towards your obscene response.

Someone shutdown facebook, it's like the hundreds of other social networking sites. Better get rid of instant messaging and skype, it's like texting and using a mobile phone.

Nice sarcasm. However, Facebook has caused a lot of issues. Let me know what benefits it has brought to society. A social media? It's anything but. If anything, it's destroyed socialization. Before you respond, I want you to go in to a cafe, bar, or any lobby at a school where there are young men and women around 17 - 25. I guarantee you the majority of them will be on their phones rather than actually FRIGGIN' talking to each other. And, if you fall in this category, I pity you. I really do.

There's no need to get rid of Skype. Why? Because it gives a sense of direct interaction. You can't spy on what two other people are saying, just sitting in the back. You want to get in a conversation, you have to be invited. Yeah, there are status moods/updates. But, who really uses that? Nobody I truly know. Probably some of the people you know.

Texting isn't bad if done moderately. Once again, it involved direct conversation. And while it may not be an actual voiced conversation, it's still some form of interaction. Your sarcastic argument just became invalid because they are not labeled as the typical "social media".

I haven't read this. But, I trust that it will justify my words: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thomas-white/ why-social-media-isnt-social_b_3858576.html - Have a good read, bud.

Now if you'll excuse me I got some more facepalming to do.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be unfollowing this post, bby. If you truly want me to reply to whatever BS you have to add on to this, feel free to Skype me any time. No hard feelings with my post. I just don't like being ganged up on by multiple people for stating my opinion. If I have to get in to detail and become rude, I will. But, I apologize as well.
Well yea ofcourse you can ask a friend or 3 friends what their time-zones are. But im really sorry because I get kinda confusing remembering for example 15 peoples time-zones or more. It was just a suggestion and I really think it wouldnt harm anyone.

You cant just say no we dont need this just because you have diffrent methodes of remembering all of your friends timezones. Also that is why I pref adding a friend I want to speak with on skype where you can just see from what country he/she is from.

I belive its not only me that use skype or other programs to communicate just because byond chat is kinda slow and you cant really tell if a player is on or not. Thats just my opinion and sorry for my bad grammer. Also I never though that adding time zone display to your profil is such a big deal now.
I'm not even mad.
Communication, Project Management same thing in a sense.

I'm even mad.