ID:185328

My OS is Windows XP Home SP2, and for some reason I keep having to move my desktop icons back to their proper positions, yet a short while after each time I do this the icons just magically revert to a different position. Any ideas?
So nothing particular seems to trigger it? Is there any pattern to the positions they revert to? Are they actually reverting to a previous position, or just jumping to a random location?

I've had icons revert back to their original positions when the Windows shell, explorer.exe (or all of Windows) crashes - but that just happens when I haven't cleanly rebooted after reorganising the desktop.
In response to Crispy
I rebooted several times, same problem. They revert to an older position.
In response to Artemio
So they revert when you reboot, or just suddenly at random times?

Google picks up a bunch of desktop icon position saving/restoring programs which you might be able to use as a workaround. Also check Microsoft's tech support Knowledge Base, I've found it useful in the past. I'm afraid don't have time to check myself 'cos I've gotta run now. =)
In response to Crispy
I know that Battlefield 1942 did that o me, it resized the desktop for play. o.o I have always had to remove to icons to their original spots after play.
Figured out the problem. Trillian had a setting that moved the desktop over when I brought up the contact list and I disabled that.