In response to EmpirezTeam
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
Lugia what are you making?

I'm making a simulator for historical battles in Python. Purely research, of course.

But clearly, that was just an attempt to pull attention away from yourself. Let's stay on topic here. Severed World is a desperate attempt to make a ROTMG ripoff and sell it. But instead of paying through item mall, you pay upfront and you'll probably try to do the Blizzard thing and sell "expansion packs". The fact that you're not even halfway on Kickstarter shows that people have seen these antics.

I mean, people play MMO clones all the time, and I don't doubt that this game will be any different. But hey, as long as you can make a quick buck amirite?
In response to Lugia319
None of us have never even played ROTMG. But, yeah. Money $$$
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Ganite wrote:
Lugia what are you making?

I'm making a simulator for historical battles in Python. Purely research, of course.

But clearly, that was just an attempt to pull attention away from yourself. Let's stay on topic here. Severed World is a desperate attempt to make a ROTMG ripoff and sell it. But instead of paying through item mall, you pay upfront and you'll probably try to do the Blizzard thing and sell "expansion packs". The fact that you're not even halfway on Kickstarter shows that people have seen these antics.

I mean, people play MMO clones all the time, and I don't doubt that this game will be any different. But hey, as long as you can make a quick buck amirite?

Hey not to derail but let me know how that simulator is working for you. I have been working on a genocide simulator and I feel like you might have something going for you I might want to integrate.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:

At first, I thought you were seriously trying to be negative, but now I'm pretty sure you're just being sarcastic or trolling. $20k and 6+ months of work on a product that isn't even finished yet is not a quick buck. A Zeta rip with a donation button is a quick buck.
In response to Lugia319
I think it's safe to take their word on not being inspired by ROTHMG. Since they already stated where they got their inspiration from here. http://www.byond.com/ forum/?post=1859627&page=8#comment15449990
In response to Kats
Going through the trouble of getting original assets doesn't make it any less of a quick buck. You could spend as much time as you want programming a completely new copy of Zeta and it's still a cheap rip for a quick buck.

I see a Casual Quest issue here. Might be popular for a month or two, and then it just drops off the map. 20k+? Not even sure it'll make its money back with those numbers. Especially with the aforementioned REFUND OPTION.
In response to Lugia319
Well thank you so much, great overlord for your infinite wisdom of game development. I will be sure that Chance commits ritual sepuku for his insolence in not consulting His Majesty before embarking on such an ambitious project. That should show people for making better games than you!
Lugia the Debbie downer. I can't imagine what kind of satisfaction you get from jumping on the developer of this game's sack.
Well thank you so much, great overlord for your infinite wisdom of game development. I will be sure that Chance commits ritual sepuku for his insolence in not consulting His Majesty before embarking on such an ambitious project. That should show people for making better games than you!

Again, this game isn't that good. Did we watch the same trailer? It's providing NOTHING new to the genre. Absolutely nothing. Is it ambitious when you make a safe game? It's not even sarcastic, ironic, cheesy, etc., it doesn't have interesting mechanics. Schrodinger's Cat? That's ambitious. This is just... copy/paste RPG. We'll have to see how the writing for the quests goes but I swear to god if I see collect X ballsacks from Y monsters I'm going to punch Chance through the computer.

If you wanted Legend of Zelda/Secret of Mana, you could... ya know... play those games for free. Most people that love those games actually have those games and could play them instead of dropping $10 on something that has only shown hype. Not to mention all of those games have great replay value.

And again, you're trying to turn this discussion away from its original topic. The topic being that of Severed World, its Kickstarter and Greenlight, and development. Do note that even in my responses, I always address the game at hand. You're trying to make this a personal argument, when clearly, you have nothing to counter my claims. That makes you the loser.

Lugia the Debbie downer. I can't imagine what kind of satisfaction you get from jumping on the developer of this game's sack.

My satisfaction comes from all of the disruption I can create.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Again, this game isn't that good. Did we watch the same trailer? It's providing NOTHING new to the genre. Absolutely nothing. Is it ambitious when you make a safe game? It's not even sarcastic, ironic, cheesy, etc., it doesn't have interesting mechanics. Schrodinger's Cat? That's ambitious. This is just... copy/paste RPG.

I didn't know you had early access to the gameplay. How was it? Were the controls responsive? How was the questing? Oh, was the PvE experience fulfilling? Wait... Oh, that's right. You HAVEN'T played the game, that's right. I had assumed from all of the absolutely egregious pandering you were doing as a "critic", I might have thought you actually had. But since you haven't, it's pretty safe to say that you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.
In response to Kats
The gameplay trailer showed me everything I needed to see. Rather poorly made one too.
In response to Kats
There's really no need to argue in defense of our game, or continue humoring Lugia319 any further. Best to just wait until we have more to show everyone.
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:
There's really no need to argue in defense of our game, or continue humoring Lugia319 any further. Best to just wait until we have more to show everyone.

I anticipate the NEStalgia response. Good for a quick buck, not much more.
In response to EmpirezTeam
He also worried that developers of DRM-free games—that is, games that don’t actually require Steam to run—might consider turning to DRM due to the ease with which someone can now make a copy of their game and then get a refund on Steam.

What a silly thing to say. It's much easier to simply pirate a game than to jump through a bunch of hoops to download it then refund it. You won't have your credit card on record either.

I think Steam allowing refunds on games is incredibly pro-consumer and my hope it that it stamps out a lot of the low effort/early access junk clogging up the store front.
I think Steam allowing refunds on games is incredibly pro-consumer and my hope it that it stamps out a lot of the low effort/early access junk clogging up the store front.

I really think early-access games should be exempt from the refund business. If you buy early access, it really should be buyer beware. Early access is supposed to be supporting development, not purchasing a product.
In response to Ter13
In spirit that's probably what Early Access was meant to be, but as it exists now it's mostly just a way to sell unfinished products with little accountability for whatever outrageous promises a developer makes. Say you have two devs trying to attract funding; one has meticulously planned out a budget and a development road map while the other promises everything and the kitchen sink to be completed within a few months. For the average person wanting to fund a game, which of the two are they probably going to donate towards? Is donating towards the eventual trainwreck helping indie developers or is it scaring away new potential benefactors?
I will blame Ter.

He really should have finished that doomsday device, would have stopped all of the arguing.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:

The biggest problem is the implementation. It's really the exact same scenario as when Steam introduced their calamitous Paid MODs policy in April. That rollout was completely botched, and the policy itself was half-baked and full of opportunities for abuse. The difference here is that it's the game developers who are getting screwed over rather than the consumers, hence the lack of rioting in the streets.

There has been a ton of discussion on the Steam Dev boards about all of the ways in which this policy can be (and has been) abused in its current form. I've been shocked by how unprepared Valve has been to answer even simple questions/complaints about the system. Just like with the Paid MODs system, it's almost as if the people who came up with the new refund system never sat down and had a serious discussion about what might go wrong.

Note that I'm not complaining because I've been personally impacted, because I haven't yet. NEStalgia's refund rate since June 1st has been about 0.1% (which is a stat that only became available to Steam devs a few days ago). I just feel really bad for all of the developers who have short games or who are easy targets for abuse under the new system. The people at Valve have always been great to work with, but it's super disappointing to see how all of this has played out so far.

Ter13 wrote:
I really think early-access games should be exempt from the refund business. If you buy early access, it really should be buyer beware. Early access is supposed to be supporting development, not purchasing a product.

My opinions on the virtues of the early-access system itself are inline with SuperAntx, but I totally agree with you that refunds don't make any sense at all for those games.

Doohl wrote:

Great response. You can't argue reason with someone who is irrational, especially when you're dealing with a person who can't stand to see other people succeed. The more successful you become, the louder these types of individuals get about what a failure you are.

From what I've seen so far I think that you guys are going to do awesome both on and off Steam. Just getting on Steam in and of itself doesn't guarantee success, but having a great product and then receiving the type of exposure that Steam provides pretty much does.
In response to SilkWizard
Is it irrational to call the game out on all of their flaws ($20 asking price on a low grade ROTMG ripoff), reminding them that steam greenlight isn't worth anything (Let me just remind you that many asset flops and rips are also on steam greenlight/early access) or their kickstarter fail (70%, so close).

The fact that 0.1% people are refunding within DAYS of the refund policy coming out should be a cry for help. Sure, it's 0.1% NOW but how long before it's 1%? 4%? 10%? Especially with NEStalgia being a crappy Dragon Warrior ripoff. Just play the real one for free.

And the fact that you're using DM for this game instead of a sensible language is just outrageous. Relying on buggy BYOND webclient instead of reliable sources... that's just asking for disaster.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5