In response to Maximus_Alex2003
This argument is circular so I cease to want to continue it despite you writing such a well thought out response.

Players need games. Games need designers. Designers need a platform.
The platform needs designers, who need players.

You take out any piece there and it all falls apart. I think you can agree.

Platform needs funding.. The more you press the wallets of your designers.. The less designers you have and less players you have because of the less games.

From a simply mathematical point of view at $24 USD a year.. That's where I'd start thinking of something else to use. 10USD I'd be fine with but not $24. 24 is get out of here...
In response to Superbike32
Superbike32 wrote:
I already named three of them in a previous post?

OneDrive
Box
DropBox

None of those work with BYOND, I tried.
In response to Mickemoose
Mickemoose wrote:
http://www.Dropbox.com works fine with BYOND.

It doesn't for me.
They work fine, you must've been doing something wrong when using them with BYOND, such as not using the direct link, the service does give you links that aren't direct depending on how you go about getting a link.

If you need step by step instructions or even a video guide, including proof those services work, I'll do that for you.
In response to Superbike32
Drop Box links do not properly install, like I mentioned previously. Your players/downloaders will need to use the .zip link instead of the Download/Play button.
The BYOND software currently doesn't supports https, which is probably the reason that the dropbox links don't work for direct download. Https support is in the plans (via libcurl, which should also speed up downloads in general)-- it would also be logical to provide this for byondhome member files. Although personally I think that all of the 'download' links on the site and in the pager should just use the browser (instead of the byond protocol to call the hub) and do a direct download, since that is more functional and probably what users expect anyway.

As far as the Memberships go, yeah, it's mostly to support the system. We've made almost everything free so there may not be a lot of perceived value, but every dollar helps keep things running.
I was able to use OneDrive successfully, the other services I'm having trouble getting a direct link on, on OneDrive the process is as below.

1.Click to share your file using a URL.
2.Go to that URL using "InPrivate" browsing, or simply sign out of OneDrive.
3.Right click the download button and click "Copy Shortcut"

Use that as your URL, if it's too long you can use Bitly to shorten your link and it will still work.

EDIT: OneDrive spits out a https url for the download link, although it doesn't look like a direct link, it still works though.

It must not be actually using https or else by what Tom said it would never download it properly in the pager.

But with OneDrive it's downloading properly in the pager as you'd expect.
.....no body mentioned the obvious...
just buy a lesser membership option that you can afford?
LoL.
In response to Avidanimefan
Avidanimefan wrote:
.....no body mentioned the obvious...
just buy a lesser membership option that you can afford?
LoL.

Pst, theres not really any incentive to buy a membership except to help a dying framework.
In response to A.T.H.K
I already know that. Still 2 dollars a month isn't worth throwing a B.F. over.
On any level.
In response to Avidanimefan
Avidanimefan wrote:
I already know that. Still 2 dollars a month isn't worth throwing a B.F. over.
On any level.

So who is going to step up and buy this man a membership then? I want to see how many of you people actually care about BYOND, instead of just whinging do something.
If he's too broke to afford an additional 2$ a month his time would be better spent looking for a part-time job using the time he uses on BYOND.
Dreadnaught Productions wrote:
If he's too broke to afford an additional 2$ a month his time would be better spent looking for a part-time job using the time he uses on BYOND.

That and half the people here who think BYOND games will make them large amount of money that they can live on forever.
Lmfaooooo, the cost of living is too high to wager on a BYOND creation. Might get lucky for a few hundred bucks coming from mid-teens who blow their parents money but it won't last long.
In response to A.T.H.K
I would actually buy him a membership- if it weren't for the way he basically stated/demanded that it 1.) wasn't worth it and 2.) should be decreased.

Decreased from what? 2$ a month?

I think it's obvious at this point that people who consistently donate to BYOND do so because we like it. I was fully aware that I wasn't going to get too many extra perks attached to my membership- I did it to support the software that I use for free. Byond often gets a really bad rap, I do tons of amazing things with BYOND on a daily basis- often it's just people themselves who lack skill and then turn around and blame it on the software.

If 24 $ is too much right now, he could easily just get something that is more affordable by choosing another option. Like a 3 or 6 month, that effectively cuts the price he'd have to pay in either 1/2 or 1/4th, and in that instance he'd still have the same benefits which further makes the B.F. thrown in said OP even more irrelevant. He's already stated that he doesn't care what anyone says, he's just going to be upset regardless-so why would I buy someone like that a membership?

is byond really getting "thousands" in donations?

the month is almost over and we're just at like $1800 ish.

i mean once you subtract Tom's ramen and other living expenses, thats not a lot
Dreadnaught Productions wrote:
Lmfaooooo, the cost of living is too high to wager on a BYOND creation. Might get lucky for a few hundred bucks coming from mid-teens who blow their parents money but it won't last long.

Making a living off BYOND is perfectly feasible. We just don't have anyone trying to make a living off of it, or the people who have tried attempted to make a game without acknowledging BYOND's limitations and eventually failed because of it.
In other words, $2 a month is too much for a college student.
Page: 1 2 3 4