In response to Ishuri
Ishuri wrote:
In other words, $2 a month is too much for a college student.

If they think BYOND memberships are too expensive, wait until they see the rent prices! They're probably going to faint right on the spot.
I'm a college student and a vocational tech student

and i own a home pay lot rent cause i have yet to find land

for me home pay for me internet,phone & cable TV AND i can

still buy membership if i wanted so don't put down the

college student name Zecronious :3 it's called getting a

job like me that pays $1000 BI-Weekly.
In response to DistantWorld101
Brag much? we know who to rob now. *gun cock*
j/k.
But if I was a felon not so much :o
In response to Avidanimefan
lol the funny thing is i'm not even going into medical/nursing

when it comes to line of work, it just was a job that was open and paid good, also it gives me a low class nursing licenses so i took it.

If you wanna try to rob me all means try it xD but i have faith in you L3 not to but if you try it i shall put you in the mental hospital, where men and women will change you and bath you and make you there BISH.
In response to DistantWorld101
DistantWorld101 wrote:
lol the funny thing is i'm not even going into medical/nursing

when it comes to line of work, it just was a job that was open and paid good, also it gives me a low class nursing licenses so i took it.

If you wanna try to rob me all means try it xD but i have faith in you L3 not to but if you try it i shall but you in the mental hospital, where men and women will change you and bath you and make you there BISH.

Please tell me you aren't attending college in the U.S.
In response to Ishuri
i attend in U.S.A Michigan, where anyone can get it free if you

can't get college free you are not trying hard enough and

if you are talking about all my spelling errors i noticed

them and fixed them right away using a cellphone to type so

i get many because this stupid on screen keyboard so small and i got big fingers.
why didnt you tell me you were in michigan, i would've come to your dorm for a couple beers when i went to detroit a few months ago
In response to EmpirezTeam
because i don't have enough room for your tank

and we don't have a swap or marshland around us for you to frolic around in.
dude im a frog, we adapt to any environment

Fine then :3 i'll get the bunk beds ready for next time.

You can bring all your friends we can throw a big party :P
All of us come from many different cultures and none of us share the same amount of wealth. Everyone needs to just quit bitching. It's the OP's opinion that it's not worth the value and he clearly stated that he couldn't afford it. There is nothing wrong with that.

Also, with all due respect to Tom, Lummox, and the other developers here-

It's 2015 and BYOND is lacking what other 2D/3D Engines offer. Not to mention with many of them you get everything for FREE. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Unity 5 is not just a 2D Engine, but also a 3D Engine that offers more for absolutely nothing. Up until you start making big profit of course. Which by that point wealth isn't too big of an issue to buy a license.

That said, I don't think not having a membership really impacts a developer from doing what they need to do by any means. I think supporting BYOND is a nice thing to do, and I think BYOND is a great stepping stone for new developers.
In response to Lavitiz
So....you're buying him the membership then? lol
In response to Avidanimefan
Avidanimefan wrote:
So....you're buying him the membership then? lol

I just might. I get paid on the first. Someone bump this then. Just to prove a point.

There was a time I couldn't afford memberships either. I've also been helped out on numerous occasions where people have gifted me them.
In response to Lavitiz
If You Get Him A Membership On The First I Will

Not Only Put A Membership On Few Accounts

I Will Also Donate Into The Donation Fund When I Get Paid

On The Third ;3
In response to Lavitiz
There was a time I couldn't afford memberships either. And no one bought me one. I also didn't flip out about it. I just waited til I had the money.
*shrug*
I don't think his approach was all that proactive, that's why he got the response he got.

I actually do have the money, and I WAS actually going to buy him a membership, but the more I looked at the stuff he was saying, his anger seemed pointless and unfounded, as are the arguments about the membership not even being worth it.

Because I feel the complete opposite. I totally feel and believe it's worth it. There's a great amount you can accomplish with BYOND. But Tom and Lummox can't really help it if people lack vision, are small minded or just refuse to do anything with the gift they are given.

Personally I want to use it for as much as I can, and hopefully turn others onto the benefits of a great system.

I hear people say that it's outdated *not fully true, BYOND was created purely for text at first, considering that it's probably one of the best text based game makers out there*

On top of that, it's always had ONLINE multiplayer *so doesn't that mean the rest of the world is really what was lagging behind until a few years ago? Essentially BYNOD was ahead of the game for nearly 15-20 years!*

Like many things it's a matter of perspective, you seem to have adopted the perspective that BYOND can't compete with other game engines, you're sadly mistaken. There's no "perfect engine" they all have their perks and pitfalls. So I'm curious why people always use this as ammo to rant when Unity has a laundry list of things that are difficult to grasp or use along with it as well *even more so than BYOND does.*

It might take more work, but when you compare BYOND to other 2-d game creation engines *byond shouldn't even be compared to 3-d engines on any level- that's like comparing a NES to a playstation* not only does it compete but it does alot of things right/better.

Unity JUST started providing support for 2-d games. Like. with the last update (U-5). It was immensely more difficult to make a 2-d game in past unity platforms. On top of that I've used Unity and am versed in quite a few other languages as well.

I left unity to dabble in BYOND and I find it quite enjoyable.
As long as I can host my game files that's all I need. Don't waste your money but the thought is nice.
In response to Zecronious
Zecronious wrote:
As long as I can host my game files that's all I need. Don't waste your money but the thought is nice.

It's not a waste when it's also supporting something good. One thing BYOND does really well is allowing developers to quickly get an online prototype going.

It is after all one of the main things that keeps me around.
To whoever it was that said if we really support BYOND, but this guy a membership...

I might actually do it if he didn't come off so aggressively. $2/mo isn't exactly expensive, considering other places that give you a lot less for a lot more.
In response to Magicmann
Magicmann wrote:
I might actually do it if he didn't come off so aggressively. $2/mo isn't exactly expensive, considering other places that give you a lot less for a lot more.

Out of curiosity, what does BYOND give us?
In response to Magicmann
No you wouldn't, most of you except lavitz and myself would.. Ive sunk plenty of BYONDPanels minimal profits into BYOND and that was mainly the whole point of the project. I don't make money off it and I've put time and effort into it.

Honestly BYONDPanel has been more successful than any game here.
Page: 1 2 3 4