Yeah, about threads like that. Generally I post those in Off Topic, so that way people will see the post, but then see what section its in and say "Oh, I'm in Off Topic. That explains why this has nothing to do with game development."

Also, I doubt people come to the website, immediately head to the forums, and then judge our entire community and software based on an off topic thread made in off topic, but in the event that they do, I think it's a good indicator they'll fit in just fine with the community here.

And even with that being a joke Shia LeBeouf thread, there's actually a lot of relevance in what he was saying in the video and our community. We're notorious for starting projects and then giving up on them a week later, so it's somewhat beneficial for everyone here to be reminded to JUST DO IT.
In response to EmpirezTeam
I admit I didn't watch the video, as ever since Indiana Jones 4 I make it a point not to watch things with Shia LaBeouf.
Indiana Jones 4

They never made a fourth Indiana Jones movie.
Next he'll be saying he owns a copy of Half Life 3.

And then I'll have to camp in a bush outside his house waiting for the perfect opportunity to steal it.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Indiana Jones 4

They never made a fourth Indiana Jones movie.

Oh, right. My mistake. :)

Lots of great franchises died before their prime. Too bad they only made two Alien films.
In response to Ter13
Hey, quick update on 508: Tom did get the BSD thing all setup for me, and we have 507.1286 in BSD now. So now the only thing holding me up is the maptext_x/y stuff which I'm working on, and getting that plus MouseWheel integrated into the webclient.

So for everyone dying to get started on 508, you should blame Ter13.
Well, we need to update the ED page now.
GreatPirateEra wrote:
Anything you need to say, mister?

I will be posting bug reports and feature requests until the donation meter hits $2,000. If you want your updates, you'd better empty those pockets.

In response to Rocknet
Rocknet wrote:
Well, we need to update the ED page now.

lol the Encyclopedia Dramatica page is indeed in need of an update... seems like forever since i read it...
Lummox JR, any plans to create a plugin system and API for the IDE? A plugin system would put customizations and extensions into the hands of the community which would allow them to add additional features to the IDE, like intellisense.
Lummox JR, any plans to create a plugin system and API for the IDE? A plugin system would put customizations and extensions into the hands of the community which would allow them to add additional features to the IDE, like intellisense.

Albeit this sounds like it's not going to happen, seconded.
In response to Squizzle
Squizzle wrote:

Plugins no, API yes. I really want to make map editing easier to work with via outside tools, or even make it feasible to do map editing in something like a .dmb file. That's a future goal, anyway.
With all this new stuff coming into play and how many options the webclient opens up I'm starting to get curious about how feasible it would be for a developer to design the Dream Maker IDE into the webclient. Kind of like making a game, except recreating the IDE.

I'm thinking the programming part wouldn't be too tough. An icon editor would probably need to be done from scratch, and be pretty rough. Map designing might be extremely difficult if not impossible, but if an API comes out for that... Maybe.

I definitely think being able to essentially use Dream Maker on mobile phones could help BYOND appeal to more developers, but it could cause too little impact or be too much work to be provided by BYOND's developers.
In response to Toddab503
Toddab503 wrote:
With all this new stuff coming into play and how many options the webclient opens up I'm starting to get curious about how feasible it would be for a developer to design the Dream Maker IDE into the webclient. Kind of like making a game, except recreating the IDE.

I'm thinking the programming part wouldn't be too tough. An icon editor would probably need to be done from scratch, and be pretty rough. Map designing might be extremely difficult if not impossible, but if an API comes out for that... Maybe.

I definitely think being able to essentially use Dream Maker on mobile phones could help BYOND appeal to more developers, but it could cause too little impact or be too much work to be provided by BYOND's developers.

I've been planning to do that using Make My Dream's engine which has a built-in code editor and even a code auto-complete feature.

Would be sick to be able to program on mobile phones.
In response to Toddab503
BYOND completely on the web. Interesting idea.
In response to Aaiko
Aaiko wrote:

What about BYOND on web, phone, and desktop? Play anything anywhere, pretty much literally?
In response to SarahBirkie
SarahBirkie wrote:
Aaiko wrote:

What about BYOND on web, phone, and desktop? Play anything anywhere, pretty much literally?

That's already how it's becoming, actually. I mean it won't apply to every game since the games developer has to do some work, but we've already had desktop, now we have web appearing, and it seems developers here are breaking into mobile as well.

That's what has me so curious about this idea. Although now that I think about it I bet it would be pretty challenging to do art or even mapping on such a small device. Still could be useful if mobile compatibility also gets things into ipads, and so on though. Worst case scenario, programming could be done on mobile and the rest at home on computer. It's a good step either way, I think.

Kidpaddle45 wrote:
I've been planning to do that using Make My Dream's engine which has a built-in code editor and even a code auto-complete feature.

Hmm. I haven't heard of that, but if it gets the programming working that could be great. I'll be looking out for any posts you make about that. It could be a simpler way, I suppose.
In response to Toddab503
Toddab503 wrote:
SarahBirkie wrote:
Aaiko wrote:

That's already how it's becoming, actually. I mean it won't apply to every game since the games developer has to do some work, but we've already had desktop, now we have web appearing, and it seems developers here are breaking into mobile as well.

That's what has me so curious about this idea. Although now that I think about it I bet it would be pretty challenging to do art or even mapping on such a small device. Still could be useful if mobile compatibility also gets things into ipads, and so on though. Worst case scenario, programming could be done on mobile and the rest at home on computer. It's a good step either way, I think.

Kidpaddle45 wrote:

Hmm. I haven't heard of that, but if it gets the programming working that could be great. I'll be looking out for any posts you make about that. It could be a simpler way, I suppose.

Thats Make My Dream:
http://www.byond.com/developer/Kidpaddle45/MakeMyDream

I'll try today to see if it can be setup for the webclient.
0_0 Goodness. Congrats Lummox. Gonna miss you around here Tom. You've been the calm on the water in many ways. Hope things go well.
I've been away for a few weeks dealing with life and work and come back to find some pretty amazing updates. From exception handling to 'BYOND Software'. It's all very fantastic and exciting.

Tom, you've been great. The patience and maturity you've shown within the forums and community has always impressed me. Sticking with anything for so many years and impacting so many lives is a real accomplishment in the grand scheme of things. I'm certain you'll do even more great things and make no mistake, BYOND is a truly wonderful and great thing. Thank you for sticking with it and thank you for being so open with us over the years. BYOND has been a very big part of my life and even though I can't seem to ever finish anything (worth finishing), it's been a very positive and joyful experience for me.

Lummox, you've been doing great things for a while now and that's all you really need to keep doing. One foot in front of the other and don't lock yourself into any one vision. Just let things flow and occasional steer yourself (and us) towards whatever direction seems most exciting. Unsolicited advice aside, I look forward to witnessing and supporting your successes in the foreseeable future.

May the community and ever changing tides of technology be in your favor.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9