Good luck Lummox!
Good luck Tom and Lummox! Hope to see great things to come out of BYOND.
Tom since your talking about greed does that mean BYOND will never be sold for money?
In response to Sir Quizalot
Sir Quizalot wrote:
Tom since your talking about greed does that mean BYOND will never be sold for money?

I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy BYOND for enough money that I'd be interested in selling. But as the wise man said, those are good problems. If Google came knocking with a check for a cool million, the upside is they'd probably want to expand the engine's reach a lot.

For my part I have the same intentions Tom always did: Keep the software free.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
If Google came knocking with a check for a cool million, the upside is they'd probably want to expand the engine's reach a lot.

S E L L O U T
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
If Google came knocking with a check for a cool million, the upside is they'd probably want to expand the engine's reach a lot.

S E L L O U T

I wouldn't blame them :P
Tom and Lummox,

I know I should be addressing much more than just you two, but I'd like to thank you both and the rest of the community for creating BYOND and putting so much work into it. BYOND is what got me into programming and has led me to a successful career in programming as a full-time job. I couldn't be happier that my pre-teen self (God, has it been that long?) found this website and began to not only play the games, but dive into creating them too.

I'll be donating in the near future when I finally begin working full-time in August. I just graduated from university and it's hard to believe I was so lucky to find this place when I was young. While it may not have been the most profitable, I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been affected this way from BYOND. :)

Thanks again for all your hard work. I wish you the best of luck on your future endeavors.
Taylor
I think the only significant difference is I'm a little more amenable to feature creep, although time has tempered that a lot with the understanding that new features can breed new bugs. I've been a lot more unilateral in my approach lately, in that I introduced two new features to 508 (three if you count the icon editor drawing icons). There's an extent to which it saves time not to have to hash out ideas together, too. The introduction of animation, color, alpha, transform, etc. all came from a similar impulse.

I would also say my approach to the site is to make smaller changes at a time, though I hope I really don't have much to work on with it for a while. The landing page is something I'm looking at updating, though, and obviously the webclient frame needs some love.

Once we're past this transitional period (very shortly) I expect I to focus mostly on software for the near term.
So honestly did you purchase BYOND from Tom or was it actually handed it over to you? I ask because I just had a debate about it with someone.
Tom gave me the software, data, etc. The business itself is technically a new entity.
No reason to get rid of the forums. Maybe sections like Off-Topic and be a little more strict when it comes to commenting on things like the Art section.

Add what Tom failed to add power to let people control whats deleted on their post..
I have no plans to get rid of the forums, although that's pretty much all we have for social features anymore (except fanning games, etc.). Site-wise I do want to change the landing page, but I don't want to make any sweeping changes to it--at least that's not on my horizon. Site changes take time away from the software.

Regarding development tools, I intend to do some work on Dream Maker as part of 508's improvements. The only thing in there so far is the drawing icons in the icon editor, but I do want to implement Falacy's old suggestion of having multiple-frame flip, turn, etc. Silkwizard requested 200% zoom for the map a while back, and while I'm not making any promises I want to look at that. Also on the short list for me is a setting to switch the nudge options between pixel and step offsets. (And maybe, a quick tool for changing step offsets to pixel offsets, to fix maps that were altered mistakenly.)
Lummox, since you are not a businessman, are you looking to outsource the marketing efforts?
In response to Master rla
BYOND's marketing has always been pretty thin on the ground. What I actually want to see happen is for more games to use the webclient and make themselves known offsite, which should hopefully draw more people in.
Plz don't drop DS for us who still prefer it.
In response to Ganite
No worries; DS is still supported.

I do however hope more games use the webclient in the future, because 1) it's actually way more capable of handling stuff like transparency and advanced visual features for controls, 2) it works offsite without anyone needing to download software, and can reach more people on more platforms, and 3) advertisers aren't as afraid of games on a website as on standalone software.
Any news on getting a simpler to use single player webclient?
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Site-wise I do want to change the landing page, but I don't want to make any sweeping changes to it--at least that's not on my horizon. Site changes take time away from the software.

I'd love to see a site revamp. Something clean, aesthetically-pleasing, and responsive. The last in particular is pretty big; mobile viewing has increased significantly in recent years, and it just feels weird to visit a site that isn't responsive. I know that we discussed it quite a bit on IRC. I'd be curious to know what the analytics for the site indicate.

I was going to reach out to Tom to see about possibly making some recommendations/possible comps, but I guess that that is moot now!

Ter13 wrote:
Android accounts for between 71% and 80% of the global smartphone marketshare, and about 51% of the tablet market share.

Poor Windows Phone. Also, this is consistent with the data that we've collected at work.
In response to Flick
None at this time. My past effort to integrate CEF didn't work out very well, though I'm hoping with an app built from scratch maybe things will be easier. (CEF has some issues with single-process mode, but a standalone webclient deal might be able to handle a multi-process setup much better.)
Hey Lummox, with you taking charge of things what are the chances of something like post-processing effects being added? While I'm of the opinion that BYOND is perfectly capable of running most 2D games, I think it falls behind other engines in this particular aspect. If BYOND had screen filters then there would be absolutely no reason to use something like RPG Maker as BYOND would be able to do anything it could do and more.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9