I can't wait for it too come!
In response to Pixel Realms
Pixel Realms wrote:
In the future, Syxoul, but it won't be benefits so much as a tribute to the engine. Perhaps we can have BYOND members spawn with a 'Dream Maker' gear set :)

I would love to see this as a visual appearance only. I would cruise around everywhere with the atom.
Looks very cool; best of luck.

I am curious though about the statement "$20'000 of our own money has been used to pay the way for the project thus far"
{Where, To whom} did all of that money go?
In response to Gakumerasara
Art, music, and programming maybe? I think WANO is just like the manager the man behind the scenes type of guy.
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
Art, music, and programming maybe? I think WANO is just like the manager the man behind the scenes type of guy.

In theory, sure, but let's be honest; most of the things you mentioned cost practically nothing within BYOND's community. That's why I'm very curious where $20,000 disappeared to. Is this someone's full-time job? Is someone actually getting paid? Or is $20,000 simply representative of time invested?
Html5 does that mean in future years to come most of the games on byond will be moving to html5 for more experience?
Chance took a loan of $20,000 to fund the rapid development of quality art and programming. The $20,000 hasn't disappeared - enough is left for us to continue development even if the Kickstarter fails, albeit at a much slower rate.

Yes, people are actually being paid. No, this isn't someone's full-time job. You're wrong to assume just because these things are 'cheap' on BYOND that they're cheap everywhere else.
They "cost practically nothing within BYOND's community" because Byond isn't exactly a professional developer's community. It's easy to blow 20,000 on art assets alone when you're working with professionals.
I don't know where he got the idea that the artist working on SW came from BYOND lol.
I never said these things were cheap everywhere. I'm simply saying that for a BYOND project, $20,000 is an unprecedented amount. Surely I'm not the only person who raised an eyebrow at the statement. It's nice to see a quality project though. Best of luck.
Quality isn't cheap
Because its a BYOND project doesn't mean anything if you're serious about it..
How would a BYOND project be any less than $20,000 for a successful MMORPG that's going cross-platform? I see the average VPS costs roughly $250 per year. If you're going by just having 1 server for 5 years that's about $1,250. And that's for a cheap VPS. A graphic artist would easily cost between $2,000 to $5,000 and more for a large game. A programmer would be almost double that. Plus you have to consider these developers need a place to live, eat, electric bill, internet access, and so on.

Take a look at the various many Android/iPhone/Steam games. Half of them arent even MMO and the other half are RPGMaker games converted into garbage with no content.

I don't understand when people think BYOND is a small petty platform. It's not the engine that's limiting people. It's their ability to develop that's limiting their game.

Eternia: Roleplay has shown great progress as a game on BYOND, same with NEStalgia. Clearly you're not going to get as good quality and performance as something like Elder Scrolls : Skyrim or World Of Warcraft. But that's not a bad thing either since BYOND games can be played on low-end computers and devices. With the webclient it gets even better since it can be taken cross-platform which means PC players can play along with Android/iPhone players. That's something that isn't done very frequently in the gaming world. Microsoft XboxOne and Windows 10 will implement that. But then you're talking about buying an XboxOne $350 USD and making sure you have a Windows 10 compatible computer (since Windows 10 is free for Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 and free for a year for Windows XP, Vista users). There's still many gamers who enjoy the simplistic 2D RPG genre. Add in MMO and you've got yourself a community.
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
You made a solid point. Other then wanting to find a DBZ game to play when I joined BYOND its also the only place I could find online games that run nice on my shitty laptop.
Gakumerasara wrote:
I never said these things were cheap everywhere. I'm simply saying that for a BYOND project, $20,000 is an unprecedented amount. Surely I'm not the only person who raised an eyebrow at the statement. It's nice to see a quality project though. Best of luck.

I made $150-$200 just from drawing like, 30 sprites, and my art was 5/10 at best. The artist for SW is a far better artist and has like, 20 times the workload I had, so yes, the cost for art can reach a couple thousand quite easily. And thats just the art, that's not counting everyone else he's paying. This is also payment for work over the course of 6 months if I read the kickstarter correctly.
Clearly you folks just like to hear yourselves talk. I asked a simple question with a straightforward answer, which was answered by one of the developers (thank you; even if answered snidely, it was an answer). I didn't ask the peanut gallery to come and give me a lecture on game development, given that I've been on BYOND myself for over a decade. While I support the game, all you're doing now is actively turning me off from it.
I'm not sure what warrants any further debate about this subject after my response to Gakumerasara. But still, it's nice to see discussion that isn't degenerating to name-calling and whatnot; it doesn't really seem to be a peanut gallery just yet.

Sorry if said response came off as snarky, Gaku. Wasn't my intention to be hostile!
It's online through the webclient. The game uses several webclient-specific features.
GatewayRa wrote:
How can this game offer Linux, Mac and PC digital copies when BYOND's only supported on one platform? Oh that's right, they can't. This is how you make money on Kickstarter, folks. Empty promises.

The Webclient is available in Linux and Mac... chill out 'bruh.
Just curious: Will y'all (developers) support roleplaying on this game? I'm referring to a roleplaying server. I've always thought people roleplaying on a pure PVP game was a bit weird.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 8 9