The technical preview is effectively a beta test, their choice to make updates mandatory was solely to make sure the test environment was always up-to-date, it'll be possible to disable them on the release version.
In response to Nadrew
http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/windows/ windows-10-specifications

Under "feature deprecation" section :

Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available.

I might be mis-interpreting this - as it's not exactly clear what we're losing here. But I am assuming you can't turn them off, even in the release version.
I actually disabled them in the tech preview, if I recall it was trivial, but I haven't messed with it in a while.

I believe there's options for various levels of updates.
In response to IchiroKeisuke
IchiroKeisuke wrote:

Under "feature deprecation" section :

Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available.

I might be mis-interpreting this - as it's not exactly clear what we're losing here. But I am assuming you can't turn them off, even in the release version.

No you're right, the user does not have the ability to disable automatic updates, this is plastered all over the website and is not subject to the preview.

Business users will have more "control" apparently.

[EDIT] I'm sure there's a key in regedit you can modify, but the normal user won't know how to do so..
Yikes, you're right, they did remove the option early on. That's terrible. Won't last long though, it takes little effort to make a patch for normal users. Then again, "normal users" should probably leave them enabled =P
In response to Ter13
#therealplaya
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
The technical preview is effectively a beta test, their choice to make updates mandatory was solely to make sure the test environment was always up-to-date, it'll be possible to disable them on the release version.

I'd rather be receiving and correcting bugs related to the most recent builds. It also means (in theory) that we don't have to support multiple iterations/permutations of the same code. Especially since bugs aren't always triaged in a timely manner; I'm still getting bugs from a bug bash two months ago, and it takes time to attempt to repro the described problem and confirm/deny that it's still an issue.

That said, it can get frightfully tedious when your machine elects to update at an inopportune time. You can usually delay the automatic update, but it'll kick in despite your preferences if your machine is restarted/turned off for any reason. We've had entire meetings derailed because the person presenting ended up having a forced update at the wrong moment.

The site allowing users to opt in for the insider preview specifies that early builds can be risky and recommends that the OS isn't installed on primary home or business PCs. Take that warning to heart, folks!

Related aside: there may be an option to delay updates until a time when the computer isn't in use (Win-S, search for Windows Update, and then select the radio button that states that it'll schedule a restart during a time that you don't usually use your device), but I'm certain that it doesn't currently work on many builds. The branch in which I'm opted doesn't.

You might be able to get by with setting a specific restart time, but a forced update will occur if your machine restarts for any other reason.

There should also be myriad options related to updates in Settings. Just make sure to select the Advanced options link in Windows Update, which is the first tab of the Update & Security page in Settings.

IchiroKeisuke wrote:

en-HK? You're in Hong Kong? How does it look? I had a couple of bugs for HK recently, but they were specific to zhongwen (zh-HK).
Page: 1 2