ID:1864266

Version 507.1286

Effectively, so far in Roleplay Unlimited at least, the game will consistently freeze up. Not crash, but it gives that not responding symbol. The CPU usage is at around 13% at all times, at this point, on a computer with a quad core i7 950 (So that's one whole processor of 3.3GHz)

Now, this does NOT happen if I switch to an older byond version. 506.1250 is the one I tested, and no issue there-- this also happens with other byond games such as Sigrogana Legends 2, and a few dbz fangames.

There is also a common issue of outputs not scrolling down when required, and more-- it seems to build up over time (Games reaching >500mb ram, used to only hit 1-200), and more. I don't know what changed, but it's making playing games really bad. Even after I close down my dreamseeker via Task Manager, TaskHost and SVCHOST are still using the 13% cpu. I can say I'm not theo nly one with this issue either (I have several friends with it as well)

As note, I am on Windows 7 64bit
SVCHost.exe had a issue with memory leakage and if you get high ram usage from it I suggest downloading the patch from Microsoft.
It's also the CPU in BYOND Though that's a problem-- the main one in fact. I have 16g of ram, so that's not an issue. It's more the fact a text-based roleplay should not be using 13% of my cpu. Nevermind when it's only after a specific update-- it's gotta be a bug, right?
Well yes, I've seen multiple reports that 507 is causing major spikes in cpu usage. So my bets would be it being a bug.
Right. Thanks for the heads up on the SVHost patch, though! I'll search that up! Even with how much memory I have it's a pain having to reboot every day because there's memory buildup to 60%
I suggest getting malware bytes and do a quick search, you might be surprised what you have lurking in your system. It'll also speed you up a lot faster if you do have stuff like that built up. CCleaner is also good to have.
The only thing I've discovered so far regarding CPU usage in 507 is that grids may behave differently in the newer builds. A good way to check that is to compare to the 506 build created with VS2013--I suspect it would be identical.

Interestingly, RP Unlimited is the source of the report I've been investigating. From what I can tell, it appears this game specifically aggravates some difference in the builds. The author is looking into it, and I'm looking into it from my end.
I use CCleaner actually-- and I work with Anthony for RPU. I don't know what code is causing it, but grids does make a lot of sense actually. Older RPU versions I've tested do not suffer the same issue-- those ones lack the grid for characters, and instead use a stat panel. RPU utilizes atoms in said grid to display characters. The grid is refreshed a whole lot-- mostly when your 'active character' and selected change, or a new character is created or one is deleted.
The behavior I saw indicated something more had to be happening behind the scenes, because it was churning more than I think it should have with the grid active. Makes me wonder if there's an update going on that isn't readily apparent.