ID:186443

When is it coming out? Cause right now, client.IsByondMember() is useless to me...what a jip!! lol >_<
I second this motion VERY urgently.
We need to switch to OpenGL (or whatever it's called) so we can get grahpic support!
I know one person cannot change the oppinon, but without WindowsXP(some stupid error not letting me recover)
I am DIEING without BYOND!
(all I get is text mode, and a .dm only compiler)

Little by little...
I die...
Everyday..
Without BYOND...
In response to Flame Sage
So..you can't draw icons?
In response to Sniper Joe
Oh nevermind.
Thought he was just talking about no map or anything. Didn't realize he meant icon editor too. =P
In response to Artekia
Our DreamMaker is basicly..
(Console)
# DreamMaker whatever.dm (or .dme)
Compiling whatever.dm
Sucessful!
Build whatever.dmb

-------------------------
Thats it.
No map editor
No icon editor
Only a .dm COMPILER (if you want to edit it, you have to you your favorite notepad editor)

I believe the other OSes need to get up to speed with windows.
Windows is already at a good point, you should hire a few linux / mac developers that know what there doing.
In response to Artekia
_> Thats right! :P , Just kidding =)
If it wasn't for BYOND, I would STAY on linux in a heartbeat.
LOL. I actually meant the linux version of BYOND 3.5 to be able to host it on a shell..

because I compile a 3.5 game with a client.IsByondMember() proc and when hosting on a linux shell, their isn't any 3.5 linux version so the shell generates an undefined error since the most current version of it is only 341/342, no 3.5.. :P
In response to Vizuke
Shh..
Us linux users need a GUI too.
i'm sure the guys doing the developing will jump in, and here's my two cents to boot:

While I may be one the more hardcore Linux users and would love to have a Linux version of BYOND as graphical as what the Windoze crowd enjoys, I am not so naive to think that 'switching to OpenGL' is the quick answer to our porting problems. OpenGL has it's problems, GTK has it's problems, just as other 'open standards' have their problems. it takes time to find the best solution that would allow development to be progress so that one codebase can be used for all platforms supported.

there is no panacea to get BYOND on the three major platforms, so we must wait patiently in the hopes that we are not forgotten.

speaking of, whatever happened to the guy who uses FreeBSD (i think), and his kids were bugging him to make a graphical interface for DS some months ago? any word on his progress?

In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
speaking of, whatever happened to the guy who uses FreeBSD (i think), and his kids were bugging him to make a graphical interface for DS some months ago? any word on his progress?

I searched the forum for more posts by him a few weeks ago and didn't see anything new.
I can compile 3.5 for the unix versions in a little bit. I'll reply again when it's available.
In response to Mike H
Yes but when can you really ADVANCE the development of a linux GUI program?