Stray Games

by Falacy
Because BYOND.
ID:1864448
 
BYOND Sucks #1
Forced Updates

* Since I'm apparently making regular posts now, about how much BYOND sucks, I figure I'd turn it into an exciting series =P

In today's exciting BYOND news! Lummox has decided to force all versions up to 500+, under claims of "stability and security", but its far more likely he just wants to gouge BYOND users for ad revenue that he in no way deserves. Most likely the biggest, possibly only reason people aren't updating to the latest versions.

They are still, supposedly, offering support for a single version of BYOND before it went full ad scam mode. However, trying to install that version fails:


There's also mention of continued support for "standalone games", something that don't actually exist, because the exe maker is garbage, and only one game makes any kind of prominent use with it - NEStalgia - which has very few players even after massive external marketing.

Also, lots of talk about a FreeBSD version of BYOND, support for an OS that literaly nobody uses for anything. I sure hope they're pouring thousands of man hours into developing support for that one!

Good day, sirs!
2many rips on Byond
In response to Shust
Shust wrote:
2many rips on Byond

2many rips on Steam Greenlight.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Shust wrote:
2many rips on Byond

2many rips on Steam Greenlight.

Are there? In the same context as BYOND? There are a lot of similar games on greenlight (mostly DayZ or Minecraft style ones), but most of them offer a somewhat unique experience, and graphical style, built from the ground up. Unlike the rips of BYOND, which should more accurately be refereed to as (illegal) "mods", where somebody simply steals an already built game, in its entirety, and renames it, making minimal, if any changes.
Not in the same context no, but similar. The usage of unedited art assets is prevalent.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Not in the same context no, but similar. The usage of unedited art assets is prevalent.

Interesting, I don't really browse greenlight much tbh =P
if you don't like BYOND then why you are here xD?
yes there is some things in BYOND sucks but it is still better than gamemaker
Strai, why so bitter?
In response to Ss4gogeta0
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
Strai, why so bitter?

Well, in this specific post, primarily because Lummox is forcing an minimum version requirement, just so he can pad his pockets with ad revenue - ad revenue he in no way shares with the games actually earning it for him. Are you for some reason excitedly overjoyed to see such a move by BYOND management?
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
Strai, why so bitter?

Well, in this specific post, primarily because Lummox is forcing an minimum version requirement, just so he can pad his pockets with ad revenue - ad revenue he in no way shares with the games actually earning it for him. Are you for some reason excitedly overjoyed to see such a move by BYOND management?

eh, not really. but it is what it is. no use crying over spilled milk
In response to Ss4gogeta0
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
eh, not really. but it is what it is. no use crying over spilled milk

Just the attitude that got BYOND where it is today; half the player-base, an empty website, non-stop management and admin harassment, less game engine quality than a calculator. Keep licking your milk off the floor.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
eh, not really. but it is what it is. no use crying over spilled milk

Just the attitude that got BYOND where it is today; half the player-base, an empty website, non-stop management and admin harassment, less game engine quality than a calculator. Keep licking your milk off the floor.

only reason I have the attitude is because I am hardly here anymore due to my other projects and college and such...

oh and happy belated birthday strai.