Code:
stat("Players Online:\n")
stat("")
stat("")
stat(PLAYERS)
stat("")
stat("")

Problem description:

I understand that stat(PLAYERS) shows the player's icon and name.. I want to show the src's level. I thought it'd work as stat(PLAYERS, "Level: [src.level]"). but does not show the player's icon next to src's level.
There's sort of a way to do this how you want. Basically, generate an object for each player for the who menu, and jam them into the global list. Update them with the player's icon, overlays, and underlays. Then update the name with the player's name, and the suffix with the level. This way, it's sort of like a fake inventory.

var
list/online_players = list()

mob
proc
UpdateWho(obj/o)
if(client)
o.icon = icon
o.underlays = underlays
o.overlays = overlays
o.name = name
o.suffix = "(lv [level])"
spawn(50)
UpdateWho(o)
Login()
. = ..()
var/obj/o = new()
o.tag = "who:\ref[src]"
online_players += o
UpdateWho(o)

Logout()
var/obj/o = locate("who:\ref[src]")
online_players -= o
. = ..()

Stat()
statpanel("online players",online_players)
if(statpanel("online players"))
stat("players:",online_players.len)
Alright thanks for the great tips! But when I tried to compile, it left me with one error. this is a mission expression in this line. if(statpanel("online players",online_players)). I typed in everything the exact way it says. Am surprised.
Oh... sorry, my bad, it's been almost a decade since I've used statpanels. I adopted Silk's method of using screen objects for pretty much everything before it was Silk's method.

I fixed the problem.
I knew it had to do something with one of those expressions where the statpanel was.. just couldn't quite get it till I saw. Such a simple expression to figure out xD Thanks though! and it's all good.
one last question, I forgot to mention.. say I have icon overlays that in pixel_y=32. which goes over on top of the player's icon. would there be a way in the play tab to have those icon set up as.. I believe it'd be 32x64? so that it shows the icons better instead of having those overlays blocking the players.
No.
ok understandable, thanks.