ID:1867915

BYOND saying: "Never announce something you have not yet done. Try, and you will be instantly robbed of the determination to do it. 100% guaranteed!"

Can someone elaborate on that? I mean I don't know I/we should announce our intentions to do a project or intentions to finish a project.

Also, I think that may have happened to me at this one BYOND video game project this year. But I don't know what I announced has caused this if this has caused this. I wanted to announce now something too but this saying holds me back.
Announcing a new project can motivate you depending on the feedback you get. If you have screenshots or previous projects that were successful, you'll get some nice support.

If not, they'll probably tell you to stop creating games because you never release them. In both cases, it means absolutely nothing and you should never wait for others to tell you if you should continue creating a game or not.
In response to Kidpaddle45
I think there is another reason for that. I think its in psychology. I read in an another website that announcing projects makes you feel like you have already done them and that makes you not want to do them.
If you're going to announce a project, you should probably already have a working Alpha in development. When you have something physical to show for your efforts, not only are you more liable to receive constructive criticism, but you're also more likely to attract the attention of other developers and resource artists willing to help you complete it and make it as good as possible.

I have a somewhat ambitious project in the pipeline right now that won't be announced until I'm ready to look for an artist and final-build alpha testers. That's probably the best way to do it in indie game development, in my opinion. Don't show anything to people until you're ready to have people play around with it, even if just on a limited basis.
In response to Kats
EXCELLENT POST :D! Very insightful. But also I just thought what is announcement? Is it telling the project is in development or that you intend to work on it?
In response to TheDarkChakra
I would say that there's a difference in announcement and hyping. Announcing that a project is being worked on, without sparing any further details will most certainly not hinder development, at least in my experience, but trying to hype an unfinished project most certainly will. It's like if you were trying to show off an impressive hand without actually having anything printed on the cards: everyone knows it's just talk, even you. And now that you've basically opened your mouth about how great it's going to be, you'll be somewhat daunted by the expectations set forth by your piers. If you're going to brag about something, it should be worth bragging about.

Lack of confidence in your development ability combined with the pressure to actually create something impressive often leads to projects being abandoned.

With that being said, I don't think there's any harm in bouncing game ideas around with the community. Getting feedback on what people would think about a certain type of game and its general gameplay idea is a fair way of assessing what people want to see. All these people developing Naruto games would know that no one wants to see any more on the hub if they would just bounce the idea with the community first, for example.

I for one would love to see a well-polished non-mmorpg game being developed on the platform. I think with NEStalgia and now Severed Worlds in development, us developers should start branching out into different niches to give a well-rounded experience to all gamers. Adventure Platformer? What about Tower Defence? Casual games need love too!
In response to Kats
Nice post.
Luckily I'm a sociopath so I never need to deal with such confidence issues. Though I believe I probably showed my project too early, it might decrease the new hype factor. However people calling your project bad hasn't happened to me though I expected it to happen. You just have to realize this is the internet where every one takes out there feelings from their repressed lives.

Not take is personally and keep on working. See it as a job a duty not a hobby. Your working to entertain people not yourself
Although seems to be common sense, I wish I'd have come across this statement earlier. I announced alot of games that I ended up not completing or putting out due to the lack of motivation mostly from the lack of support I got..

I feel it's better to just do what YOU want to do. I learned that feedback, no matter which community, will be some negative some positive..
I don't think it was bad feedback that caused me to quit that project I started this year. The feedback wasn't even bad or negative in any way. I just lost motivation and determination. So I'm thinking about this old BYOND quote that I wrote in my OP. I thought it might have at least something to do with it. I won't announce any projects until I have something playable done.