ID:1868446

I've been having some fun drawing some animals in monochrome. It's really not easy. I swear this cow took two hours.

I'm interested in seeing what you guys can make and if you can improve on mine. I'm not very good at this so you probably can improve it. No cheating though, just one foreground colour and one background colour.

For these I'm inspired by games like Dwarf Fortress.
Probably the best cat I can do but I'm not happy with it. I almost threw this out a lot of times.

The key seems to be shadowing on the legs and not showing more than 2 legs. At this resolution you don't have the space to fit 4 legs I think. With four legs it just seems to look kinda like an insect rather than an animal.
True I'll have a look into that. I wouldn't say I've been doing pixel overs per say but for the cow I traced by sight having a picture on the left and my canvas on the right.

I would do the outline first which looked amazing in my opinion but then I would fill in the interior because it has to be one colour and all of a sudden I'd lose a lot of important detail and it would look a wreck.

So after I had the 'shadow' I called it which was this ugly thing but with semi-decent anatomy I would go over it many times adjusting individual parts to bring them out or provide queues to what they are.

So far I'm finding that it's part anatomy and part visual queues. Visual queues being the reason we all know Bugs Bunny is a rabbit without him actually looking remotely like a rabbit. He just has the visual queues we're looking for when deciding if something is a rabbit or not. Big ears, grey, fluffy, stubby tail etc which is probably only 5% of Bugs and the rest is humanoid.

I can kinda lean more towards anatomy or queues, realism or cartoonism.

P.S I like your idea to fix the legs. There's angles there which need to get smoothed out but some 90 degrees there are important to show the person it has knees.