ID:187144

I'm a steadfast person against pay-for-play MMORPGs -- though not defeating the point of the game, it seems counter-intuitive to spend hundreds of dollars per year on a game you've already bought.

But the other day, one of the folks I hang out with on IRC came out with a stunning development... he bought World of Warcraft.

"I must have picked up the box, put it back on the shelf, and walked away four times before I took it to the checkout. It was pitiful. I died a little inside."

...Now how am I supposed to avoid buying it?
Well, wait for guild wars. World of Warcraft is ok from what I heard, but nothing special. Guild Wars will be an online RPG(a little diffrent from most MMORPGs, a little more like diablo) and will be free, after purchase of course.
Be strong! You CAN fight the temptation!
On a side note, I've been looking at Project Entropia for a while. It's a sort of half free game, where you can convert money back and forth between real money and PED (Project Entropia Dollars). It's a rather large download though - the system specs say it takes up 3GB of space. Luckily it uses a Valve type system, so you can resume a download from where you left off.
Hopefully, it'll still be around when I have A) A better computer and B) A University bedroom with aforementioned computer, where I can do whatever I like. (A 3gb Download? An online universe? My parents would go nuts if even if I just asked them.)
In response to Scoobert
a D20 rolls over and dies ;-)
You could consider it a disgusting reminder of a degrading society and determine to find something better to do.
In response to Jmurph
It was. You played the role of some dude in a world. It has a story line(albeit horrible) and everything.
I bought WoW over Christmas and played it for about two or three weeks. It was fun while I played, but it got boring to play without friends. None of my friends would pay money to play it.. meh.
Well, they DO have to pay for the servers. Do you expect them to start losing money after a few years of running it?

And uh, Yeah although I've never played WoW, I hear nothing but the best.
Spuzzum wrote:
"I must have picked up the box, put it back on the shelf, and walked away four times before I took it to the checkout. It was pitiful. I died a little inside."

I'm currently engaged in that dance of death myself. I see the game, pick it up, then think "Wait a second, it's a MMORPG, it's pay-to-play, you don't really want to do this" and walk away.
It's only a matter of time before I'm hanging around my Dad when he's on an impulse buying spree and we walk past EB...
In response to DarkView
There is nothing wrong with breaking down and trying a pay to play online rpg. It dosent make you a bad person.

I was born in 1985, and just last week was the first time I broke down and bought a MMORP. It was EverQuest Platinum. I bought a month and got a mont free.

I was tired of downloading these massive files over the internet, then updating and then playing the free MMORPGs that had buggy systems, bad lag, and poor gameplay.

EverQuest plays great, even on my old P3 533HMZ PC and 56K dial up and the lag is very little to none. Its a fun game, but due to the lack of players, I prolly wont buy another month.

The point is, you can go cheap or you can buy a commercial MMORPG and get a better package and deal.

And just because you play MMORPG doesnt mean you are killing triditional tabel top role playing games. I have a game over at my house once or twice a month.
In response to Shades
The point is, you can go cheap or you can buy a commercial MMORPG and get a better package and deal.

http://www.mudconnector.com/

Go there. Have it select a random MUD. And even though its random it has a good chance of having more depth than Everquest minus the laggy and processor intensive 3D engine. Not only are most the MUDs on that site free but they outclass Everquest. If you can't find find a better free alternate to Everquest that is stable you must not be looking too hard :P.
In response to Jmurph
The definition of RPG is so nebulous and varies from person to person that if you called any given game an RPG you'd end up with a good deal of people who agree and a good deal of people who disagree. Best to just avoid using it as a genre because everyone who hears it is going to have a different idea of what you mean and you'll end up having to further clarify it anyway :P.
In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:

http://www.mudconnector.com/

Go there. Have it select a random MUD. And even though its random it has a good chance of having more depth than Everquest minus the laggy and processor intensive 3D engine. Not only are most the MUDs on that site free but they outclass Everquest. If you can't find find a better free alternate to Everquest that is stable you must not be looking too hard :P.

Well said :P Having said that, I still fell victim to EverQuest for 5 years. The sense of community in that game is what kept me, and tens of thousands of others, around. I've since moved on to WoW, and it seems like a fair bit of pass-time fun, but the sense of community isn't there. At all. So I don't expect it to hold my interest for 5 years.

Speaking of which, MUD's have held it for 6 years and still continue to do so. Score 1 for text-based games based off outdated code written by a bunch of danish guys (and one girl.=) with too much time on their hands. However, MUDs in general have taken huge hits from MMORPGs and are now bleakly populated, compared to before MMORPG's started to catch on. Godwars in particular killed off a lot of interest for MUDs (shame on you KaVir, shame on you!). Im finding myself hard-pressed to resume work on one, despite the urging from friends. Ah well. THere's still some fairly good, populated MUDs out there that haven't gone commercial (yet)
In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:
The definition of RPG is so nebulous and varies from person to person that if you called any given game an RPG you'd end up with a good deal of people who agree and a good deal of people who disagree. Best to just avoid using it as a genre because everyone who hears it is going to have a different idea of what you mean and you'll end up having to further clarify it anyway :P.

People who have the argument that "all da games are roleplayin and so dey r all rpgs LOL" are being a bit silly.
Their own logic completely defies any reason to categorise them in the first place.
If they are all RPGs, why call them RPGs?

urgh.
In response to Elation
They are right though, no matter how you cut it.

Any game where you play the role of another is role playing.
Its just that the game industry has set certian categorys to every game, making it easier to indentify.

It all depends on personal defination.
In response to Shades
Shades wrote:
They are right though, no matter how you cut it.

No, no they aren't.
The system was put in place so we could distinguish between games. Putting every game into the same cateogry completely defeats the aim of the system, rendering the system useless.
So to keep the system intact, we don't say that every game is an RPG.

Its just that the game industry has set certian categorys to every game, making it easier to indentify.

Yes, that's exactly why we should ignore stupid claims that all games are RPGs.

It all depends on personal defination.

No, it all depends on the game industry's definition.
Or, we could all start using our own lingo for certain things, and that would get confusing!

It's called organisation. It works.
In response to Shades
Any game where you play the role of another is role playing.

You generally aren't playing the role you're just given it and have no opportunity to do anything about it. If the plot of a game mentions stratagy and there is stratagy employed in scripted sequences does that mean there are stratagy elements in the game despite the player isn't involved with it? Could I call it a stratagy game because of them?
In response to Shades
Shades wrote:
There is nothing wrong with breaking down and trying a pay to play online rpg. It dosent make you a bad person.

Sure it does.

It's a gateway game... first you're paying for EverQuest... then, next thing you know, you're paying for Lineage II, or, heaven forbid, Planetside...

;-)
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:
Well said :P Having said that, I still fell victim to EverQuest for 5 years. The sense of community in that game is what kept me, and tens of thousands of others, around. I've since moved on to WoW, and it seems like a fair bit of pass-time fun, but the sense of community isn't there. At all. So I don't expect it to hold my interest for 5 years.

World of Warcraft has one of the most interesting communities up to date. Not only is their system practically "grief" proof from other lame players, most of the people are willing to help you out by giving you a buff or two, or even helping you out on a quest. It's safe to say, World of Wacraft is one of the best MMORPGs I've ever played ... I mean this is the only game in its genre where you can go to a local tavern, buy a drink for you and a couple of your friends, get tanked, and have an overall good time! Its emotes are fairly pleasing as well; it's always fun to join into rave dance parties, considering that each class has its own specific dance.

I highly recommend you at least try out its free month for this game. I haven't seen a person yet come up to me saying "this game wasn't worth the money".
In response to Asguard
Wait, this game has one free month? Can you link me to a website where I can download this?
Page: 1 2