ID:187195

I must say, this game is pretty neat. Not the most indepth and epic of RPG's but definatly original in many senses, with tons of ways to keep you interested long after the actual game is complete. Basically you decide how to "raise" your character, you can be a good-hearted hero helping others, a bloodthirsty monster of a person killing everything in sight, or just be an average everyday neutral person.

The equipment system is somewhat generic, but unlike most it changes your characters appearance based on what you have. You also have the option of "augmenting" a weapon to have special magical properties.

I liked being able to change most of the visual aspects of the character, this includes tatoos, hair, clothes, and just about everything else you can change after birth.

My only real problem is the lack of game length, I really wish it was longer.
Nadrew wrote:
I liked being able to change most of the visual aspects of the character, this includes tatoos,

I've noticed that pretty much every game that allows you to change your appearance has tattoos in it. The problem is they're never any good. At best you'll get a 'tribal' design that looks alright.
The rest are usually the sort of lame stuff you'd expect to rub off in the shower.

I guess it would be a waste to have a stunning portfolio of possible tattoos, but for me it's like the carrot just out of reach. I can see the system, I can see the potential, but I reach out and instead of getting a cool looking character I get a mouthful of pirate flags and smily faces.

As for the length is it short on modern standards or old? Short games seem to be par for the course nowdays. Sometimes I get the feeling 32 hours is the new Final Fantasy VII.
In response to DarkView
The tatoos in this game change various character stats based on the tatoo.

And it's normal post-FFVII game length. (short compared to older games)
This has got to be one of the best RPG's for XBox, even though its not Traditional RPG it still fun, that brings up another point i have with RPG's. Isn't ANY game you play an RPG in some sort of way or another, your playing the role of a character that isn't you so even sports games, strategy, action, puzzle, all are actually RPG's are they not? Heh sorry for off topic anyways, Fable is great they could have done alot better with it and yes make it longer but all in all its one of the best rpgs for Xbox.
I got it...Well 1/24/05...oddly enough. It is a great game. I have gotten though most of the game (I think, I am at the areana). It is nice. Lots of little things to do, like play table golf, blackjack, and a lot of other table top mini games. I would love to see a little more non-linier gameplay.
In response to Scoobert
Originally you weren't set to walk along paths like you do, but to have it all huge and open but it made things very difficult and was bugs galore. But earlier versions did have it.

I liked the fact that if you're evil you can just get a shopowner drunk and drag him out to the woods and steal all his stuff, then take the profits of doing that a bit and buy the 255 damage sword at a very low level.
In response to Draconite
Nowadays it's harder to define. An RPG bases way more of it's efforts on story and consistancy than any other type of game, and it is supposed to be a game where you get to know the characters, feel for them and feel as if you're in their shoes. Somehow I don't feel like a fat italian whenever I warp down a pipe in Super Mario.
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:
I've noticed that pretty much every game that allows you to change your appearance has tattoos in it. The problem is they're never any good.

If you play Def Jam Fight For NY you will find that they have a wide variety of tattoos and the further you progress the more designs you aquire. Their tattoos are simply amazing. Almost every design you can possibly think of (and colour).
This game was not really my cup of tea. The advertisments made it sound like it takes hours to go from child to adult, meanwhile, it takes merely 15 seconds. I was extremely disappointed but the wide variety of quests and mini-games made it all worthwhile (even though I have no beat it yet. I stopped playing after the third or fourth guild quest).
In response to GokuDBZ3128
GokuDBZ3128 wrote:
If you play Def Jam Fight For NY you will find that they have a wide variety of tattoos and the further you progress the more designs you aquire.

I was rather impressed with Def Jam. At first I thought it was just going to use extreme violence and not worry about gameplay, but you could remove the extremeness and still have a good game.
I didn't like any of the tattoos (the tribal were alright, but nothing great). I think I had pretty much all of them open. It's got a lot, I'll admit that, but none of them are that good looking.
They need to just go into a few tattoo parlors and take everything off the walls, then make it so that you can move/rotate the tattoos and put them anywhere.
In response to DarkView
So was I. I thought it was just going to be a banch of rappers knife fighting. Great graphics, and since I havent't played Soul Calibre 2 in 2005 yet, it's the best fighting game I've played all year.
In response to JordanUl
JordanUl wrote:
So was I. I thought it was just going to be a banch of rappers knife fighting. Great graphics, and since I havent't played Soul Calibre 2 in 2005 yet, it's the best fighting game I've played all year.

They're different genres, but both fantastic games.
Get the gamecube version, it has Rinky-dink!
In response to Elation
Xbox has Spawn. He rules.
In response to JordanUl
JordanUl wrote:
Xbox has Spawn. He rules.

Apart from the weapons he uses has nothing to do with the actual character himself.

Plus Link's hotter.
The game can be summed up with "sweet but short", but to a great extent. I loved bashing away evil skeletons with my giant hammer, with my little halo hangin' above me...But it ended so fast!
In response to Elation
Actully when the deveopers first started talking about Fable (a few years ago) they actully ment for the game itself to be much more indepth and epic. It was supposed to take you like 2 months to beat the game.

Your charater was also supposed to be able to change the skin colours and musel mass and stuff, based on what you did. There was ALOT promised at the very beginning of the developemt and from my stand point, watchig them develope and give us what we got, it is very annoying and depressing.

Still, the game turned out quite good, and is the best rpg for xbox right now. But that isnt saying much, xbox has (censored) for games.
In response to JordanUl
I luv Soul Caliber. I have it for PS2, so I get that little Street Fighter guy. He's not very impressive. When I first started the game, I impulsively chose Knightmare to try and fight with, and loved him. Now, I can beat any of my freinds with 5% health while they have 200%.

I was never into fighter games before SC2, because they were all "punch block kick dodge punch block kick dodge YOU WIN!".. Soul Caliber has a lot more strategy, and I just love how you only get better by sheer practice with a character.

I would use Knightmare and fight his archenemy Raphael on the hardest difficulty setting all the time...I wish I could like, take a video camera and show you guys, cause it's a pretty awesome battle. :D
In response to Zaole
The only problem with games like Soul Caliber is that your favorite character is always the first person you chose to fight with first. =P
In response to GokuDBZ3128
GokuDBZ3128 wrote:
The only problem with games like Soul Caliber is that your favorite character is always the first person you chose to fight with first. =P

:P
I became good as Link, but now I'm training with Cervantes and Knightmare.

Sometimes, I get confused and try flying as Link, pulling my bow out as Knightmare, and going into Lower Knight Stance with Cervantes.
I think: "WAH!?!"

...yeah.

Zaole wrote:
I luv Soul Caliber. I have it for PS2, so I get that little Street Fighter guy. He's not very impressive. When I first started the game, I impulsively chose Knightmare to try and fight with, and loved him. Now, I can beat any of my freinds with 5% health while they have 200%.

From Tekken. And he sucks.
He's an old man! He sucks.

Yeah, Knightmare ROCKS. You can beat people in a 3-attack-combo (yeah, yeah, balancing smchallencing, I was against the Easy computer).

I love the fighting style of Knightmare, the way he can keep on smothering an opponent and never let them away from his volley of lethal swings. Pwnage.

I was never into fighter games before SC2, because they were all "punch block kick dodge punch block kick dodge YOU WIN!".. Soul Caliber has a lot more strategy, and I just love how you only get better by sheer practice with a character.

There ARE a few moves that you can cheap at, but they are very few, just getting past the designer's testings.
But nobody likes a 'cheaper'.

I would use Knightmare and fight his archenemy Raphael on the hardest difficulty setting all the time...I wish I could like, take a video camera and show you guys, cause it's a pretty awesome battle. :D

Yeah, some of the battles have left me quivering.

Me versus my brother, me: Link, him: The...er, aladdin style guy.

CLA-CLASH!! ZA-DA DUM!
BANG BANG SWOWOOOSSH!
Guard parry, guard parry, guard parry, CLOSE SIDE-STEP MAN THAT WAS AMAZING, jump over low kick, duck under high kick, guard parry, block, leap back, DECISIVE BLOW!
BOTH ON 5 PERCENT HEALTH AND WITHIN A FEW FEET OF EACHOTHER!
COUNTDOWN:
RUNS FORWARD, GUARD PARRY THE TENSION IS UNBEARABLE!
SHAKING HANDS, CONTROLLER JERKING ABOUT!
HIGH KICK DODGE PUNCH SWEEP GRAPPLE AVOID!
BACKFLIP OUT THE WAY!
RUN FORWARD, HE COMES OUT OF NOWHERE, I DODGE, GRAB, COUNTERED...
GUARD PARRY
DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA (is the sound in my head)
DIDIDIDIDDIDIIDIDID (is my heart beat)
SHADUM!!!!!!
SLICING OVER THE BACK OF THE HEAD, TAKEN OUT!

I AM THE VICTOR!