In response to Jamesburrow
Actually the Seika movie has been dropped for now. The guy who was making it stole models from Morrowind, everything in the movie was ripped.
In response to Kunark
It's not the fact that he is making a movie, it's the fact that he is making a movie about a hack-n-slash MORPG.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-02-25
In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:
Well everyone has different opinions though evidently if someone is willing to donate 325$ for the game I'm guessing they enjoy it.

I was there when Phantom (I think that is his name) donated the bulk of that money. From what I gathered he seemed to be doing it just to brag/get his name on the top of the donations list.

(Not that Seika isn't worth donating to in order to show your support).

Also $2,000 isn't that much when you think about it. $10 lifetime subscriptions * 200 subscribers over the history of the game. Also when you take into account he didn't get that money all at once and it went straight back into the server it becomes less impressive.
I doubt any of the money could count as profit, but running a game like Seika and actually paying for some of the costs of running it with money generated from the game is a pretty big achievement.
Jamesburrow wrote:
what was your game? Most make at least $10\
.>

I haven't made a cent from most of my games, and a few of them are reasonably popular. (Not at the same level as Seika, but they get played and people seem to like them.)

I've actually made more money from libraries than games. =) (All praise BYONDscape!)
In response to Kunark
Kunark wrote:
I laughed really hard when he said he thought his seika idea was good enough to beat out MMORPG market competitors.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! He actually said that??? Thats some funny stuff right there, lets see his $2000 beat oh let me just put an example up Evercrack ( about 600k - 1mil playing, [12.95 a month normal, $25 with Legends] so in one month eq makes about 7.77mil - 25mil ) Hmmm seems like his $2k just got shot down , burned, and flushed down toilet with just one mmo. Shall we try another one?
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
I have the dedication, just not the time. =)

Plus I made the mistake of making all these other games, too... and now people expect me to update them once in a while... =P

Im the same way i have no time to finish any of my projects i work 9 - 6 and when i get home my gf is on the computer playing FFxi til its time for bed so i have no time except maybe at work on breaks. Problem is i have projects that people come in and say that they love the games i do and want them out. Its sad i just dont have the time to.
That is a big waste of money.
In response to DarkView
Thing is, he hasn't had 200 subscribers, much less.

People have donated over 100 dollars per person at times.
In response to Elation
I wonder how much Gunbuddy made for MJ. o.o
In response to Mega fart cannon
Mega fart cannon wrote:
I wonder how much Gunbuddy made for MJ. o.o

Sadly, probably a lot, because people play games with RPG Maker graphics that are hack 'n' slash.
I'm sorry but I fail to see the need to give BYOND games money. What could money possibly do to enhance the actual game itself?
In response to DeathAwaitsU
Motivate the person(s) working on the game.

Although for the most part I see it as bragging that you can afford to donate money. It also seems to be a common way to try and buy your way into the creators good books.
In response to Kunark
I'd have to agree strongly with this. I myself have been a gamer all my life, and I find myself comming back and enjoying mmog communities like this which are free, made by players and retro. Theres alot more, if not as much potential here than for big titles. Donating to something you love, as opposed to paying for a 'product' is alot better for the gamer and developer IMHO. Theres an unspoken relationship here that unites them instead of pitting them on different sides of a gamer spectrum. I really like these games, and I can see myself donating in the near future.
In response to Hell Ramen
Would that even be allowed? It's not like RPG Maker and anything in it was created with the intention of becoming public domain...
In response to Sarm
Sarm wrote:
Would that even be allowed? It's not like RPG Maker and anything in it was created with the intention of becoming public domain...

Well some(most?) of the community-created graphics are, but not any of those that came with the program.
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
I've really got to make that MMORPG of mine... it would own Seika, assuming I ever managed to finish it. =D

Let me know if you need a legit icon artist for that game you're planning! As of now, I'm open for business, and scouting games that're good enough for my talent (not trying to sound abnoxious)!

Seika isn't bad, but what's worse is the horrible ego he gets from the donations thing ... sheesh .... $2000 bucks.
same I'm super dedicated... been working on a game of kings for what seems like 3 years now, and not anywhere near finished.

It's fairly popular (over 100+ people on my pager) yet I don't recall ever acquiring donations from it... other then a few dimes.

Of course, they did take out the easy donation system... byonDimes or whatever :P

Oh well, I'll keep making A Game of Kings regardless if anyone likes it... because I'm stubborn and I'm going to finish it!
In response to Asguard
Heh, my MMORPG is essentially vapourware. I don't expect that I'll ever get it done, or even mostly done.

Maybe in, say, Python some day, but not in BYOND... some things I want to do in it are a little complicated for BYOND, and I'd like to be able to customise the network model.
In response to Crispy
Hot damn! Back to work on that sorting procedure library then. Quicksort here I come!
In response to Game sabre
Game sabre wrote:

The people who play it say its a good game? I play it, i disagree.

Then why are you playing it?
Page: 1 2 3 4