ID:187288

Buy it. Now.

Seriously.

My opinion is that it is the best game I've played out of all of the games of the last eleven years.
Roger.
In response to Jermman
Sir,Yes sir!

~>Jiskuha
I have to agree :)
My opinion is that it is the best game I've played out of all of the games of the last eleven years.

I wouldn't say best but it certainly is pretty good fun for a few days :).
In response to Theodis
Yeah, it's not exactly the sort of game that's suited to solid play. It's one of those "pick-up-and-play whenever you're bored" kind of things. But it's a great one.
In response to Spuzzum
What's Pirates all about? I've only played the Civilization games by the famed Meier. Just got Civ 3 Complete Myself. :-)
In response to RagnarofBurland
RagnarofBurland wrote:
What's Pirates all about? I've only played the Civilization games by the famed Meier. Just got Civ 3 Complete Myself. :-)

Look into Alpha Centuri, I love that.
Spuzzum wrote:
Buy it. Now.

Seriously.

Is it better than the original? Or at least the same? It's mostly the atmosphere in Pirates Gold I want to feel. The hand-painted graphics and beautiful music... ahh.

/Gazoot
In response to Jiskuha
Avast, arr, yarr!

-Thorg

P.S. I got the special edition boxed set with the free t-shirt and map of the west-indies - Sittin' pretty! :p
In response to Gazoot
Is it better than the original? Or at least the same? It's mostly the atmosphere in Pirates Gold I want to feel. The hand-painted graphics and beautiful music... ahh.

If you have a good connection, check out the website at http://www.atari.com/pirates/. I have to say that yes, the graphics are phenomenal, the music is great, the added minigames are beautiful and engaging, the fencing absolutely rocks, the ship battles are more precise and entertaining... so to answer your "is it better" question, I'll have to reply "duh". ;-)

Mind you, the requirements it mentions are absolute minimum at the lowest graphics settings. On my 1.9 GHz processor with my 256 MB of RAM and 128 MB Radeon 9600 Pro, I still get bogged down occasionally on the higher graphical details (I've found that scaling down the water detail doesn't make the game appear any worse, though, and improves performance a good amount).
Better than the Civilization series?
In response to JordanUl
Not comparable. Civilization is a 4X land-empire strategy game. Pirates! is a freeform action/adventure game.

Anyway, I never liked Civilization -- too abstract for my tastes -- so if I'm asked to say which one was better despite them being apples and oranges, I'm unfairly biased for Pirates!. =)
In response to Thorg
I'm getting the free kind that doesn't come with a CD or anything... >_>

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
Kujila wrote:
I'm getting the free kind that doesn't come with a CD or anything... >_>

~Kujila

Really? Me too!
In response to Kujila
You people are scum. And I'm not saying that in satire. I hope you guys get banned for that.

I'm not kidding.
In response to Spuzzum
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I still get the game for freeeee!

~Kujila
In response to Spuzzum
I'm speaking enjoyment-wise. I could compare Monopoly to counter-strike if I wished.

I have the Civilizations, and Alpha Centauri. But I'm really into the Civ's right now and I'm wondering if it would be worth my money to buy it now or wait till I'm bored with Civ 3.
In response to Kujila
Kujila wrote:
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I still get the game for freeeee!

~Kujila

It's too bad I don't work for Dantom, or there would be a Fed at your door by now. >.>

It's not even so much that you are stealing, and costing me money, (though that is part of it), it's primarily that you have no shame. Most criminals tend to be a bit more discreet about who they tell their business. It's probably not the best idea to constantly brag about your illegal activities on a public forum. Especially a forum where a number of the moderators are professional or semi-professional musicians and programmers.
In response to JordanUl
You can never get board of Civ 3 (Alpha Centauri I never liked to much)... But anyway you can't compare enjoyment-wise it's to opion baised. But get the game anyway it's good.
Page: 1 2