ID:187418

Recently this computer has taken to playing sounds oddly, it sounds like it's playing them faster than it should (chipmunk sounding voices, etc..) it plays sounds in DOS-like applications fine, and the sound in my old ROM files sounds perfect, but everything else is playing oddly, I don't think it's hardware because it works in some places and not others. Anybody know of any causes for this? Any help is appreciated.
I ran into this when I worked at a University. It turned out that the sound card drivers were wrong. Try updating them.
What sound card is it? Some cards have 'environment' settings like "Zeus" and "Chipmunk", which can be annoying if you don't know that they're on.
Nadrew wrote:
Recently this computer has taken to playing sounds oddly, it sounds like it's playing them faster than it should (chipmunk sounding voices, etc..) it plays sounds in DOS-like applications fine, and the sound in my old ROM files sounds perfect, but everything else is playing oddly, I don't think it's hardware because it works in some places and not others. Anybody know of any causes for this? Any help is appreciated.

You already partially answered your own question. :/

Creative cards never do this, and that's the only sound card i will buy. All the others seem to suck. :|