ID:187498

I can't help but snort derisively at this page's background section:

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/xx.html
Hey, it's a site made for the US government. What do you expect? If Sudam had a site like that made about his government while he was still there, it would probably be the same except with all instances of US replaces by Iraq. "the ultimate emergence of Iraq as the only world superpower"

People often tend to look at their nation as being the world. If you ask a lot of people here in the US about world history, it will probably be mostly US history. "Then there was the declaration of independence, then there was a civil war..."

So yes, bias indeed.
In response to Loduwijk
I dunno, the Brits know more about american history than we americans ever will... Heh, who needs history when you can buy a rifle, and climb a belltower... >.>
Bwahahahah! Watch our super-powers swallow the world whole! MUAHAHAHH!
In response to Kunark
Yep. We will eat all foreign-born-ers...ers....erners...

~Kujila
Well, the USSR and the USA were considered the world's superpowers and with the collapse of the USSR, that left the USA as the world's sole superpower.

What is a superpower? Generally, it means a country powerful enough to influence or control world events. Arguably, coalitions such as the EU and the Pacific Alliance would qualify except that they are not single nations.
In response to Jmurph
I just disagree with the way the definition is applied.

Every developed nation out there has substantial world power. Germany could invade Poland if it wanted to, and it could do a damned good job of it. If the United States came rolling in, they might win, but it'd be a very bloody war.

Being the most powerful doesn't necessary make you the only superpower.
In response to Spuzzum
But superpower isn't only defined with military might. Back in WWII the Germans had no concept of superpower until the USA stepped. They would produce anywhere around 550 planes a month, Britian slightly less. Then the USA went into wartime production. Were talking 20,000 planes a month. Then theres the fact that the entire worlds economy is tied to the states. Some European countries may be powerful but they don't know about the kind of money that circulates through the USA. Economy and industry play a role in the whole 'superpower' business too.
In response to JordanUl
But at the same time, you have to admire the fact that Europe's out there fighting crime every night when they're just some guy in a suit. Yeah, they've got the training and the gizmos, but they worked for that. That takes dedication. The United States might seem pretty impressive, but when you consider it was just lucky enough to be the only survivor of a doomed planet and it's purely a fluke that the radiation of our sun and the environment of our planet gives it such phenomenonal abilities. If the United States didn't have the advantages of a superpower, they might still be a pretty good guy but wouldn't be a hero.
In response to Hedgemistress
Me is confuzzled. Are you comparing Batman and Superman??? Me is really confuzzled... o_0
So many innuendoes. Thanks Lexy.
In response to Artekia
No, I'm comparing Europe and the United States. Didn't you read the post? :P
bah- i read it twice, and thought you were talking about superheroes at first. me thinks you are writing too much :p

(love the stories so far, by the way)
In response to JordanUl
JordanUl wrote:
Then theres the fact that the entire worlds economy is tied to the states. Some European countries may be powerful but they don't know about the kind of money that circulates through the USA. Economy and industry play a role in the whole 'superpower' business too.

Economy and industry, AKA oil. :)
If for some strange reason, the entire world decided to switch to using Euros to buy and sell oil, the United States would be in a world of trouble.
In response to Jon88
It might struggle at first but it's not as if it would be third world.

It's also not going to happen so we don't have to worry about it. Heh.
In response to digitalmouse
Sarcasm doesn't travel too well through the written word, eh?
In response to JordanUl
JordanUl wrote:
It might struggle at first but it's not as if it would be third world.

It's also not going to happen so we don't have to worry about it. Heh.

Maybe not, but the deflation would be crazy. Everyone would be cashing in their dollars for euros. Lots of countries keep some US currency handy to buy oil.
In response to Jon88
Which is why I don't see every country wanting to go for Euro's anytime soon :).
In response to Jon88
If for some strange reason, the entire world decided to switch to using Euros to buy and sell oil, the United States would be in a world of trouble.

Supposedly* Iraq was in negotiations to switch to using Euros for oil trade right before the US invaded. There's quite a few crazy theories about what that :-)
(some of which aren't so crazy)

* I say supposedly because I haven't heard this from a completely reliable source, but I've heard it a few times from sources that aren't totally unreliable.