In response to Smoko
Smoko wrote:
Its all fixed (kinda)

I've finally talk my mum and dad into trying *nix. Ive got a week to teach them all I can about it and it can stay ^_^

Woot, go *nix, go *nix, go *nix :P.

<EMOTE>
runs out to buy more cds, downloads redhat linux and burns it to the cd. Runs out, buys another PC, install Redhat, W00t, ::Now has a server::
</EMOTE>

Just pretend that the emote tags exist :P
In response to Lenox
Im using SuSE 9.0 Pro

I also have:
Mandrake 10 Community
Elx
Fedora Core 2
DSL
Lindows
Knoppix
Debian
In response to Smoko
Well, good luck!

If they're stubborn enough to refuse changing from 98 to XP, then you'll need good luck to convince them to change from 98 to Linux. =P
In response to Smoko
good luck with that smoko- they can always ask us questions here. if they are really stuck on using a particular program in windows, it might run under Linux Wine ok, so they may not need to learn a new program for the same functionality.
In response to Crispy
I always refuse to buy Microsoft "Natural" keyboards. The layout is just so, well, unnatural. A standard rectangular keyboard doesn't have an odd split down the middle for no particular reason that I know of, doesn't force me to bend my hands around in an uncomfortable "ergonomic"* fashion while typing, and is usually cheaper to boot.

* Oh the irony. Why is it that so-called "ergonomic" products are usually very uncomfortable after extended periods? Like those weird curvy right-handed-only mice that Microsoft used to sell (and possibly still does, I don't know). They hurt my hand after prolonged use; yet my standard no-name-brand non-handedness-specific optical wheelmouse with no special ergonomic features has never given me so much as a muscle twinge.

I have to say the exact opposite. My MS keyboard is extremely comfortable -- I can often wake up in the morning and do notes for The Haven Seed straight until dusk, without feeling any signs of fatigue anywhere except in the muscle between my ears, my spine and -- ahem -- rear, and in the metacarpals of the thick fleshy part of my palm (the part which rests against the keyboard base). The rest, including my wrists, feels fine.

"Naturally" (*snerk*), you have to be fairly consistent with your touch typing for the natural keyboard to be of any value, though. If your fingers drift out of home row often, you're not going to appreciate the comfort.

The only complaint I have with the keyboard (other than the missed key repetition events) is that the 6 key is in the wrong place: it's attached to the left instead of the right, when the six is supposed to be pressed with the right index.
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
I have to say the exact opposite. My MS keyboard is extremely comfortable -- I can often wake up in the morning and do notes for The Haven Seed straight until dusk, without feeling any signs of fatigue anywhere except in the muscle between my ears, my spine and -- ahem -- rear, and in the metacarpals of the thick fleshy part of my palm (the part which rests against the keyboard base). The rest, including my wrists, feels fine.

I never have any pain in my hands at all. Fingers, palm, wrist; they're all fine.

"Naturally" (*snerk*), you have to be fairly consistent with your touch typing for the natural keyboard to be of any value, though. If your fingers drift out of home row often, you're not going to appreciate the comfort.

This is probably why I don't like them. I'll be the first to admit I don't touch-type "properly". I still manage to type at a decent speed though.
Page: 1 2