ID:187525

I some how deleated the HIMEM.sys file on my mum and dads comp. Im thinking re-install windows again but Im not sure if it would wipe their drive clean. It doesnt with Win2k but will it with 98? Anyone know?

**Note**
Dont tell me to use XP or anything because they like 98, Ive tryed installing several *unix OS's and other versions of windows but they like 98 better
Install Windows 95. Maybe they'll like it more. >.> :P

Why do you need to re-install windows for a single file? If you have a windows 98 bootdisk, you have the file and can just copy it to the hard drive. There might even be an uncompressed copy on the installation cd itself.
http://www.techadvice.com/specs/files_dl.asp?fnid=28456

Theres a link to download himem.sys, one way to get it on there is to download BartPE then burn it with himem.sys on the disk and copy it over to the 98 install.
In response to Jon88
I dont have a boot disk because my drive is stuffed, and There isnt one on the CD
**Note**
Dont tell me to use XP or anything because they like 98, Ive tryed installing several *unix OS's and other versions of windows but they like 98 better

Ok, Well a novice would never like *unix based OS's, But with Windows XP you can use the clasic theme which makes it look much like 98 without the crashs and such :P
In response to Xzar
When I tryed my first *nix system I loved it. It was a bit strange at first, but now I can use it link a windows comp.

They hate the classic theme on XP, and they mainly want 98 for the steering wheel they have, and some of their older games
In response to Xzar
You COULD go back to MS-Dos v6.22, or Windows 3.1, I personally loved 3.1..lol.

<offtopic>I still have my 3.1 floppies, as well as my MSDos 6.22 floppies :P. Then, I have an awesome game called "Lost in Time" by Sierra, it owns, but it's 12 floppies X_X. :P </offtopic>
In response to Smoko
Sigh. The basic, ever pervasive, NOO!!! ITS DIFFERENT!!! syndrome that so many people seem to suffer from. A person can get used to practically anything with enough time. (Things involving pain don't count, by the way. :P)

Try installing XP, but make it look like Win 98 (skin it), and tell them that it's Win 98. It works with browsers. It may look like IE, have the IE icon, and say that it's IE, but it's firefox so users don't complain. :)
In response to Lenox
Lenox wrote:
You COULD go back to MS-Dos v6.22, or Windows 3.1, I personally loved 3.1..lol.

<offtopic>I still have my 3.1 floppies, as well as my MSDos 6.22 floppies :P. Then, I have an awesome game called "Lost in Time" by Sierra, it owns, but it's 12 floppies X_X. :P </offtopic>

Windows 3.11 > Windows 3.1

:P

DOS 6.22 was great, though. So many fun games that I can no longer play on XP. :(
In response to Jon88
<offtopic> Lost in Time was one of the good games, we also have Jeopoardy, the 25th anniversary edition :P as well as Jungle of Doom , Hocus Pocus, Raptor(I don't know exactly what that is), and more </offtopic>

I'd have to say that Redhat 9 is the one of THE best *nix based OS-es. It was easy to use, etc. The only REAL problem I had was hosting my webserver, but that was because my router doesn't allow me to open ports like 80(HTTP) or 1080(The most commonly used APACHE ports). I don't know why, but it LOVES to block ports that allow you to run servers. What I need is a hub or switch..lol
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
Sigh. The basic, ever pervasive, NOO!!! ITS DIFFERENT!!! syndrome that so many people seem to suffer from. A person can get used to practically anything with enough time. (Things involving pain don't count, by the way. :P)

Try installing XP, but make it look like Win 98 (skin it), and tell them that it's Win 98. It works with browsers. It may look like IE, have the IE icon, and say that it's IE, but it's firefox so users don't complain. :)

Yea, XP you can make all most every thing look like Windows 98. But with FF they will know as soon as they goto a site that needs active X :P. (The new AOL netscape is looking interesting)

I find IE in SP2 good at keeping the junk off the system, Thats what I mostly use, I do use FF for RSS feeds through :P.
In response to Xzar
Xzar wrote:
Jon88 wrote:

Yea, XP you can make all most every thing look like Windows 98. But with FF they will know as soon as they goto a site that needs active X :P. (The new AOL netscape is looking interesting)

I find IE in SP2 good at keeping the junk off the system, Thats what I mostly use, I do use FF for RSS feeds through :P.

I though FF could use active X. I know Opera cant. The beta of opera sort of works with it. You can login to gmail with opera(beta) and firefox, and gmail uses activex
In response to Smoko
Do you have the Win98 upgrade or the clean install disc/ks? If you have the clean install disc/ks, there is a boot disk included. If you can't find it, get a floppy, copy the himem file from wherever it was you could download it and put it back onto the PC (in C:\Windows for me).
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
DOS 6.22 was great, though. So many fun games that I can no longer play on XP. :(

That's what I thought. Then someone reminded me about this:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

Now I can play all of the old games I couldn't play because of XP. (And sometimes I couldn't even play them under 98.) Yay! =)
In response to Smoko
Smoko wrote:
I dont have a boot disk because my drive is stuffed, and There isnt one on the CD

maybe you misunderstood... your drive being stuffed has nothing to do with the Win98 bootdisk. if you do not have one, Windows98 can create one for you (though if it needs the himem file to copy over then that is a problem- just get one from someone else who has win98).

or just download the file from the net as suggested earlier- it won't take up much space (in fact it only replaces what you erased anyway), put it on a diskette, boot the computer (any way you can- via Win98 CD or Win98 boot disk or even a LiveCD Linux distro that can read FAT32 partitions, and copy the file over into the right spot. no re-formatting or re-installing necessary.
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
That's what I thought. Then someone reminded me about this:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

Now I can play all of the old games I couldn't play because of XP. (And sometimes I couldn't even play them under 98.) Yay! =)

I still can't play some of them. My computer can't emulate DOS and its graphics and sound fast enough for some games. Also, some DOS games could have you pressing multiple keys at once. With new keyboards, there seems to be a limit of 2 or so at a time(not counting Ctrl, Shift, or Alt though).
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
I still can't play some of them. My computer can't emulate DOS and its graphics and sound fast enough for some games.

That sucks. =\

Also, some DOS games could have you pressing multiple keys at once. With new keyboards, there seems to be a limit of 2 or so at a time(not counting Ctrl, Shift, or Alt though).

I don't think it's so much a new/old thing; it depends on the keyboard. Mine is fine with it.
In response to Crispy
Also, some DOS games could have you pressing multiple keys at once. With new keyboards, there seems to be a limit of 2 or so at a time(not counting Ctrl, Shift, or Alt though).

I don't think it's so much a new/old thing; it depends on the keyboard. Mine is fine with it.

Microsoft Natural keyboards are notorious for this.

I'm thinking that once my keyboard outstays its welcome, I'm moving to a standard square keyboard.
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
I'm thinking that once my keyboard outstays its welcome, I'm moving to a standard square keyboard.

I always refuse to buy Microsoft "Natural" keyboards. The layout is just so, well, unnatural. A standard rectangular keyboard doesn't have an odd split down the middle for no particular reason that I know of, doesn't force me to bend my hands around in an uncomfortable "ergonomic"* fashion while typing, and is usually cheaper to boot.

* Oh the irony. Why is it that so-called "ergonomic" products are usually very uncomfortable after extended periods? Like those weird curvy right-handed-only mice that Microsoft used to sell (and possibly still does, I don't know). They hurt my hand after prolonged use; yet my standard no-name-brand non-handedness-specific optical wheelmouse with no special ergonomic features has never given me so much as a muscle twinge.
Its all fixed (kinda)

I've finally talk my mum and dad into trying *nix. Ive got a week to teach them all I can about it and it can stay ^_^
Page: 1 2