In response to Kaga-Kami
Kaga-Kami wrote:
Once you have protection using software, you hardly ever have to do anything. Why even change?

Until the odd piece of new spyware comes along that no decent anti-spyware program knows about yet. It's happened. There are a few I've heard of that were an absolute PAIN to get rid of for the unfortunate IE users who'd caught them.

True, Firefox isn't completely secure either. But at least they're finding and fixing the exploits on a regular basis. There's even a $500 bounty for finding bugs in Firefox! The developers are really serious about this. By contrast, Microsoft doesn't always patch the exploits, and when they do it's usually in the form of "critical security patches" that hardly anyone ever installs.

And finally, the exploits that do get through Firefox are the reason that I still have my spyware remover tools. I have a double layer of protection, which is always better than just one of those layers by itself.

It just makes everything mess up anyway, with two browsers, you cn have mixed up registry paths and everything. It's just not worth downloding anything else, really.

Mixed up registry paths? I've never even heard of such a problem. For any application. Firefox imports all settings from IE when you first run it, and you can do so later on by just going File -> Import.

I'm not even sure that Firefox uses the registry for very much at all. (Which is a good thing, the registry is large and clunky.) It's cross-platform, remember, and Linux has no equivalent to the registry. Most of its settings are in configuration files.

*searches the registry* It's referenced in the registry where it's associated with files, registered as an application. All of which it does perfectly seamlessly (after asking you nicely if you want to make Firefox the default browser, of course). Reverting those settings is as simple as opening up IE, going to its options page, and click "Make default browser" or whatever the button is called. So no problem there.

It also stores various paths and uninstallation information, all of which have zero possibility of conflicting with IE. No problem there.

So I really don't see any registry-related problems, and I've looked pretty hard. Care to elaborate on that?
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
We're all human, OFD. What, moderators aren't supposed to have emotions and opinions now? Whoops. Guess I'd better get to writing that ForumModeratorBot. Then we can fire all the forum moderators and get on with the important things in life, like flaming the automated moderator script. =P

On another forum I went to, the admin actually tried applying one for fun. We even got to argue with it but he had to shut it down when it began to publicly display IP addresses.
There are just some jobs that a computer shouldn't replace. :)
In response to Smoko
Smoko wrote:
And once again, I would rather download FireFox and see the internet properly.

i'll be using IE until this looks like this. i didn't expect all of the things to work outside of IE, but i expected that most would. but, they don't. maybe i could make them work in other browers, but i shouldn't have to.

edit: also, i don't seem to ever have the same problems that other windows/IE users have. they always complain about service packs ruining their lives and having to reboot so often and having so much spyware. i get spyware, but its only spyware because spybot calls it that. today is the 32nd straight day i've gone without rebooting, but i guess i'm just doing something wrong. i've never had any problems with IE, and FireFox still doesn't support all of the javascript i'd like.
In response to Smoko
I said a real update

Wow, it's easy to win this kind of argument when you put yourself in charge of deciding what is and isn't a real update. Why don't we just define a "real update" as any update to FireFox and a "minor tweak" as any update to to IE? Hey, you win!

By your logic, a technically perfect browser would be the worst browser because it would never change its core. The consensus seems to be that IE renders pages a little bit faster than Firefox... so why would they need to "update" in this respect? There does come a point at which a program reaches maximum efficiency, and before that, there is a point of diminishing returns.
In response to OneFishDown
OneFishDown wrote:
edit: also, i don't seem to ever have the same problems that other windows/IE users have. they always complain about service packs ruining their lives and having to reboot so often and having so much spyware. i get spyware, but its only spyware because spybot calls it that. today is the 32nd straight day i've gone without rebooting, but i guess i'm just doing something wrong. i've never had any problems with IE, and FireFox still doesn't support all of the javascript i'd like.

You darn Americans and not switching off computers...

It's called "Conservation"!
i'll be using IE until this looks like this. i didn't expect all of the things to work outside of IE, but i expected that most would. but, they don't.

That looks like it could be handled perfectly well with mainstream standard CSS (the background-color attribute in particular). http://www.w3schools.com/ is a great place to learn CSS.

The reason I say that is so you make your pages cross-compatible with any browser, not to convince you to use another browser.

Forcing people to use a specific browser to read a site of yours is like telling black people that they aren't allowed to read your site. Yes, one is far worse than the other, but the first is still a lazy form of discrimination; "Oh, these people don't use IE, so therefore their interests are divergent, therefore they're stupid."

maybe i could make them work in other browers, but i shouldn't have to.

Other browser companies shouldn't have to make their browsers read extensions from Microsoft, either.
In response to Kaga-Kami
... if they dont take care of there computer its there fault not ours...
OneFishDown wrote:
and FireFox still doesn't support all of the javascript i'd like.

It doesn't support all of the javascript you'd like or it doesn't support it in the way that you'd like it? IE does some weird non-standard stuff.
In response to Smoko
Smoko wrote:
Not really, and I would rather not have to scan for spyware as often than as much as I would with IE. And the extensions for FireFox make life easier.

And once again, I would rather download FireFox and see the internet properly.

Not only does it cause more hassle on you're computer, it gets in the way of other things. You have to find and download extensions to play movies or listen to music, tab, and anything else it has. It comes stripped of all of the features built into IE and allows the users to develop extensions. This is the WRONG way to make a browser.

And when it isn't making you waste your time, it makes you lazier! And even then, you can't view sites made specifically for the browser that is most generally used.

Nothing can be perfect, but some idiot thought the internet could be and that's why Firefox exists.
In response to Smoko
Smoko wrote:
Nadrew wrote:
You can get an IE wrapper program called MyIE2 that does all that, but I agree Firefox is better, but IE still comes in handy.

Gah, MyIE2 is still based off the crappy IE core, its just got a pop-p blocker and some other stuff

They have changed the name to Maxthon a while ago, and I must say that it's very nice. The popupblocker is excellent, it's fast, and they have started to fix IE bugs as well!

We have to use 4 browsers to see if the designs we make are compatible with them all. I'm totally amazed how it can look good in IE and Firefox/Netscape, but not in Opera. And then you fix one little thing and Opera and IE looks fine, but then Firefox breaks down. It's such a mess, and sometimes I feel like ignoring everything but IE since 75-80% of all users are using IE. But I can't. I love free software.

/Gazoot
In response to Kaga-Kami
It's a computer, not the Neopet from Hell. When I want to do something on my computer, it's to do what I'd rather want to do, and not waste time having to fix problems that would otherwise be avoidable completely if I can take those steps.

Maybe you're right, though. While I'm at it, I shouldn't let the house I live in stay in good condition. I'll let it fall apart so I can put it back together. It gives me something to do, and I won't be lazy for trying to rebuild something that shouldn't have collapsed in the first place.
In response to Critical
Critical wrote:
People can use what they want, but seriously if i use IE for about 10 minutes i'll have about 20 different spyware apps installed on my computer. And the fact that it doesnt block popups is a big turn off. Firefox doesnt allow sites to install spyware on your comptuer and thats why i use it.

I'm using an updated version of IE, called MYIE2. It works just the same as Mozilla, except I think it's a bit faster when I compared the two.
In response to Teh Governator
Everyone thinks there browser is faster, but in real life they're just use to the compression style it uses. There isn't a "fastest" browser.
In response to Kaga-Kami
If one page uses a superior compression style, and the page decompresses and loads up faster I would consider this to be speed. When dial-up modems were still popular they made several compression styles to send information in smaller packet sizes. Did the modems data exchange rate change much? No. Did the speeds change much? Yes.
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
Other browser companies shouldn't have to make their browsers read extensions from Microsoft, either.

Though it would be a good conversion tactic =)
In response to SSJ2GohanDBGT
See, the thing is, even after changing the compression style of a browser, you still have to worry about the compression rate, unlike on dial-up modems.

And also, you can only load a page as fast as your ISP can, so in the end, browsers don't mean jack! Losers! :P
In response to Kaga-Kami
And also, you can only load a page as fast as your ISP can, so in the end, browsers don't mean jack!

That makes no sense. You can only load a page as fast as the the total combined slowness of all parts of the equation... the server the page is on, all the hops between, the ISP, your computer, and the browser. Make any one of those slower, and the end result is slower.
In response to Hedgemistress
Yeah, but we're talking about the compression rate, not the end result.

Besides, the end result would always come out the same.
In response to Kaga-Kami
No, it won't. If I write a 2,000 line program to compute the digits of pi to an unlimited degree, and someone else writes a 2,000 line program to compute the digits of pi to an unlimited degree, I can guarantee you that, even if our programs wind up having the exact same number of lines, one program will be faster than the other, and quite likely one will be evidently faster.

Mozilla/Netscape is very noticeably slower at rendering tables and certain things compared to MSIE. But Mozilla/Netscape is far superior at the amount of standard HTML/CSS it supports.
Some CSS designs won't show up on Firefox, as they do on IE.

For example, go to this address:
http://s3.invisionfree.com/Pokemon_Paradise/ index.php?showtopic=14

On IE, then go to it on Firefox.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6