ID:1877609

BYOND Version:508
Operating System:Windows 8
Web Browser:Firefox 38.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I don't know what can be done about this but the layering keeps on gettting changed whenever step() is called. Sometimes from the front, the NPC's layer is higher than mine. Sometimes it's from the back and randomly sometimes, it's just working fine. Here's an example:

layering bug

More info:
-Map_format = TOPDOWN_MAP
-Both mobs have the same layer, mob_layer.
-I've been playing with the bounds to see if it changed anything but nope. In that test I was using: a bound_width of 16 and a bound_height of 32
Bug reports really need more info than this.

Especially it would help to know:

1) What map format are you using?
2) Do the mobs share the same layer? Are you altering the layer at any point?
3) What bounds do they have?

The effect you're going for where they're sort of a 3/4 view is what SIDE_MAP is for. SIDE_MAP's layering is imperfect because it doesn't sort topologically (yet!) but it should be able to handle simple cases like this. But in TOPDOWN_MAP format, you're not going to get consistent results without changing the layer on every Y coordinate change.
Kidpaddle45 wrote:
Edited my first post, and yeah in TOPDOWN map it is indeed working. When you say yet, is it because you're working on it? :D

Wait, it is working in TOPDOWN_MAP or it isn't? Your edited post says the format is TOPDOWN_MAP, implying that's the one that isn't working.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Bug reports really need more info than this.

Especially it would help to know:

1) What map format are you using?
2) Do the mobs share the same layer? Are you altering the layer at any point?
3) What bounds do they have?

The effect you're going for where they're sort of a 3/4 view is what SIDE_MAP is for. SIDE_MAP's layering is imperfect because it doesn't sort topologically (yet!) but it should be able to handle simple cases like this. But in TOPDOWN_MAP format, you're not going to get consistent results without changing the layer on every Y coordinate change.

Edited my first post, and yeah in TOPDOWN map it is indeed working. When you say yet, is it because you're working on it? :D

Also, now in side_map format, my shadows no matter how low I set their layers, go on top of the mobs/turfs - which isn't supposed to be the case.

I'm generating the shadows as object and setting them as underlays.
I'm not working on side/isometric layering yet, but I do have future plans to. I have other stuff I need to get out of the way first.

[edit]
Looks like I don't have an answer yet. Is TOPDOWN_MAP working or isn't it? Which map format is represented in that .gif?
The shadows are generated using my library found here:
http://www.byond.com/developer/Kidpaddle45/ShadowGenerator

It works perfectly in TOPDOWN_MAP but when I switch to SIDE_MAP, it no longer works and the shadows are always on top no matter how low I set the layers. Again,I add them as underlays to each obj/mob.
Are the shadows using FLOAT_LAYER? Because if they're using any other layer, they're going to try to render differently. Also negative pixel_y offsets would be an issue with the current SIDE_MAP layering, as I recall.

Of course I'm not sure there is a way to get your shadow-below-object to work in SIDE_MAP, because the shadow is always going to be tied to the parent object's Y position. Even with topological sorting, I think SIDE_MAP is not going to handle this case unless the shadow is a separate object and anchored to the tile below. The SIDE_MAP format always wants to draw southward tiles on top of northward ones.
Could you elaborate on how long until you work on the layering issues with ISO maps? I think that's a rather large flaw with ISO and am dealing with it in my current project. Specifically when I use maptext is glitches the layers in the exact bounds of the maptext box. Should I file a separate report for that?
I can't elaborate on when that will be yet, no. It's not coming up just yet, but it's been on my mind a long time and I have algorithms partially done to handle it. There are too many other items on my schedule for the very near term for me to dive into it as I'd like.

Maptext has been kind of iffy with isometric because it doesn't want to layer like a physical object, so I would tend to suggest putting that in EFFECTS_LAYER or such.
Thanks. Will try effects layer after work.
Fixed my issue, thanks!