ID:187774

Looks like someone is breaking the rules, I logged into the only Naruto game and saw that The owner has been getting "Donations" from people for Houses,Stats and such, is it just me or is this a big NO NO?? I mean it is a fangame. I also came across this link.

http://vonfanel.00freehost.com
This has been dealt with.
You can't get money on a fan game?
In response to CodingSkillz2
You can't get money on a fan game?

Not if you want it on the hub. If you advertise yourself in other ways you can risk not getting a serious lawsuit from the copyright holders.
In response to Theodis
What if I do get permission?
In response to CodingSkillz2
What if I do get permission?

Hah! Considering the pain proffesional companies have to go through to do licensed games I highly doubt you'll be getting permission from any copyright holders to be able to sell fan based material.
In response to Theodis
Surprisingly, most companies don't care if you are selling things only in-game, but they are rather offended by charging to play. Plus, most companies don't care if the game doesn't gross more than a couple of dollars. Though, it still doesn't mean it's right.
In response to Ter13
You cannot possibly speak for "most companies". So what gives you the right to say this?
In response to Razor52
Razor52 wrote:
You cannot possibly speak for "most companies". So what gives you the right to say this?

In actual fact, it is against the law to sell something that was create and copywrited by someone else. Hence the term copywrite. In some cases you cannot even make a game(for non profit) and post it somewhere. This is true. Back when I was in high school, a teacher there programmed some code to simplify playing the pencil and paper game Star Fleet Battles (a decade or so before the PC Star Trek games). He contacted the copywrite company for some info and they strictly told him that he had to stop or there would be a lawsuit. This was something that just about 8 people used or knew about.

I guess you could say, if you've heard of the company, it would fall under the "most companies" as stated above. It is concidered theft.
In response to Jik
I was simply criticizing ter13 for his post stating that "most companies" dont care if you sell something in the game. I know all about copyrights. Maybe we both jumped the gun a little?
In response to Razor52
Razor52 wrote:
I was simply criticizing ter13 for his post stating that "most companies" dont care if you sell something in the game. I know all about copyrights. Maybe we both jumped the gun a little?

Sorry man... Ya I missed the thread you were following.... =(

but it is as serious as the one holding the copywrite wants it to be. And rightly understood. If you create something and someone else takes the time and effort you spend and turns out a quick plug for themself using your idea, you'd feel robbed too (I've had work stolen and sold from me...)
In response to Razor52
YOu know, I don't need a right to say something, but what made me feel the statement was correct? Common Sense. Any of the four companies I've talked to, Nintendo ltd., Bird Studio, Toei, and Bungie, claim that minour profits aren't acceptable, however, it DOES depend upon what you are selling. Bird Studio and Toei in particular claim that selling "Administrator access" and "Enhanced features having nothing to do with copyrighted material" aren't that much of a problem. However, what is a problem is selling access to ideas and material under ownership of their company.

I don't think a company would really track you down for a $3.50 profit. Do you know how much money a lawsuit would cost?
In response to Jik
I never said it was right, I merely said it isn't neccessarily as punishable as most would have you believe.
In response to Jik
Jik wrote:
In actual fact, it is against the law to sell something that was create and copywrited by someone else. Hence the term copywrite.

Just to get pedantic on you, since you're using it a lot, the actual term is copyright. As in rights, not writing.

Lummox JR
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I don't think a company would really track you down for a $3.50 profit. Do you know how much money a lawsuit would cost?

The costs will come out of the loser's pocket. The company will win because their copyright is well documented. Then the defendant will have to pay the court costs in addition to whatever damages the court awards to the company. A simple BYOND game that earns a mere $3.50 could cost the defendant (and his/her caretaker for people who think being underage protects them) several thousand.

It's not a smart gamble. Contact the copyright owner for permission. Then you know for certain where they stand on the issue.
In response to Ter13
3.50? From the info I've gathered from a friend, The owner has already sold a House, a Character and some STats for 20 Bucks and has other characters up for sale for 50 Bucks. I'm sure he's made more then 20 bucks but thats all I know for now.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Jik wrote:
In actual fact, it is against the law to sell something that was create and copywrited by someone else. Hence the term copywrite.

Just to get pedantic on you, since you're using it a lot, the actual term is copyright. As in rights, not writing.

Lummox JR

I stand corrected... =(
In response to Kunark
Not Really, Since he still plans to Sell Crap whether his game is in the Fan game or Unplublished section.

He just made some more cash today......
Yeah, he should be using cameoa.com instead of 00freehost ;P

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
lol, Well I did all I can do, I just got in a big Flame War with basically the whole server, telling me to shut up, Stop "Trolling", Stop Kissing Dantoms Ass and such.

*sigh*