I've still left the door ajar where it comes to CEF. But it's a major undertaking, far more so than is commonly thought.

[edit]
To clarify more, I too would dearly love to move away from IE as the embedded browser. And having CEF would also make it easier to move to a setup where the entire interface could be done via webclient.
I'm sure there would be people willing to help you make the move, including me. I guess it starts the debate of open source or not; because this feature would benefit so many.
He's got a point though. Not only would moving to a modern integrated browser guarantee to advertisers that their ads would be seen, but you could ditch dreamseeker completely.
Just make neo-dreamseeker a fancy frontend for launching the integrated browser so you can run the webclient in it.

You could easily make dreamseeker cross-platform if you did that.
FFox has some interesting advantages, but Chrome IMO is a better specification for a lot of reasons.

Though I'll be honest if Script execution events and scoped style elements look sexy. On the other hand, I'd really like to adopt Shadow DOM and Firefox and the W3C (dominated by Firefox developers) is not looking to support it as a standard.

My major complaint is the lack of marketshare:

http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

Firefox has been losing the battle for dominance and it's hanging in there, but ever since about 2009 it's been on a serious downward slope in adoption.

Of course, I guess that's in no small part due to the fact that Google basically owns the web.

I wish this wasn't something that was so difficult, because while it's great that we can force IE into edge mode in DS, IE11 is still way behind every modern browser. I'd say "every other", but that'd give IE11 too much credit.
Firefox's losses of share have accelerated since Australis. And even before that, really. Their UX team is a bunch of gibbering buttmonkeys. But Firefox still owns Chrome where it comes to add-on capabilities and (in spite of all the UX team's efforts) customization.

CEF does seem like the best solution for integrating a modern browser into an application, though.
Its looking like the choice is between firefox, or CEF1, which only runs in single process mode.

Unless you want to make it work for multi-process mode
In response to MrStonedOne
MrStonedOne wrote:
herp

If he waits to do this until after he's got the webclient working great, then he could just write a multi process frontend launcher for CEF. Standardized and cut down to just what the webclient needs. As an alternative to booting up an entire firefox or chrome or opera (or whatever) browser (that could be any version and have any number of weird unique bugs) to load the webclient.

Then just have the hub byond client launch that instead when connecting to a game.

Gecko embeddability is a hindsight. Don't embed Gecko. Use CEF in multi process mode, because once again multiprocess does not mean requiring multithreading(or atleast, in a way that would inhibit the current singlethreading pipeline.)
CEF is NOT a way to deprecate DreamSeeker. Raw native performance is way too much better to deprecate DS over the webclient, despite how nice the webclient is. CEF is to improve the performance, capability and add functionality for both DreamSeeker and the webclient together, not to drift them apart.
I noticed that there were some projects to enable html5 and css3 on legacy browsers, such as IE8.

https://github.com/afarkas/html5shiv
http://modernizr.com/

You could probably change the renderer of byond's embedded IE to edge by default, and add CSS+HTML5 support inherent.
Then you could use one of those shiv scripts as a fallback if the host browser is older than IE10.

So theoretically, you could ditch flash, and get guaranteed html5 and JS and CSS3 without having to change the browser setup, and it (might) even work on wine.
So theoretically, you could ditch flash, and get guaranteed html5 and JS and CSS3 without having to change the browser setup, and it (might) even work on wine.

It's already possible to force IE into edge mode in BYOND. This enables HTML5 and CSS3.

It uses whatever version of windows is installed on the user's machine by default.

Check out my tutorial on the subject:

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1823526

The above tutorial allows you to put a browser into edge mode as well as detect what version of IE they are using despite IE being broken and not reporting its version properly in quirks mode.
The issue with pure edge mode without the shivs linked to above is the fact that you can't really utilize it without either forcing people to upgrade (not always possible to go above IE8 for people), or having massive inconsistencies between clients in what CSS and HTML is actually supported.
or having massive inconsistencies between clients in what CSS and HTML is actually supported.

That is a real problem.

But let's be honest, I'd rather ditch anybody who is running a browser that was last updated before 2011.
Yeah, I'm probably going to have to at least throw in a 'this stuff is probably gonna look really terrible if you don't update IE' warning on a lot of my stuff in my upcoming project.

I can honestly live with IE10 support, it's been handling my CSS, HTML and javascript needs fantastically so far. Actually surprised me.
That's why the Shiv. You could have IE10 be the baseline support and use those scripts to still support a good number of CSS3 and HTML5 functions on earlier browsers through javascript based fallbacks.
I believe that particular shiv goes all the way to IE6 as minimum requirements.
If you're not going to put any attempts into CEF atleast find a way to disable compatibility mode.
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1823526

This will let you flip IE into edge mode, and I included some code that will let you detect which version of IE is installed.

I posted this further up in the thread.
I've known about that for a long time. The issue is it doesn't work for IE11.
Implementing CEF does a whole lot more than just detecting the IE version.

This is pretty obvious.
Implementing CEF does a whole lot more than just detecting the IE version.

Well yeah. I'm not saying this feature request is useless. I'm just pointing out that HTML5 usage in the browser is already possible for those complaining about the current lack of HTML5 support.

I've known about that for a long time. The issue is it doesn't work for IE11.

It most assuredly does work for IE11. I've just tested it on my machine, and it is reporting that it's running on IE11 and I've accessed IE11-only javascript and CSS features in DS's browser.
Page: 1 2 3 4