ID:187935

I myself am new to setting up a shell server, so to get one running on a Windows 2003 OS exactly what kind of setup would I have to go through? Are there any programs that are specifically needed to get it running, or good/sincere website(s) that anyone can recommend?

All help appriciated.
setting up shell (no gui) services (with user accounts, disk space quotas, etc.) under windows is not for the faint-at-heart. in fact, i can't think of a strictly text-based SSH shell service for Windows (though i could be wrong).

There *is* a series of tutorials that cover the gui shell setup (essentially Terminal Services I think), so that people basically access the server as if it was another Windows machine, complete with login, desktop and icons. check out this place for more info: http://www.visualwin.com/. be prepared to dig deep, and make sure you have the time to spend on learning how to do it right!

also, a hunt on google for something like "shell +services +windows +2003" may give you some help in finding what you need.

personally, i've found that trying to setup shell services (to run a BYOND server for example) is like pulling teeth using Windows. you might have an easier time setting up Linux or FreeBSD as a BYOND game-host server (i'm guessing that is what you want).