ID:188104

What should I use WinAmp or Windows Media Player?
That depends entirely on what you want to do, and which one you prefer to use. Yeah, thats a useless answer, but it's probably the least flame-like one you're going to get in this thread. :P

Personally, I prefer WinAmp for most things, though my wife and kids prefer Media Player. *shrugs*
In response to Flick
Any pros or cons of either?
Winamp (2.85, at that) is good for music and nothing else.

Windows Media Player is good for videos and nothing else.

Therefore, it depends on what you are using the program for.
I prefer Winamp, mostly because it allows you to rip tracks from CDs in a format other than sucky WMA (Windows Media Audio). Winamp crashes occasionally on my computer, but I can live with that, and most people I've talked to don't seem to have a problem with it.

WMA isn't actually that bad; it's just that WMA/WMV files have a 50% chance of crashing the program that's trying to play them, on my computer. Oh, and WMP doesn't allow you to edit the song information and save it back into the file; any changes are recorded in your playlist, which really annoyed me. Particularly as it doesn't store the track number of ripped tracks in the file, only in the playlist, so whenever I reinstalled Windows I'd have to go through and manually re-enter every single track number of every single album I'd ripped, so that they wouldn't all play their tracks in alphabetical order. -_-
In response to Smoko
WMP is a giant lumbering giant that likes to eat system rescorces and small children. It also likes to download crap from the internet on start (Media 'News' - Trailers you could watch, etc)

Winamp ;)

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
Kujila wrote:
WMP is a giant lumbering giant that likes to eat system rescorces and small children. It also likes to download crap from the internet on start (Media 'News' - Trailers you could watch, etc)

Winamp ;)

~Kujila

hehe
In response to Smoko
I personally like winamp, it plays almost as many movies as WMP, and it plays mp3s and whatnot just as good. It is also free, there are lots of skins for it, and it takes next to no resources. All in all, better(IMO).
Winamp is the objectively correct answer.
In response to nick.cash
You know whats better than all of them for playing movies? Zplayer! I've got a copy of it, its powerful, it can play dvds, and you can configure it how you like it.
In response to Critical
http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/

Looks interesting. Has a very clean interface and seems to support a boat-load of schtuff. Too bad the really cool versions cost money.

C'est la vie.
In response to nick.cash
Make a backup cd is what we say. Or look for a backup cd fix. ;) ;) ;)
In response to Scoobert
...and you can rip CD into MP3's rather than that panzy WMA format WMP rips.

~Kujila