ID:1881310

Not Feasible
Applies to:DM Language

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
I think that BYOND could only benefit from a built in PayPal secure payment system. It would only be fair and right that BYOND take a certain percentage of payment made through the API. Devs could sell in game assets/subscriptions and BYOND could take its cut automatically. Players would get features instantly, and know that their payment is secure through paypal. Devs could also easily receive donations if they don't like the idea of selling in game assets. You could also keep track of which fan games are attempting to collect revenue (thus giving BYOND a bad name), and shut them down.

I don't really see any bad side to this feature request, nor do I know if this fits the scope at all. Please think of the opportunity this would create for the Devs, as well as BYOND!
You do this yourself already,

Here's what you need

Webserver
PHP
MySQL with remote access

MySQL library for DM

I have a library somewhere, I should probably upload it... It's not "perfect" but has the basics to get anyone started.
I realize you could jump through hoops to achieve this, however I still think it deserves its own built in function.
Seems like it'd be easier to just build the subscription system into an embedded browser. There's a caveat, though: the embedded browser does not allow cookies.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Seems like it'd be easier to just build the subscription system into an embedded browser. There's a caveat, though: the embedded browser does not allow cookies.

Regardless of cookies (which you don't need in this case). PayPal still needs to return to a specified address (IPN) to ensure payment has gone through correctly, allowing the merchant (Us) to enter the payment details into a Database of some sort.

Simply, you aren't going to do it without,

PHP - MYSQL solution (above) fully automated.
Or Manually checking each purchase and giving the user the items they paid for.
So not feasible? Not a possibility?
That's why I think our subscription system is the better way to go. If I could find a way to make it easier to access from games I'd be all for it, as encouraging (published) games to use our subscription system is a plus.

I don't see this proposal as-is as being feasible, though.
In response to Evi of au
Evi of au wrote:
So not feasible? Not a possibility?

Not in my eyes..

I'll have my library and demo up for you in a tick.
Ok. I appreciate it. Ill have to look for a server later on since I plan to host the game with the web client there anyway.
http://files.byondhome.com/ATHK/db%20%2B%20paypal_src.zip

All the usernames and passwords are in there for PayPal's sandbox and the DB.

Let me know if you have any issues/questions.
Nadrew resolved issue (Not Feasible)
I just realised I never included some key things in the package .. (usernames/passwords for the Sandbox stuff + DB)

I've added this to my profile as a demo with the correct files.

Feel free to use the sandbox accounts when purchasing via this demo.

http://www.byond.com/developer/ATHK/PayPal