ID:1888485

Poll: Which do you prefer? (for programming)

Tabs 83% (36)
Spaces 13% (6)
I have no opinion 2% (1)

Login to vote.

Which do you prefer?

Spaces

A tab could be a different number of columns depending on your environment, but a space is always one column.

In terms of how many spaces (or tabs) constitutes indentation, it's more important to be consistent throughout your code than to use any specific tab stop value.

Tabs

Now, of course, consistency matters more than either one, and a good IDE makes the differences negligible. That said, the point of this thread is to be a holy war, so:
tabs:
  • They're a character specifically meant for indentation
  • They allow developers with different preferences in indentation size to change how it's the code looks without changing the code (separation of data and presentation for the proverbial win!)
  • It's impossible to half-indent something with tabs. So when you copy code from some website that used 3 spaces into your 4-space indented file, you don't have to deal with misalignment.

Tabs r life, life r Tabs
Spaces all the way, with tabs that convert to spaces.
I use tabs and brackets. (I'm use to C# in Unity3D)
Tabs is the only correct answer.
^
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Tabs is the only correct answer.

Left ring finger > left thumb.
I like how everyone has an opinion.
What if you wrap a long line onto the next line--do you just use tabs to indent it under the original line, or do you use spaces to align it against a particular symbol?
In response to DarkCampainger
Personally I have it offset by a tab and a space
if(bool == true){
Stuff = x + y + z
+ w ;
}

I think this might be the default action for Mathematica actually. Operations always begin on the next line though.
In response to DarkCampainger
DarkCampainger wrote:
What if you wrap a long line onto the next line--do you just use tabs to indent it under the original line, or do you use spaces to align it against a particular symbol?

In that case I tab up to the point of the first line, then use spaces for the rest.
I used tabs at the beginning but switched to a 4-spaces indentation later while learning Python. The complications which come with tabs started to arouse in a language where indentation is important... very similar to BYONDs code. I would recommend anyone to go with 4 spaces. Yes, clicking through the indentation can be more bothersome sometimes, but at least you get freed of indentation errors when working in teams (and using all the same standard indentation).
You spacepunks will never be able to match the grace of us, the illustrious tablords. Disgusting freaks.
In response to Conduction
After working with spaces a lot in various pieces of code that were never properly tabbled, I say: Find a way to make tabs work.