ID:188897

Hmm...I was checking out the new channel, fine and dandy but I spotted an error? It shows all the DBZ Games on FanGames.Dragonballz, even illegitimate ones. I thought to be on the main FanGames.Dragonballz channel you couldn't have subscription's or charge for any sorts, and you had to be reviewed to be on there? If it's not a bug, then my apologies.
Goku72 wrote:
Hmm...I was checking out the new channel, fine and dandy but I spotted an error? It shows all the DBZ Games on FanGames.Dragonballz, even illegitimate ones. I thought to be on the main FanGames.Dragonballz channel you couldn't have subscription's or charge for any sorts, and you had to be reviewed to be on there? If it's not a bug, then my apologies.

With how the system currently works, FanGames.DragonballZ will show live games for any of the DBZ channels including the Unpublished channel. To filter, you need to select one of the sub-channels.

In the future we may create a new kind of Unpublished concept that keeps those from being displayed in the channel, the same way they are in the main BYOND.Games area.

Restrictions on subscriptions for fan games apply to any game on the BYOND hub, no matter what channel it is or isn't a part of. If you are charging for a fan game and it comes to the attention of the BYOND staff, you will be asked to remove the requirement. If you don't comply, the hub entry will be removed.
In response to Deadron
so does that mean if we get our dbz game to be published and it actually become accepted, it will have no different than being unpublished cause it's basically in the same channel?
In response to ZDarkGoku
For now it seems (from this topic) that there is no difference when the games are live. Deadron says there will be in a while.
In response to Maz
Hopefully when this system is set in place, no games with stolen material will be accepted.
In response to ZDarkGoku
It is slightly differnt. While cruising the HUB they are sorted (So all the unpublished games go into FanGames.DragonballZ.Unpublished, and the rest continue normally).
I would like to see them being sorted when on Live, since it takes away from those games that actually get accepted.
In response to Goku72
Double negative, all games with stolen material would then be accepted :P
In response to Goku72
Goku72 wrote:
Hopefully when this system is set in place, no games with stolen material will be accepted.

Since I'm finding a lot of DBZ games that charge, I will repeat what I mentioned elsewhere:

No fan game on the hub is allowed to charge or require a donation, no matter whether it's in a channel or not.

Games that charge will get one chance to change their policy. If they don't, the hub entry will be removed.
In response to Deadron
Just to make things 100% clear too me, does that include optional donations and "donate for stats" donations?
Also I belive it's been stated somewhere else (I think on the Bwicki, but I'm not sure), that it's alright to charge if you aren't in an official channel. That's obviously wrong, but should be hunted down and fixed ASAP.
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:
Just to make things 100% clear too me, does that include optional donations and "donate for stats" donations?

Both of these are wrong, since you shouldn't make money off someone's copyrighted/trademarked material, but we're unlikely to take action in these cases unless there is a complaint.
In response to Deadron
so DBZ games can't have ingame donation verb for power or stat boost?
In response to ZDarkGoku
If it's "donating" then why would you get something out of it? "Donating for stats" is rediculous, that defies the definition of a donation. And, honestly donating for stats is pretty stupid in my opinion, it sincerely defeats the purpose of a game.
In response to ZDarkGoku
ZDarkGoku wrote:
so DBZ games can't have ingame donation verb for power or stat boost?

They shouldn't (it's illegal to make money off someone else's copyrighted/trademarked material without their permission). We're not going to actively attempt to find games that are doing this. However, if a game is brought to our attention for some reason that is engaging in such behavior, the hub entry may be deleted, and the donation information will be lost. So players of such a game are taking a risk.

If you are a game maker who wants to charge donations, we encourage you to create an original game so you will be free to do so. Even an original game inspired by DBZ, just not using their copyrighted/trademarked property (including the DBZ name) is fine.
In response to Deadron
is my game legal? it's not a rip of any dbz game i know of.
In response to ZDarkGoku
ZDarkGoku wrote:
is my game legal? it's not a rip of any dbz game i know of.

It depends on what you are doing.

If you create a game using the characters/name or other copyrighted/trademarked material from someone who hasn't given you permission to do so, it's not legal.

However, it's my understanding that Funimation does give permission to create DBZ fan stuff, so having a DBZ game in itself is fine.

But I don't believe they allow you to make money off their material. Fan stuff, good; commercial activity, bad.

If you are charging in any way (including receiving donations) for a DBZ game, then it's not legal.

The reasons this is being cracked down on are:

- If any company decided to go after BYOND legally for any reason, whether legitimate or not, it would probably end the system. So it's best if people using BYOND don't engage in behavior that might encourage legal action.

- There is quite a lot of fraud out there. We've learned our lesson, and in the future not just anyone will be able to charge for their games using built-in BYOND functionality. In the meantime, whenever a game comes to our attention that is engaging in questionable behavior of any sort, we are likely to remove the hub entry (often after giving the person a chance to fix it themselves, but not always).

It's time for people to clean up their acts. If you want to create fan games, no problem -- BYOND is great for that. Just don't charge people, and for goodness sakes don't cheat people. If you want to make money from your games, BYOND is great for that too, you'll just need to do an original game (it's original even it it's inspired by something, as long as it doesn't use copyrighted/trademarked material).
In response to ZDarkGoku
It's not an issue of being a rip of other DBZ games... the "copyrighted material" in question is the Dragonball characters and series names, etc.