ID:1889485

(See the best response by Nadrew.)
Code:

Problem description:
You never know if your game will get enough players for it to matter if they connect to it from the same computer so they can farm faster. So I put in the uaual check for computer_id and my friend thinks its funny and uses his virtual machine to connect from the same computer with 2 different keys. These keys both showed a different computer_id but the same address. Is there a way to stop people from doing this?

Best response
There's no real method of detecting a virtual machine reliably, best you can do is ban them as you discover them. Virtual machines will rarely share any information with each other that can be read by a developer, as they usually have wildly different setups from each other.
a virtual machine could be a fully legitimate way to play a BYOND game.
There's not really a good way to detect a virtual machine. But it is a legit way of connecting to a BYOND game; especially considering a VM such as VirtualBox may be the only way to use Dream Seeker (rather than the webclient) on Mac or Linux.
One of SS13's users pointed me to some concepts that could be used at the software end to detect VMs. However, SSX is right: that can be a legit way to play, such as if the user is on Linux or a Mac and the webclient isn't in use.

Eventually however I would like to add some info to show when a user is on a VM, so games at least have the option of making an informed decision.