ID:1890523

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Hi. So as you all probably know the map editor now has these new icons. Which is great because they look cool but I think their usability could be greatly enhanced if they had a descriptive name underneath them.

~ Compared to icons from MS Paint

As is the modern standard for interface design.
You can hover your mouse over them for their names, but this would be nice.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
You can hover your mouse over them for their names, but this would be nice.

To quote this

“Universal” Icons Are Rare
There are a few icons that enjoy mostly universal recognition from users. The icons for home, print, and the magnifying glass for search are such instances. Outside of these examples, most icons continue to be ambiguous to users due to their association with different meanings across various interfaces.

Icons Need a Text Label
To help overcome the ambiguity that almost all icons face, a text label must be present alongside an icon to clarify its meaning in that particular context. (And even if you’re using a standard icon, it’s often safer to include a label, especially if you slightly altered the icon to match your aesthetic preferences or constraints.)

Icon labels should be visible at all times, without any interaction from the user. For navigation icons, labels are particularly critical. Don’t rely on hover to reveal text labels: not only does it increase the interaction cost, but it also fails to translate well on touch devices.
In response to Kaiochao
I'm going to update this thread to include the new icon editor icons too.

With the exception of some of the more well known icons here there are a few that need names. If they need names then to make the interface balanced they will all need names just like MS Paint.

For example, what do those arrows mean? A blue square and a red square... And an arrow between them. What does that mean?

The major excuse used will be "Hold your mouse over for a description". That mechanic is not meant as a substitute for naming buttons. It's used as a description should the name and icon fail you.

It's not an excuse, it's a workaround until this feature is resolved.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
It's not an excuse, it's a workaround until this feature is resolved.

It's quite possible that Lummox is going to add these labels in future. Who knows? I'm pre-empting all the people who I know will post here saying "hold your mouse over it duhhh".

I support having a label beside the editor icons.
i agree it would be a little more helpful to include labels under the editing icons
I'm not a huge fan of the new icons. I think they're actually worse than the text boxes which already tell you what each button does without needing to mouse over them.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of the new icons. I think they're actually worse than the text boxes which already tell you what each button does without needing to mouse over them.

Yeah, I agree. It could be that I'm just so used to the old setup that any change is jarring, but I definitely prefer the text boxes. I think that they looked better and were easier to use.
I'm going to bump this post. It's possible that text labels are already being implemented so I apologize if the topic or bump are superfluous.

Is it possible to get a staff member to weigh in? Unlike some of my other feature requests this one seems to have a decent amount of support so I'm thinking it could be worth getting it to a conclusion.
I'm not looking at it yet, but recognizing the support for it I don't intend to ignore it either.
In response to Lummox JR
Thanks for the update. All good.